Do U2 allow Larry to express himself?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roon og

Babyface
I wanna know if people feel that U2 dont allow Larry Mullen to express himself to the best of his abilities. I feel his best work has been without the rest of the band , like on OLE OLE, the Ireland soccer teams theme song for the 1990 world cup. That is where you can hear him at his brilliant best.
I say set Larry free, after all he did found the band.

I would first of all say that the Edge has also been "slowed down" by being in U2; he probably sacrificed some excellent solos and demonstrations of his virtuosity.

Also, Larry contributes as a musician, too, as a creative force behind the band and not just as "the drummer".

But beyond that, I think Larry's best work -- and proof that being in U2 can still challenge him -- is found in U2's music, most specifically "MOFO". Nope, those aren't drum machines.
smile.gif

------------------
- Achtung Bubba

[This message has been edited by Achtung Bubba (edited 08-15-2000).]

Yes Roon Og there is no doubt that Larry Mullen Jr. excels on Ole Ole the Irish world cup song. That I would say was his finest hour.

------------------
I will be with you again...

Hey roon og guess what I totally agree with you
smile.gif
Larry's potential is not fully bloomed with U2, too an extent The Edge's too, but that has changed a bit in recent past,eg.Mofo,Wake Up Dead Man, too an extent Miami and The Ground Beneath Her Feet.
But make no mistake he's the essential ingredient of U2 and hopefully this will change on the new one.

Does anyone know where I can find "Ole Ole" to listen to? I have never heard of this before and would love to hear what you praise as his best drumming. If it is on the net, does anyone know where?

I think the proper name of the song might be 'Put 'em under pressure'. It was released in 1990 as a single for the Irish world cup squad. It was produced by Larry who plays drums on it and was the biggest selling single that year (I think). Good luck in finding it!

------------------
I will be with you again...

This is what Bill Flanagan said about U2's process of making their songs, i think you'll find it pretty interesting regarding this topic, and i think it will answer any question about Larry's abilities and his contributions, as well as the other members' role:

-----------------------------
"It is fair to say that Bono writes most of U2's lyrics, but he does not write them all. Edge has come up with more of U2's signature riffs than any of the other three, but the other three have all written plenty. I've watched U2 compose and record. What surprised me was how they switched roles depending on who was feeling inspired. Listening to a playback, Larry came up with an idea for a new melody and sang it to Bono, who tried it on the track. When Bono left for the night, Edge took over writing lyrics. When Larry left the room, Edge sat down behind the drums and put down a beat for a demo. Adam picked up Edge's guitar and suggested some chords. The four members of U2 have been a band since they were schoolboys; they taught each other to write and play. It is almost impossible for an outsider to tell where one leaves off and the next begins. The songs truly come from all four of them.

What impressed me in watching how U2 write was their willingness to change direction in a moment and follow the music wherever it led them. They could be working on a song for days and have it just about done, when suddenly Adam would try a different bass lick, Larry would switch his drum beat around to go with it, Bono would get an idea for a new lyric and - fast as that - they were gone, the almost finished song abandoned while U2 chased down a new one. I have never seen songwriters less worried about nailing a song down and being done with it. They seemed to delight in the creation itself, and not worry much about running out of ideas. "
------------------------------------

Jonny Swallow, it will be very difficult for you to find the song, and it almost certainly wont be on the internet, but if your in Ireland, your best bet is some second hand record shops, it is also played every night in U2's club The Kitchen.
Best of luck.

Thanks for the info everyone! It will probably be impossable for me to find it here in Arkansas, but it will give me a good excuse to go to Dublin.

Thanks for the info poncho_m!

Bill Flanagan's description of the songwriting process sounds pretty interesting. It's great how each member of the band isn't limited only to the playing of his own instrument.

Larry is not only in the band because he is a great drummer, but also contributes other ideas also. I don't think he has been "limited" musically by being in U2. I'm sure if he thought that he would no longer wish to be in the band.

------------------
"Baby a dangerous idea, that almost makes sense..."

You know how at alot of gigs, the band just lets the drummer go and have a good ole bash, his own little solo?

Ive always wondered why Larry doesnt do that.

Lets get a 'Let Larry have a solo!!' chant going on the next tour, okay?

Poor bugger...

I'm with you zooropamonda, I'll get that "Set Larry free" chant going in Dublin anyway. Maybe he should even play the Ole Ole soccer song that I talked about earlier.

Back
Top Bottom