Dual Delay (ala Pride)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fly33

The Fly
Does Edge have two delays going for Pride? If you listen to the beginning of Pride on the Vertigo DVD (Chicago), it sounds like he has two. I also think I read somewhere that he does that. Does anyone know what the two times are and if they're run in stereo or parallel?

Also, any other songs you know of where he uses double delay?

Pride's main delay is set at around 420ms, the 2nd one which is much more subtle is at around 450 if I remember correctly.

I Still Haven't Found has dual delay, playing it at around 440ms just doesn't sound the same. 2nd, much shorter delay, below 330ms I think. But tune around and it'll just click in right. (Alot of sources write a short delay at around 110ms sometimes...but that just doesn't sound right to me?!)

Bad (Vertigo Tour), against many opinions, has/had a dual delay. 436ms and a much more subtle 2nd delay at 552ms. It just sounds richer, although the 2nd delay isn't as important in Bad as it is in ISHFWILF! Sounds just as good with one delay at 436ms.

Hi

Pride is as follows

INTRO SDD = 450MS
VEARSE TC = 420MS
SOLO = DUAL TC 437MS + FA-1 FOR FAT TONE.

ISHFWIALF

SDD 120MS TC 454 MS.

STREETS

SDD 120 TC 365 INTRO/OUTRO ONLY.

THE FLY

SDD 552 TC 423

WAH PARKED IN TREBLE POSITION AND FA-1 SET AT THE 11 O,CLOCK SETTINGS AND YOU MUST CONTROL THE OUTPUT LEVEL WITH THE TC2290 OR THIS FX CHAIN WILL BE VERY LOUD!!!!!

Try it out and see

Try them and see...

No 3 delays maybe 4 delays in streets.

intro/outro sdd120ms+365ms with 22 feedback
vearse tc 365ms 0 feedback = 1 repeat...
distorted chords 3rd vearse is i believe tc with 420ms and fa-1

delays are sdd into tc so i guess thats in sereies....Edge no longer has the line mixer patched in....

The Fa-1 is used a fair bit for distortions and alot of people tend to use the ts-9 instead but if you own an fa-1 you should be able to hear the difference straight away. Listen to The Fly intro or New Years Day riff and you can clearly hear the Fa-1. The trick to using the Fa-1 is to set the controls to 11o,clock and control the volume with the 2290 output stage otherwise the fa-1 is far to loud. People tend to turn the volume down then thus not achieving the right results....The Fa-1 should distort when played hard (NYD when the main riff comes in)but be subtle enough when you play soft or roll back the volume a bit(NYD harmonics)

Another interesting thing is that Edge has the volume down quite low on the DB-1 but when used in conjunction with the ts-9 it comes into its own. Listen to the big outro of until end of the world....

I think that some people maybe having trouble in getting the Boots sound right too.

Here are my thoughts...

Guitar signal is split for this sound and here is why i think this.....
There is a dm4 atop his rack and we think why is this when he has 2 dm4 pros in his rig....
Well the dm4 pedal on top is clearly labelled HARVARD (for those that don,t know the harvard is a very rare little combo which edge has tucked away around the back of his amp rig)so this dm4 must be just for this amp and there is a preset for boots on it.

I believe the settings can be taken from a photo that is shown elsewhere in this forum.Copy the settings and you should get boots intro sound just add a parked wah like the Fly.

The synth wah is then braught into the riff in parallell through a seperate amp....

Those who have in ear mix recordings of Boots should be able to hear that the sounds are clearly seperated.

The Boss Noise Suppressor is part of the sound. Both that and the DM4 go to the Harvard.

I don't know if one can take the settings from the pic of the DM4 as THE settings for "...Boots". Why?

DM4 has four switches that you can program. In the photos - screen caps I've seen the Barcelona rehearsal - the switch that is turned on, is the 3rd switch from the left.

u2001-1.jpg

That said, there are labels for all four switches. If the 4th switch is the last swith programmed... those dial settings could be for that 4th switch.

They could also be any of the switches being re-programmed.

I think that some people maybe having trouble in getting the Boots sound right too.

Here are my thoughts...

Guitar signal is split for this sound and here is why i think this.....
There is a dm4 atop his rack and we think why is this when he has 2 dm4 pros in his rig....
Well the dm4 pedal on top is clearly labelled HARVARD (for those that don,t know the harvard is a very rare little combo which edge has tucked away around the back of his amp rig)so this dm4 must be just for this amp and there is a preset for boots on it.

I believe the settings can be taken from a photo that is shown elsewhere in this forum.Copy the settings and you should get boots intro sound just add a parked wah like the Fly.

The synth wah is then braught into the riff in parallell through a seperate amp....

Those who have in ear mix recordings of Boots should be able to hear that the sounds are clearly seperated.

I agree with what you say about the switches and presets but its about experimenting with the info thats presented to us.
I have matched the settings in the photo and tried them with a wah in the parked position .I used a tele into a blues junior and its pretty close to be fair....

The noise suppressor makes sense as the dm4 can be a noisy devil when used in extreme settings....

Try it out and see what you think!!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom