Delay speeds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bugo

Acrobat
does anyone know any sites with lists of delay speeds for u2 songs or do they have a personal list in their mind?

id just find it useful to know the speeds for songs such as pride, where the streets have no name, electric co etc also the level of echo and feedback if possible!

thanks.

Actually, if your echo unit has a tap tempo, you can tap in the time by tapping the pedal to the beat. One catch- for most U2 songs, the echo is a "dotted eighth note" relative to the quarter notes you're tapping. This means the echo will sound slightly before the next beat. My Boss ME-6 can program the delay for the "dotted eighth" and so can the line 6 units I believe as well as others.

For example:
(T=quarter note taps, V= guitar note, E=echo)

V E V E V E V
T T T T

Now to play Edge rhythm, tap quarter notes and play eighth notes:
V V E V E V E V E V E V E E
T T T T

You don't have to keep tapping either, 4 times will set the tempo.

The reason this is superior to a non tap delay is 1) you don't have to change the delay time with each song, you just tap it in.

2) if your drummer can't hear you, and the timing gets off, you just tap it back in without losing a beat.

Hope this helps

Ooops when the message uploaded, it didn't leave the spaces in my tap chart. Oh Well, sorry

Im thinking about getting a rackmount and I was wondering what
unit gets the best delay(wowoy,pride,streets etc.)im pretty sure
its the korg sd3000 but do you guys have any recommendations?

edgeboy said:
Im thinking about getting a rackmount and I was wondering what
unit gets the best delay(wowoy,pride,streets etc.)im pretty sure
its the korg sd3000 but do you guys have any recommendations?

The SDD3000 is a great delay that Edge continues to use. The down sides to them is they are hard to find, expensive, have very few presets and is not midi controlable.

He is also usinng the TC 22900, another great pro level unit. They run $800+ used.

He has a Line 6 Echo Pro in his rack now. That is a more reasonable priced unit and very versitle. However, it was discontinued by Line 6.

Another good delay is the TC Electronics D2.

A lot of guys playing "Edge" have Korg SDD2000. Not at all like the 3000, I have one and it is OK, but not very relaiable...the calibration, IMO, wavers.

The delays in the new POD Pro XT are really good too.

Good Luck,

Chedge
www.u2jt.com

i think that if you wanna get rackmounted delay like a Korg SDD3000, a POD XT Pro is the way to go, same price and includes a host of other effects as well. Unless, of course, you want that original Korg sound, which is just amazing, go with the POD XT Pro

DiscothequeLP,you seem to know a lot about the edges setup.
Theres a local music store that has a yamaha r1000 rackmount
for only a 100 bucks,I think i migt get it. Did'nt edge use this around the UF period?Lastly,if i only have a couple rackmounts do you think i should use a power conditioner?

electro-harmonix Memory Man used to be Edge's orignal delay of choice if I remember correctly. He switched to the Korg's later, probably because of dependability and also because you can more accurately dial in delay times.

The sound of the Memory Man's is great, second to none, mostly due to the fact it's a bucket-brigade analog delay, therefore limited in delay times but has a lovely way of degrading the sound with each delay instance. Digital delays have to imulate this degredation.

This was one of Jimmy Page's favorite delays as well, along with the Maestro Echoplex.

The Line 6 family does a nice rendition of the Memory Man, called Analog Delay w. Mod if I remember correctly, should give you some idea of how it sounds.

But a note on tap-tempo delays, In My Humble Opinion of course:

While it is true that you can tap the tempo to your performance live, it gets you Close, but the Cigar only comes when playing with a click-track or a backing track.

Note that this does mainly apply to songs that are really delay-dependent.

Playing a song like Where the streets.. etc, with the delay "almost right", (within a few milliseconds) simply doesn't work.

It has to hit exactly on the notes, otherwise it simply messes up the song instead of adding to the percussive/groove/drum-side of the song.

A workaround the click track would be to place your guitar amp close to your drummer so that he could follow the tap'd tempo from your playing.

Which is the way I believe U2 did it extremely early on. As Edge once put it: "...at one time i became the time-keeper of the band because of the delays for my guitar..." or something like that.....

hope this helps,

cheers,

LP

Hi guys...i have a pod xt pro, it's veeeery coooolllll
more than a delay unit, also you can find in it some kind of dist like the screamer (that edge always uses) and fuzz like big muff etc...also the rotary effect (very cool for one....) amps model, cabinet and more ways to use it! A must be!!! really

notandanafn said:

But a note on tap-tempo delays, In My Humble Opinion of course:

While it is true that you can tap the tempo to your performance live, it gets you Close, but the Cigar only comes when playing with a click-track or a backing track.

If you have a drummer that can actually keep a rhythm, then tap tempo works fine.

on this website http://www.amnesta.net/edge_delay/
it writes

Edge used a 225ms delay (1-2 repeats, slightly audible) for all songs on the
'Boy' tour and for most of the 'Boy' and 'October' albums. During this time,
he used an EH Memory Man Deluxe, which has a range of 5ms-550ms

not sure were this guy has got his info but this is not correct
infact edge must of used lower delay times cause sum stuff
i play is around 100ms for the boy Album a fast slapback
delay plus he used 2 deluxe memory mans together sumtimes
its good what he put together but his info is not 100%
in my view and ive been using delay for long time now

BB Mac