does anybody own Bonos green Gretsch?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

europop2005

Refugee
Does anybody have Bono's guitar? how does it play? I heard its really heavy...post pics if possible

a pic i found on ebay:

bd_10.JPG

I WANT! I WANT! :drool: :drool: :drool:

I believe there were only 9 or so made. If you get one...it will be extremely expensive.

I wish someone would make a "Goal is Soul" pickguard that you could buy separately (for a Fender, though)! I'd definitely pay $20 for something like that.

I have one - it is a signature copy, although if only 2 originals were made as Chas suggests, then Bono must have copies as I am pretty certain he travels with more than one of those on tour. It's a beautiful guitar, although I think my input jack is flaking out which is ridiculous considering I have only used it 5 times and it is a very expensive guitar - they'll repair it for free, but still...

It comes with a certificate of authenticity and a portion of the proceeds goto the One campaign I believe...

It's all rather funny he has a signature copy, considering Bono plays it for 2 songs on the Vertigo tour, but it's a nice piece of gear to own.

*edited to say that it is easy to play, but of course that depends how you want it set up AND it is a hollow body so it is actually very light*

Cheers,
Brady

bradyvox said:
I have one - it is a signature copy, although if only 2 originals were made as Chas suggests, then Bono must have copies as I am pretty certain he travels with more than one of those on tour.

If you recall on the Slane Castle DVD he has issues with it during Walk On. If he had a back up, it would have been brought right out with his tech when he came out to take his.

agreed, maybe on that tour but on Vertigo he has a few...

From u2.com's interview with Bono's guitar tech Phil Docherty:

"His main ones are Gretch Falcons which Gretch are making specially for him. They have been sprayed a special shade of green and are known as The Irish Falcon. They have vintage pick-ups and accessories and need a lot of tender loving care but used in conjunction with a Vox AC 30 (also vintage stock) they have a really classic sound. "

There is also a pic of Phil with Bono's guitar and in the background you see at least one other Irish falcon...

I guess he learned the lesson after Walk On at Slane!!

I have a signature model too, its the same exact one he uses except for the signature on the 12th fret. This is the second generation Irish Falcon as the one he used on the Elevation tour is slightly different with regard to the switches, knobs, and tuning keys. I have the older model Falcon too in white. His Irish Falcon now more closely matches the newer model White Falcon as his has the bird wings etched into the mother of pearl on the frets, our signature model doens't have that...

Anyway, I think it sounds amazing. I love playing it, even unplugged without an amp it sounds great. I use it at bigger shows where we play on a larger stage, but I do leave it home most of the time and just use the what I call "The White Trash Falcon"! LOL! It has a custom The Goal is Soul pickguard too that I had made for it...

It might be one of the most beautiful guitars you can own...and it is expensive, yes.

ToNo

DanZigs said:
I wish someone would make a "Goal is Soul" pickguard that you could buy separately (for a Fender, though)! I'd definitely pay $20 for something like that.

great idea :hyper:

bradyvox said:
agreed, maybe on that tour but on Vertigo he has a few...

I personally saw, from either front row or darn close to it, Bono have problems with one of them on two separate occasions, motion to Phil to bring out another, and for a brief moment the stage was inhabited by not one but 2 Gretsch Irish Falcons.

We played a Gretsch Irish Falcon at the NAMM show in Anaheim this year. The action was terrible (possibly needing a proper set-up). And the gold paint was a bit garrish for my taste. Anyway, we decided to save $1500 and bought a very similar model (Gretsch Country Club Model in Cadillac Green). That fills the bill nicely when used for only 3-4 songs per night.

bradyvox said:
I have one - it is a signature copy, although if only 2 originals were made as Chas suggests,

That is inaccurate. I personally saw 2 Green Falcons on stage at the same time during the Vertigo Tour, and on more than one occasion.

Bono was holding one, his tech walked out with a replacement and they exchanged them. Similar to the mic stand.

So there are definitely more than 2 of them around, if someone else has an original and Bono has 2 (or more? who's really to know?)

gabrielvox said:

That is inaccurate. I personally saw 2 Green Falcons on stage at the same time during the Vertigo Tour, and on more than one occasion.

I love resurrected threads as much as the next guy but I'm not really sure what you are getting at. You quote me as inaccurate but if you read my posts, you'll see that I agree that he has more than one (whether they are originals or copies I don't know - all I know is he has more than one...). Also, this response is almost identical to your orginal post... :confused:

Gabe:

What I said was that there were ORIGINALLY only two made and a friend of mine who was an engineer for Fender has one of them. The information came from the people within Fender that were involved with the guitar. Somewhere I have a picture of me sitting in the Fender offices in Scottsdale playing that guitar. It is not a copy signature model that they have since produced.

I don't doubt that he had a back-up on this tour, however, that fact is that there were only two originally made.

Why we are on that....IF there were more then one taken on tour back when it was originally made....then why on the Elevation tour DVD where Bono has issues with the guitar on Walk On, did his tech not just bring out this 2nd guitar. Instead he takes the guitar, disappears for almost the entire song then brings it back for the outro. Could it be that it is because he did not have a backup? Maybe that is why there was two on the Vertigo tour.

Chas is exactly right on all counts here. I know this person as well and Ive seen the pic :)

M

bradyvox said:

I love resurrected threads as much as the next guy but I'm not really sure what you are getting at. You quote me as inaccurate but if you read my posts, you'll see that I agree that he has more than one (whether they are originals or copies I don't know - all I know is he has more than one...). Also, this response is almost identical to your orginal post... :confused:

I must apologize here Brady, I actually am fully agreeing with you, when I said 'that is inaccurate', I meant that about what I *thought was someone else's assertion that Bono only had 2, and if one was no longer in his possession, he now only has one.

Seems since it's been clarified that Bono must have some sort of combination of one original issue and one or more 2nd generation models. Of course, standing in the ellipse I'm not sure if anyone could tell the difference if they saw Phil walk up with one at the same time Bono was holding one, so I just thought they were the same, that's all.

Talk about lost in Translation! :) I totally wasn't taking a stab at you....and resurrected posts, jesus I didn't even see/remember my own earlier response! Duh me, that would explain that they're identical! :huh: :lol:

Its probably true that only 2 originals were made at first (and I know one is owned by Chas' friend as I've seen the pic too) but I have a pic of him playing an older type "original model" Irish Falcon (with the 3 pup knobs and one switch up top) on the last tour. In addition, I saw another "original model" type up for auction back in 2003 at the MusicCares event in New York City. Not sure what it fetched. But as for knowing how to tell the difference, the newer ones he plays now have the wings etched into the pearl inlays just like a regular new White Falcons do, and of course, have no signature. The signature model Irish Falcon's don't have the wings etched in the inlays and also have the new configuration of pup knobs (only 2 and with 2 swithces), as well as different tuning keys. I have an older White Falcon (1999) that more closely resembles the "original" Irish Falcon he first had made and used on the Elevation tour (Well, used to have until Mick stole it.... ;)

I almost bought that Country Club in Cadillac Green before the Signature Irish Falcons came out. B played that as well, and I would think that guitar might have inspired the Irish Falcon. Why he swithced to a Falcon, who knows!? He never played a Falcon before as far as I know. What's funny is that I have a pic of him with the Country Club where he had hand written "The Goal is Soul" on the pickguard...maybe that was the precurser guitar?

Keep rockin' boys,
T

I'm sure he might use (RED) guitar more just like Edge is using Music Rising LP after he made that charity around 2005-ish. Im sure Bono still can use Irish Falcon.

Back
Top Bottom