Did edge really play the Music Rising Epiphone Les Paul at the Cannes gig?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The_Pac_Mule said:
I already said that theres another person playing his explorer, but no one seemed to notice ;) I dont think he would have faked it, because I know it is possible to get a strat tone out of a LP. As for Vertigo, for all we know, he could have recorded the song with a LP. ;) Beautiful Day was recorded with an LP, yet he uses an Explorer for it live ;)

I would love to hear a strat tone from a LP. Please post a clip.

Mick

Galeongirl said:
Vertigo was recorded with the green/blue strat.. the one he plays in the studio video on the bonus disc aswell

Ummm...I think that's a Tele, no? Mick? Pretty sure Vertigo is a Tele...of course, it can be played on a Strat, lots of guys do it, but originally it was a Tele..

Not sure to be honest... I know Edge uses a Tele for Vertigo live so I would suspect that he recorded it with the Tele too but I don't know that for sure.

gabrielvox said:

Ummm...I think that's a Tele, no? Mick? Pretty sure Vertigo is a Tele...of course, it can be played on a Strat, lots of guys do it, but originally it was a Tele..

:reject: you're right! I typed the wrong thing!

Well I assume its a tele as he is one to keep what he does in the studio true live thus the 45 guitars. But exactly what is used in the studio for certain songs will be a mystery...not all. Take Pride. Some say Gretsch,some say LPC, I have my own opinion but its hard to 100% sure. ya cant go by the videos :)

My whole interest in this thread was about the quack tone on Streets at Cannes. My opinion is he or anyone else cant get a quacktone like that from a 2 pup humbucker guitar ..an Epi at that. (I have this guitar) without some serious gear or some type of modeling. It has nothing to do with Edge but with the mechanics of the guitar and where the pups are to get a certain sig sound.Logic tells me if he was going to try and get this sound with a quick setup gig like this one,using a condensed rack and a handful of pedals,seems to me its alot easier to grab a strat for this song rather than try to emulate the strat with a Music rising epi. Again I may be wrong but we already know that 75% of Vertigo is backing at this show. seems like to me Streets intro and some chords are backing with Edge playing over them on the Epi. I respect all opinions on the topic. I just have my own

Mick

both of the songs edge just played
along to backing tracks, there not
100% live by Edge! trying jamming
to a U2 backing track with xtra guitar
its the same idea without drums+bass

i have the cannes video from france 4
and another shot from private video
and ive studied it several times
all edge is doing is playing over
a recording

no way is streets sounding like that on
a Epi les paul also vertigo is a telecaster
song try using a Strat or les paul it just
dont sound the same the tele is the main
part of the sound..

plus one vox amp 2 line6 modellers
DL4 delay and DM4 Distortion modeller
and one les paul theres no way he
could create the same live sounds
as he did on live8 or german tv he would
need the right guitars a strat and telecaster
and a minirack with switching system
i read the were running late from dublin
via plane so maybe thats why edge went
jam along to U2. they did the same sort
of thing at the bbc carpark back in 2000?
were they played over backing tracks
though 2 songs were live! desire and
shes a mystery to me

BB

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom