Easiest song to learn on guitar for beginner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's a basstab actually. The guitar part is only slightly different, has chords rather than notes.

Bad indeed is a nice song to learn. It was one of the first few I learned, really pretty song to play and easy to learn too!
oooo my bad:reject: I've been playing off that, so I can play the bass part of guitar lol, gosh no wonder I can't play right:lol:

p and h mean pick up and hammer on. Google the names, it's a quite basic technique. :)

The notes in parentheses () are harmonics.

For WOWY, playing it in G (G-D-Em-C) is probably easiest in terms of finger movement. If you play G as 320033, D as Dsus4(000233) and C as 032033, it's only a matter of moving the first two fingers and lifting up your ring and pinkie for the Em.

On an unrelated note, am I the only way who's disgusted by how many bands out there rip off the WOWY progression? See Linkin Park's Shadow Of The Day, The Calling's Wherever You Will Go etc...

On an unrelated note, am I the only way who's disgusted by how many bands out there rip off the WOWY progression? See Linkin Park's Shadow Of The Day, The Calling's Wherever You Will Go etc...

Well, it is a I-IV-V progression with the relative minor in a common rock key, but the beautiful thing is how U2 manage to pull off a very common progression and yet make it sound entirely original.

Well, it is a I-IV-V progression with the relative minor in a common rock key, but the beautiful thing is how U2 manage to pull off a very common progression and yet make it sound entirely original.

Oops, I was way too tired to be posting last night. It's actually a I-V-ii-IV progression, but still since you notice how other bands seem to be copying it, I still think it's pretty cool that U2 make it sound entirely original.

Im being looking for a Discotheque riff tab but the ones ive found dont seem right to me.

i.e

A--5b-------7-------5b-----------------5b----
E-----7-5-7---7-5-7----7-5-7-x-x-7-5-7-------

Dirty Day is prob the most easiest U2 song to play.

It's mostly just playing the low E string till the chorus. I don't remember off the top of my head what chords they were but it's pretty simple

When I get motivated again I'll try a couple of these WOWY sounds like something I could play

I've been thinking about getting a bass but Im not sure how to start like whats a good brand, the prices of amps etc, I kind of need something "cheap" just in case I dont like it ( which I doubt that will happen) and money tight right now. I've seen a few started kits out there but I'm not sure about them

Bass is always good. :D

If you want to try cheap, there's Ibanez, they have a couple of decent basses around. Fender has the cheaper Squier range, which I myself have. They're brilliant and don't do under for the expensive versions! :up: Even famous people use them, say Mike Dirnt from Green Day has a signature Squier bass, I think the emo kid... Pete Wentz? has one too...

For both the bass and amp I'd say they're a little more expensive than a guitar. If you're not sure you're gonna like it, Ibanez has starter kits with a small amp and bass.

Thanks GG I'll check that out I have to wait awhile though cause of money, an ex friend was gonna give me hers but she started tripping out for no reason that decided to not be my friend anymore.

My Dad was talking to one of his friends that works at this guitar shop in town he goes to and he said he would be happy to set me up with a cheap bass etc when Im ready I love fender but Ibanz is not bad at all

What model do you have? I am wanting to get an acoustic bass actually, but I don't know what to get. I'll have to save first too.

I was just looking at starting kits for me on electric basses, and I found some good prices on Epiphones and Fenders. I'm not sure if its buy to back a starter kit or just go into a shop and have them help you out and set it all up for you. My Dad plays guitar but knows nothing of basses and I don't want to get one and find out its like to big or something for me.

Do go to a shop and try them out before buying anything. That could be said about any intstrument!!
You must know for certain you like the feel of the bass, otherwise it's a waste of money. If it doesn't feel right, don't buy it. For me, I tried both the Jazz and the Precision, but the Jazz I didn't really like the pickups. I need a place to lean on for my thumb(well now I don't anymore, but I used to need that starting up) so the Precision was my choice. It has a nicer tone IMO aswell. :love:

Awesome Possum I'll probably do that. I was talking to my Dad about what would be better pick or no pick and he said depends on the song you're playing now an artiest I use to follow for a very long time who was the bass player for a band I liked said that having a pick is the greatest thing to have, you get more sounds that way than with your fingers

:crack: That was one long sentence! :lol:

Well your dad is right, pick or no pick depends on the song. Take Adam for example, listen to Streets and COBL, they are played with a pick(and plenty of others ofcourse). Now if you compare the picked playing to regular fingerwork, it sounds different. Try playing these songs by finger and compare the sound.(For Streets you can find a full tab on ultimate-guitar.com made by yours truly. :wink: )

Personally I don't like picking much, I feel it sounds a bit hollow. Fingerpicking is a so much fuller sound. Ofcourse, opinions on this differ widely. And sometimes the song is just too fast to play with your fingers, take Dragonforce for example. Those songs are pretty much impossible to play with your fingers unless you train them 24/7! (If you don't know what I'm talking about here, youtube Dragonforce - Through fire and flames, and ignore the many guitar hero clips!)

In Gods Country is easy - I play an acoustic version without all the effects...

Verse is Am & D
Corus is Em G D

Chords for the verse:
D-A-E-A-E

The little bit for "Red guitar on fire..." and "Fever when I'm beside her..." is a simple:
D-A

The whole song is pretty much D-A-E-A-E. Really simple

Three Chords and the Truth... Red Guitar, optional :)
This is the first song I learned. It's a great song to start off learning how to sing and play at the same time, too.

Back
Top Bottom