Did edge really play the Music Rising Epiphone Les Paul at the Cannes gig????? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Even Better Than The Real Thing ??
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2007, 09:14 PM   #21
Ghost of Love

Local Time: 02:14 PM
It's not strange per se, just incredibly unlikely to a negative power of a million lol

Considering that "live" Cannes Vertigo sounds nothing like any of the 60-80 Vertigo bootlegs I have and not even like the official Chicago DVD, I'm with Mick here....plus I think he just *might know what he's talkin bout

gvox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 07:44 AM   #22
Acrobat

Local Time: 07:14 PM
True, maybe I jumped to a conclusion too fast. I think a conclusion shouldn't be made at all.

Barkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 08:11 AM   #23
Acrobat

I agree. Its one of those internet questions that really cant be answered, These kind of questions should be left alone.

Mick
mick3b1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 12:01 PM   #24
The Fly

Local Time: 03:14 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by mick3b1g
I agree. Its one of those internet questions that really cant be answered, These kind of questions should be left alone.

Mick
well put.
dmaleads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 04:55 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by gabrielvox

Considering that "live" Cannes Vertigo sounds nothing like any of the 60-80 Vertigo bootlegs I have and not even like the official Chicago DVD
"Elevation" also changed drastically to be more studio-like on the Vertigo tour compared to the Elevation tour - no 90 second intro. We'll have to see how it's performed on the next tour. For other songs, Edge has changed guitars. NYD comes to mind as one - see the Red Rocks NYD with the Strat, which sounds very close to later NYDs with the Les Paul.
ntalwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 09:08 PM   #26
Acrobat

Not to beat a dead horse but some things to really notice here are Edge used the music rising LP for both Vertigo and Streets. He kept that guitar on the neck pup throughout the 2 songs. We know Vertigo has at least 4 preset changes throughout and Streets at least 2. He not once hit any pedal in Vertigo during any of the preset changes but there was a change done for him during the Citys a Flood part in Streets. Also to my ears it sounds a bit dirty when the band kicks in during Streets which leads me to beleive both songs are pretty much backing with a faint live Edge playing in the background. Again I may be wrong but thought Id point out this stuff as its interesting. Check out some of the pics floating around. Last response from me on the subject...promise

Mick
Old 05-28-2007, 11:08 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Edge switched the pickup to the bridge position for Streets, and Dallas bent down and pressed a pedal effect with his hand (visible in the other video) before Streets and during the tremolo part (behind the amp). He also made an amp EQ adjustment before Streets, and at the end of Streets the first thing Dallas did after getting the guitar was to turn the amp volume down.
ntalwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 07:28 AM   #28
Ghost of Love

Quote:
Originally posted by ntalwar

"Elevation" also changed drastically to be more studio-like on the Vertigo tour compared to the Elevation tour - no 90 second intro. We'll have to see how it's performed on the next tour. For other songs, Edge has changed guitars. NYD comes to mind as one - see the Red Rocks NYD with the Strat, which sounds very close to later NYDs with the Les Paul.
I don't know how you could conceivably think that Vertigo "Elevation" is remotely closer to to the studio version than Elevation "Elevation". The arrangement is further away from it, drastically yes, but in the other direction!

As for NYD, I can hear a distinct difference between Strat vs LP NYD!!
Old 06-06-2007, 04:42 PM   #29
Refugee

I already said that theres another person playing his explorer, but no one seemed to notice I dont think he would have faked it, because I know it is possible to get a strat tone out of a LP. As for Vertigo, for all we know, he could have recorded the song with a LP. Beautiful Day was recorded with an LP, yet he uses an Explorer for it live
The_Pac_Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 04:58 PM   #30
Galeonbroad

Local Time: 09:14 PM
Vertigo was recorded with the green/blue strat.. the one he plays in the studio video on the bonus disc aswell
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 06:58 AM   #31
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by The_Pac_Mule
I already said that theres another person playing his explorer, but no one seemed to notice I dont think he would have faked it, because I know it is possible to get a strat tone out of a LP. As for Vertigo, for all we know, he could have recorded the song with a LP. Beautiful Day was recorded with an LP, yet he uses an Explorer for it live
I would love to hear a strat tone from a LP. Please post a clip.

Mick
Old 06-07-2007, 09:12 AM   #32
Ghost of Love

Quote:
Originally posted by Galeongirl
Vertigo was recorded with the green/blue strat.. the one he plays in the studio video on the bonus disc aswell
Ummm...I think that's a Tele, no? Mick? Pretty sure Vertigo is a Tele...of course, it can be played on a Strat, lots of guys do it, but originally it was a Tele..
Old 06-07-2007, 09:38 AM   #33
The Fly

Not sure to be honest... I know Edge uses a Tele for Vertigo live so I would suspect that he recorded it with the Tele too but I don't know that for sure.
gragravar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 11:09 AM   #34
Galeonbroad

Local Time: 09:14 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by gabrielvox

Ummm...I think that's a Tele, no? Mick? Pretty sure Vertigo is a Tele...of course, it can be played on a Strat, lots of guys do it, but originally it was a Tele..
you're right! I typed the wrong thing!
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 12:10 PM   #35
Acrobat

Well I assume its a tele as he is one to keep what he does in the studio true live thus the 45 guitars. But exactly what is used in the studio for certain songs will be a mystery...not all. Take Pride. Some say Gretsch,some say LPC, I have my own opinion but its hard to 100% sure. ya cant go by the videos

My whole interest in this thread was about the quack tone on Streets at Cannes. My opinion is he or anyone else cant get a quacktone like that from a 2 pup humbucker guitar ..an Epi at that. (I have this guitar) without some serious gear or some type of modeling. It has nothing to do with Edge but with the mechanics of the guitar and where the pups are to get a certain sig sound.Logic tells me if he was going to try and get this sound with a quick setup gig like this one,using a condensed rack and a handful of pedals,seems to me its alot easier to grab a strat for this song rather than try to emulate the strat with a Music rising epi. Again I may be wrong but we already know that 75% of Vertigo is backing at this show. seems like to me Streets intro and some chords are backing with Edge playing over them on the Epi. I respect all opinions on the topic. I just have my own

Mick
Old 06-07-2007, 01:33 PM   #36
Ghost of Love

not Streets, Edge, not Streets!!
Old 06-10-2007, 08:25 PM   #37
War Child

Local Time: 08:14 PM
both of the songs edge just played
along to backing tracks, there not
100% live by Edge! trying jamming
to a U2 backing track with xtra guitar
its the same idea without drums+bass

i have the cannes video from france 4
and another shot from private video
and ive studied it several times
all edge is doing is playing over
a recording

no way is streets sounding like that on
a Epi les paul also vertigo is a telecaster
song try using a Strat or les paul it just
dont sound the same the tele is the main
part of the sound..

plus one vox amp 2 line6 modellers
DL4 delay and DM4 Distortion modeller
and one les paul theres no way he
could create the same live sounds
as he did on live8 or german tv he would
need the right guitars a strat and telecaster
and a minirack with switching system
i read the were running late from dublin
via plane so maybe thats why edge went
jam along to U2. they did the same sort
of thing at the bbc carpark back in 2000?
were they played over backing tracks
though 2 songs were live! desire and
shes a mystery to me

BB

BB Mac is offline   Reply With Quote