Dirty Day (Full Band Cover)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks! For the bass I actually have no bass amp and so instead of running direct to the mixer (like I always do) I plugged my Vox AC30 amPlug into the bass and had a cable taking that through my dad's stereo speakers. I mic'd the speakers with a condenser mic, the same one that mic'd my vocals. I think the amPlug gives it a slightly fatter sound and makes it feel like it's truly mic'd. I feel like the bass is just a tad low in the overall mix but as long as it is present then I'm good. I also added huge sounding reverb after recording to the instruments to give it a feel like it's in a stadium/arena.

On the guitar, if I remember correctly (I'm not at home right now and don't have my effects with me), I believe I used a TS9 Screamer from my Line 6 M13 for the Intro and the Verses and for the Chorus I used a Tube Drive with the output a little higher than the TS9. I felt like the Tube Drive gives it a lot more "kick".:D But no Fuzz at all, although that intro does sound a little Fuzzy haha. Oh and for the guitar solo I think I used the Tube Drive with a Blue Comp with Treble, which I think is based on a Boss CS-3 Compressor, to boost the solo a bit. I had the Blue Comp and a Boost Comp right above each other so it's hard to remember without my M13.

I had my effects chain set up like this with all effects coming from the M13:

Digitech WH4 Whammy (not used for this song but in the chain) > [Line 6 M13] 63 Spring Reverb > TS9 Screamer / Tube Drive > Boost Comp / Blue Comp > Vox AC30 C2 Amp

Well at least you can play the other parts! :lol: I wish i could play the drums.

I can barely play drums though compared to a lot of drummer. I'm pretty much completely self taught, I imagine I could do fairly well if I took lessons but I just don't see much interest in drum lessons. I can keep a simple 4/4 beat. If you tell me to play anything in a strange time signature then I can't do it. I can keep 3/4 also.

I can barely play drums though compared to a lot of drummer. I'm pretty much completely self taught, I imagine I could do fairly well if I took lessons but I just don't see much interest in drum lessons. I can keep a simple 4/4 beat. If you tell me to play anything in a strange time signature then I can't do it. I can keep 3/4 also.

Thats cool man! I cant play shit :lol: I LOVE your little area you got going on! with the drums the amp.....That nice big room,Wish i had somethin like that :D:D

Oh yeah that room is completely cool. I'm glad my parents turned it into a music room. It was really their idea, before that I just played in my small bedroom, and that big room was just a dining area we used on Christmas day. My dad is a drummer so he needed space for his drums. It's a really live and ambient room and I do a ton of recording in there, much of my new album is being done in that room. It gives the drums this big expansive sound, sort of like with Led Zeppelin and Where the Levee Breaks and Bonham's drums on that song.:D But yeah I really love that room. It gives the instruments a lot of character.

I feel too lucky. When my friend came over to record drum tracks for me he said "Wow this is a BIG room!:ohmy: I'm kinda jealous!". In a way it kind of makes me feel bad. I still do have my Vox AC4 in my room and occasionally go there with my Telecaster and play there. My room is incredibly small. My mom was mentioning me bringing my AC30 into my room and I was like "No way! Number 1: I won't have much room for much other stuff and number 2: I'm not hauling it up and down the flight of stairs.". There's a long staircase outside my room that I'd have to bring it up to get it to my room. And my room really is pretty small and the way it's arranged you'd never get the Vox in there.:lol:

I feel too lucky. When my friend came over to record drum tracks for me he said "Wow this is a BIG room!:ohmy: I'm kinda jealous!". In a way it kind of makes me feel bad. I still do have my Vox AC4 in my room and occasionally go there with my Telecaster and play there. My room is incredibly small. My mom was mentioning me bringing my AC30 into my room and I was like "No way! Number 1: I won't have much room for much other stuff and number 2: I'm not hauling it up and down the flight of stairs.". There's a long staircase outside my room that I'd have to bring it up to get it to my room. And my room really is pretty small and the way it's arranged you'd never get the Vox in there.:lol:

Ya man that vox is HUGE :lol:

I always am open to constructive criticism

I'm gonna go with that! :)

First, hats off to anyone who does a full cover him/herself, because you need equipment and more importantly talent for that. So kudos...

My input:

1. The bass line is a bit niftier, either live or album, I can't remember, there's this nice fill Adam adds in between which is great!
2. Guitar: The chorus is a bit too loud and distorted for my taste. It is very tempting to rock out that part but it should sound clean/crunchy!
3. Vocals: Imitating Bono is not gonna be easy for anyone, so there's no way to nail it anyway. The falsetto part that you mentioned yourself though: I think you're better than you think you are, although hitting the tones at the right time needs work. The only thing I'd say needs definite work is the switch from falsetto back to your comfort zone, because you're completely off key during that switch at 1:08. Last but not least, your vocal range during the chorus doesn't change much, which makes it awkward at points because Bono sings that "Those" low and then belts out the rest much higher until "daaaays".

Hope this helps and congrats on the effort. And I'd love to have that room for practice, I hate playing low volumes in my apartment. :down:

I'm gonna go with that! :)

First, hats off to anyone who does a full cover him/herself, because you need equipment and more importantly talent for that. So kudos...

My input:

1. The bass line is a bit niftier, either live or album, I can't remember, there's this nice fill Adam adds in between which is great!
2. Guitar: The chorus is a bit too loud and distorted for my taste. It is very tempting to rock out that part but it should sound clean/crunchy!
3. Vocals: Imitating Bono is not gonna be easy for anyone, so there's no way to nail it anyway. The falsetto part that you mentioned yourself though: I think you're better than you think you are, although hitting the tones at the right time needs work. The only thing I'd say needs definite work is the switch from falsetto back to your comfort zone, because you're completely off key during that switch at 1:08. Last but not least, your vocal range during the chorus doesn't change much, which makes it awkward at points because Bono sings that "Those" low and then belts out the rest much higher until "daaaays".

Hope this helps and congrats on the effort. And I'd love to have that room for practice, I hate playing low volumes in my apartment. :down:

Thank you for the pointers! Someone told me I was brave for doing it. I went through a couple moments where I never would've put it up. And for whatever reason it always helps when people point out things to me that need improvement upon.

Adam's bass line: I think that was the album version as I was just listening to Dirty Day yesterday and I noticed that fill, which would be way better than just straight up D-A-C-G. I'd like to figure it out.

The toughest bits were the vocals. And I've been working with my vocal teacher for a good while on my falsetto and on going from my falsetto back to my midrange/lower range voice. That's where a lot of the challenge comes in. She thought I sounded pretty good with the verse parts and that's where I felt really comfortable. I've been wondering if when my voice matures if it'll be easier to sing some of these parts. Most likely I'm guessing. I'm thinking of doing a few full band covers of songs from the 90s seeing as I'm comfortable with Bono's deeper singing style. Although I won't always be able to nail a vocal completely.

Back
Top Bottom