Does anyone have a guitar tab from when U2 covered won't get fooled again? - Page 32 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Even Better Than The Real Thing ??
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 08:51 PM   #621
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 10:37 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Alisaura
I got what you said (although I learned it as "Sprechen Sie doch langsam, bitte")... I was trying to apologise for speaking too quickly.
oh, lol no you were fine, i was just saying one of the other sentences i could think of off the top of my head.

Old 02-23-2008, 08:52 PM   #622
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:37 PM
Quote:

My favourite German-fuckup anecdote:

Start of second year, the teacher asks us to say in German what we did on the holidays... I'd been to a dinosaur dig, so I tried to say something like "I was digging up bones" ... the word for "bone" is "Knocken"... I got confused and said "Knaben", which I believe is "small boy".

The look on the teacher's face was priceless.

That's one hell of a holiday

Old 02-23-2008, 08:52 PM   #623
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:37 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver
Ali probably knows what I'm talking about. There's some brand of chocolate or something advertised on TV here called Weiss. They call it "weese". I shit you not. I cringe every time.
Weiss bars... they're like ice cream or something.

Delicious, but mispronounced.

Mind you, I got told that we're all pronouncing "Subaru" wrong... apparently the emphasis should be on the middle syllable... suBAru.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:52 PM   #624
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 02:37 PM
Quote:

Ye gods, are you serious!?! Jimmy Barnes is in the curriculum???! *speechless*

Oh, hi Screwtape I keep meaning to read that book...
Remember, I went to high school in Queensland. Barnsey's probably the height of intellectual knowledge there. I think Copernicus and Galileo's discoveries haven't yet filtered through to the Gold Coast ...

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 02-23-2008, 08:54 PM   #625
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 10:37 PM
k i'm off. be back soon peeps
Old 02-23-2008, 08:55 PM   #626
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by coolian2
That just reminded me of another story.

I took Japanese in my first year at high school. I no fucked idea what was going on, neither did my mate. I got about 5/100 in the final test and he got 3/100.

The teacher wanted us to treat the classroom as thought it were a plane and keep our bags out of the aisles.
You got owned.

I wasn't too bad at Japanese, but I frankly found it boring and was very happy to switch to German.

Quote:
That same friend of mine copied me in a social studies test and got a higher mark when i went back and changed an answer that i'd originally got right - that started my policy of NEVER changing answers in tests or exams
Ouch. Yeah, I never checked my answers. I figured they weren't going to change anyway. And hey, I topped four subjects. So there must be something in my method!

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 02-23-2008, 08:55 PM   #627
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Local Time: 11:37 PM
Quote:

We called all of our teachers by their nicknames to their face, but they were fairly stock-standard Aussie nicknames: Johnno, Robbo, Thommo, Queenie ...
Those are the worst nicknames I have ever heard. Who in their right mind calls their teacher Queenie?
Old 02-23-2008, 08:55 PM   #628
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by liamcool
Shrubberies? WHERE?!
Ni! Ni!
Old 02-23-2008, 08:56 PM   #629
Vocal parasite

Quote:

Schriben? Or is it schreiben....

My German dictionary is at work. Long story..
Schreiben looks right.

My German dictionary is somewhere on one of my three bookshelves. Soon I'll be starting a library.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 02-23-2008, 08:57 PM   #630
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes
oh, lol no you were fine, i was just saying one of the other sentences i could think of off the top of my head.
Yeah, same

We learned to sing that "Ich bin Auslander" song to the tune of.... I think it was "she'll be coming round the mountain"....
Old 02-23-2008, 08:57 PM   #631
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

You got owned.

I wasn't too bad at Japanese, but I frankly found it boring and was very happy to switch to German.
We just never took the teacher seriously and the subject in general.

French i was pretty good at, and the teachers hated me for it, i'm sure. They kept giving me shit about how if i don't work harder i won't pass, and what did i do?

Oh, i believe i passed. Rather comfortably too.

What a shame i can't remember much of it now.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:57 PM   #632
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by Screwtape2

Those are the worst nicknames I have ever heard. Who in their right mind calls their teacher Queenie?
Oh, they're logical, actually. Based on their last names:

Johnson = Johnno
Robertson = Robbo
Thomson = Thommo
McQueen = Queenie

Queenie was a great sport. By the end of grade 12, nobody called him Mr McQueen.

We also had a Gibson = Gibbo, but I don't remember using that to her face much. We always called her Gibbo amongst ourselves though.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 02-23-2008, 08:59 PM   #633
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Local Time: 11:37 PM
The thing I took away German was that we needed more recent textbooks. Never should a child read about Nena and Falco.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:59 PM   #634
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:37 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes
everyone in this thread needs to lose their virginity. right now.

and if you already have lost it, then you need to lose it again, for old times' sake.
So, you coming over or what?
Old 02-23-2008, 08:59 PM   #635
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by liamcool
Shrubberies? WHERE?!
Near your potatoes.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 02-23-2008, 09:00 PM   #636
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Ouch. Yeah, I never checked my answers. I figured they weren't going to change anyway. And hey, I topped four subjects. So there must be something in my method!
We all just laughed at it. It wasn't a serious test.

I've now decided with exams that if my first instinct isn't right then i probably don't deserve to pass.

I've passed almost every exam since i adopted that theory too, except for maths.

I almost passed Economics despite picking it up in the last year of high school and being lost all year, but i nearly rescued it in the exam. Not to worry, i didn't expect to pass. I'm sure the teacher got a thrill seeing my marks too.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:00 PM   #637
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:37 PM
What've I missed? I can't be bothered to go back and read all of that. I'm not the "getting caught" up type.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:00 PM   #638
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by coolian2

Haha, the only one we ever got away with calling to his face was the same cool teacher who i'm meaning to catch up with....Mr G, usually said with a thick Pacific Island/NZ hip hop accent.

Others like Fothers, Walrus, The Chicken we weren't going to get away with.

Mr G ... shit, that just made me think of Summer Heights High. Did you get that TV show in New Zealand? Most people here thought it was hilarious. I thought it was shithouse and tried too hard. Liam's probably going to call me a moron now.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 02-23-2008, 09:03 PM   #639
Vocal parasite

Quote:

Weiss bars... they're like ice cream or something.

Delicious, but mispronounced.

Mind you, I got told that we're all pronouncing "Subaru" wrong... apparently the emphasis should be on the middle syllable... suBAru.
I haven't tried them. A few years ago, we had two budgies who I named Weiss and Grun (with umlauts, of course). I'm glad that when people visited, we didn't have to write the name! I hate to think of poor Weiss being called "weese".

Kate keeps making fun of how we pronounce 'fillet'. Damnit, that word has long since been Anglicised and is pronounced fil-it. This pretentious US bullshit about fil-ay is just them trying to look like they know something about a language they have otherwise brutally raped and destroyed.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 02-23-2008, 09:03 PM   #640
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Mr G ... shit, that just made me think of Summer Heights High. Did you get that TV show in New Zealand? Most people here thought it was hilarious. I thought it was shithouse and tried too hard. Liam's probably going to call me a moron now.
I'm afraid i can't remember it. How long ago was it?

Closed Thread