e-bow + U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marik

Refugee
i'm thinking of buying an e-bow.
i mostly like to play u2 songs.

SO,

what U2 songs actually use an e-bow or an e-bow-like sound?

i know the beginning of WOWY. anything else?

is it even worth getting then?

I dunno...an ebow runs about $100... and for one song that's probably a bit of a waste. Do you like REM at all? You could definitely get your moneys worth from an Ebow playing their stuff.

The Edge used E-bow mainly on The Unforgettable Fire album in the background to a number of songs on that album such as 4th of July but the most identifiable one is the The Unforgettable Fire itself. Will Sergeant has used an e-bow a lot as did Big Country and The Cocteau Twins - it is worth getting one to experiment yourself - use plenty of echo repeats and try with slide and wah-wah - it sounds great - I used one myself on an album in 1991 but dry with no delays or effects (apart from distortion) and it still sounded great - even though I say so myself!!!

discothequeLP said:
^ i thoguth he just used a slide with his right hand :eyebrow:

nah, eBow...but I'd be interested to know how to get the same kind of effect with a Slide!! :ohmy: I've tried but with no luck!

I think its also on some Radiohead songs like a National Anthem. Although I suspect they use a guitar with an ebow effect build in it, just like Edge nowadays uses on WOWY.

What U2 songs actually use an e-bow or an e-bow-like sound?

"The Unforgettable Fire" in Studio and live
"Night and Day" in Studio and Live
"WOWY" Live. Now it uses Fernades decades Elite Sustainer
" Unreleased instrumental of the UF sessions"

:wink:

Geordie Edge said:
The Edge used E-bow mainly on The Unforgettable Fire album in the background to a number of songs on that album such as 4th of July but the most identifiable one is the The Unforgettable Fire itself. Will Sergeant has used an e-bow a lot as did Big Country and The Cocteau Twins - it is worth getting one to experiment yourself - use plenty of echo repeats and try with slide and wah-wah - it sounds great - I used one myself on an album in 1991 but dry with no delays or effects (apart from distortion) and it still sounded great - even though I say so myself!!!

In the song "4th of july" he uses the e-bow??????? :ohmy:

In this song he uses : delay (a lot of), reverb and a slide :wink:

Last edited:
I thought Adam and Edge just swapped instruments around for a bit and mucked around while Eno recorded them without knowing...? :huh:

Back
Top Bottom