"easy" songs to learn?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bono_man2002

Blue Crack Addict
i was just wondering...what are some easy songs to learn on the Guitar, i should be getting my first guitar in a couple of weeks...and at the moment, i'm not planning on getting lessons, but what songs did everyone find easy to learn on the guitar?

try electrical storm.
sats.
man alot of u2 is very easy to play on the guitar.
if you get the strumming part down you are set.
desire(but you have to be good with your timing)
ill tell ya some more later.

have fun with your guitar it can be your best friend:yes:
just work on the strumming for now and well talk about the rest later.

thanks everyone,
i hear Angel of harlem is pretty easy to learn also,
but i'm gunna have a go at most of U2 and some other bands songs

Try "Until the End of the World" "The Fly", and quite definitely the Zoo TV Version of "Bullet the Blue Sky."

Ok, UTEOTW isn't that bad, and neither is The Fly. But BTBS Zoo TV is just killer man. Another tough song is All Along the Watchtower Lovetown Tour (NOT R&H), Desire Lovetown Tour, and Electric Co.

Okay, to answer the question, "In A Little While" live is a sweet song. It may be difficult at first but you'll get is sooner or later. SBS is easy, and so is "Still Haven't Found." This one may strain your fingers though (n00bies).

"One" is also a fun song to play, though it is difficult for you first-timers out there. Finally, the song i am playing right now, "Party Girl"

Good times man, have fun

Yeah, why don't you try something Hendrix, Voodoo Child maybe...kidding, kidding.

What Goes On by The Velvet Underground...first song I learned man... Sunday Bloody Sunday, the riff is easy, but I swear I can't do the rest for the life of me. I can't get the timing right. Maybe I should try the chords instead of the lead parts... it's not that they're difficult to do, I just have difficulty with the transitions. Meh.

discothequeLP said:
Flarez, SBS is all chords apart from the main riff!

Except for the solo, and that's not too bad

For newer guitarists it's difficult to achieve the rhythm.

In a Little While is a good choice though... it's got a lot of elements you can play with. The chords are relatively easier (in terms of timing), compared to SBS.

Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses was the first song I learned back in the day... it familiarizes you with G, C, and D. Chords you have to know, unless you're a zen blues prodigy.

When you get some advancement... I'd suggest doing some finger picking like Here Comes The Sun (Beatles/Harrison)... and maybe a little Sweet Child O' Mine (GNR) to complement.

Once you get more in tune with rhythm (pardon the pun), try out soloing and the like... Stairway to Heaven is the culmination of all those skills, and is an intermediate level song.

Good luck.

Last edited:
All the above advice is well-meant I'm sure but there's no substitute to listening to and learning with someone of greater experience and expertise... doesn't have to be a paid teacher, a friend will do fine if they're patient and have at least some technical/musical skill. Guitar is a relatively straightforward instrument to get started on compared to woodwind, brass etc. but the first few weeks are crucial and many people convince themselves they're never going to be any good and give up because they try to do it all on their own and can't... When I started I had one lesson on bass which was enough to get me started on simple 12 bar blues stuff, none on guitar which I started at the same time but I spent a month or two hacking through basic chord shapes such as Em, D, G, F, C etc. every day for up to four hours at a time with a friend who also was a beginner and that got me off the ground. After that I bought song books from bands I knew that showed the chord charts and just learned to play the songs that way... I must have put 100+ hours into Space Oddity... However I don't think I would have stuck it out if it wasn't for the first bass lesson that actually left me able to play a (five note) song at the end of it. So do consider that route too.

Good luck,

Mick

Please read my comment above for my view. If you don't know the first thing about playing the guitar and don't have a friend who knows how to play either then I would have to advise lessons since even the simplest things seem impossible if you're completely new to it.

Mick

I've always loved guitar, and I began to play a few months ago. One of my fav songs was The Fly, the intro is easy.

The worst thing is that I had to stop playing because of school...:huh: I wish I have more time!

Last edited:
All these are chord songs, not tabs:

Desire (POPMart Acoustic Version) is easy, I can even play it. (I've had no lessons or anything)

Angel of Harlem would be easy... if I could bloody bar two strings!

You can do an good acoustic Numb easily.

Wake Up Dead Man is pretty easy too.

hello there!

I've only been learning for about a month, but i'll give you a couple of pointers, from my limited experience.

At first i wanted to learn all the technical stuff before i even attempted a song. I found that to be the wrong approach. If you have someone to help you along, it's easier and more fun to learn some songs as you're learning chords. It's more rewarding.

When i first played the beginning chords to sbs i got chills down my spine. Truly was thrilling. You should try that one.

I also learned One, and i got that one pretty quickly, you should try it too.

All i want is you is another good one, and right now i'm starting to work on Angel of Harlem.

Just don't get discouraged, if you're tired or fried don't push it. Oh and write your chords down for specific songs, as a reference.

Good luck, and have fun!:edge: :happy:

Last edited:
'I Will Follow' First song I played on guitar (I've taught myself everything) It's seriously one of the easiest of U2's Songs to learn if you're a first timer...

bono_man2002 said:

another question is it best to teach yourslef or get lessons?

i learned on my own a few years ago... it's much cheaper this way. i'll never regret it!

of course, i'm also terrible... so don't listen to me :D

I've been teaching myself over the past few years. Most U2 songs are easy to play; I also found that alot of Cranberries songs are also fairly easy. I like to play 'Animal Instinct' in particular. :)

The easiest U2 song for me, as a beggining guitarist, was "All I Want Is You"

D & A (open) All the way through...Verses & Hooks.

Re: All I want is you: Not forgetting the F#m in the "All the promises we made" section of the song of course...

Mick

wormwood said:
The easiest U2 song for me, as a beggining guitarist, was "All I Want Is You"

D & A (open) All the way through...Verses & Hooks.

Well, not exactly just D and A. Edge pulls off and plays an open B string for the 3rd and 5th A chord, and pulls off and plays an open E for the 3rd and 5th D chord (he plays around with it live but its good enough for now). Then when Bono sings "but all the promises," Edge plays an F#m chord.

this is what i'm getting...not exactly but simlar

c6_1.JPG

and i get an amp and everything in the one pack for $250
i gota wait till i start my new job before i buy any effects pedals or anything
the amp will only be small, but hey its better than nothing, i gota get good at guitar before i spend alot of money on it :)

i just got a guitar for christmas, and have been teaching myself(yes, for 5 whole days), so far i can play who's gonna ride your wild horses, streets, and some various beatles songs such as eleanor rigby. i was on the u2 guitar archive, but that version of desire looks kind of hard- partly because i don't know riffs yet. does anyone have a link for another site that has an easier version? thanks!

Yeah, so I got to this thread late, but personally, I find 11 O'clock Tick Tock really easy to play (apart from the final solo, I need to work on that a bit). An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart isn't exactly a challenge, either.

I now just need to learn to tune my guitar so that I can play it more regularly ... I'm fine playing it but I stink at tuning.

Back
Top Bottom