Dallas Schoo interview 06.15.15

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I feel like what was bad about Pop was not the band's direction but how it was sold and promoted! People were (and still are) looking things at the wrong angle. I know Bono acknowledge that fact about sales not being a good measure of music's popularity and I love that attitude. That's why I think now is kinda time for anybody to make music freely because it's not gonna sell them anyway! You never know what's gonna be great or what will work; look at physics, something as trivial as the color of melted steel can ultimately lead to the flourishing of quantum mechanics!

Anyway, but I still feel bad for Pop not selling well and guys from Island got fired because Pop was a great record; sure, it's not the masterpiece and it had some songs that didn't have focus but I loved it. But I also know U2 won't be as good now if they actually continued that direction.......

Personally I think they had pushed the envelope as far as they could have with Zoo TV and Pop was just too much for many of their fans. It didn't help that Bono was talking crap about doing a triphop album. It turned me off at first. Didn't help that the album had to be released before it was ready because the tour was about to start. And that the tour could have benefitted from some promo shows so the band could get a handle on the new songs. It was probably towards the end of leg 1 that the band was finally getting its musical act together. Not a good learning curve and not helping the band much either.

About Metallica, they just tried too hard. Thrash metal in general is kinda doomed from beginning because it relied on very particular kind of styles and sonic capacity

Thrash kicks ass! Besides, Megadeth and Slayer stayed true to their roots. Granted, they're not as big as Metallica but that's a small price to pay for not having sold their souls and integrity.

I doubt that U2 are as important to their label now as they were in 1997. If they are, then the people that run their label are fucking idiots, because depending on an old band for the health of your company means that they've never paid attention to who sells record. Hint: it's not bands of 50 somethings with 35 years and 13 records behind them.

UMG has Drake, Florence and the Machine, Ariana Grande, Avicci, Iggy Azalea, The Band Perry, Florida Georgia Line, Imagine Dragons, Rihanna.... U2 don't compare to those bands in terms of hits any more.

I disagree. Young bands don't sell much records because young audiences barely buy records any more. At least older audiences still feel the need to buy something physical in addition to the MP3's they get from iTunes. In that sense U2 is probably even more important to its record company then all those new and upcoming acts.

If we're to think that U2's creative freedom is constrained by their obligations to keeping record co. workers employed then they probably have more freedom now than they've had since before the Joshua Tree. And when they were important to the label they made their most far-out music. And Pop sold better than Zooropa, so....

But it sold crap in comparison to Achtung Baby and ATYCLB. But you're right in the sense that they do have more freedom now. As the old industry model evaporates and new bands struggle to find a way to make money from their new audiences, U2 at least is blessed with an established brand name and a large fanbase.

Anyway, if the record companies cared about not laying people off then they've been doing a piss-poor job of showing it, what with 20 years of consolidation of record companies (the secret reason why the industry is dying).

U2 play it safe because they want hits, not because they want to keep people employed. Didn't Principle Management get absorbed into Live Nation anyway? And we all know that kind of move results in people losing their jobs.

It used to be that business recognized that good workers were an asset, not something you should exploit and cut costs on. Well, maybe it used to be in Europe and U2 is a European band/enterprise. Nowadays no one's job is secure if it means company stock will go up 0.01%. Except the CEO's of course. So in that sense I see U2 moving along with the times.

As for their desire to score hits, they do feel the need to remain relevant. They probably want to avoid becoming like the Rolling Stones, whose albums just serve as an excuse to go back on tour playing their greatest hits to their old fanbase charging overpriced tickets. Or worse, join the ranks of bands like the Simple Minds or Deep Purple, playing on classic rock and/or golden oldies festivals.

Now, how to remain relevant is a discussion in itself, one which in my mind doesn't equate to scoring big hits. But that seems to be the bar U2 have set themselves. To score hits to connect with a new and young audience, while ironically not changing their sound too much as to avoid another Pop debacle and risk alienating their established audience.

It's great that Bono's recognized that SOI was overly polished though, and that Edge and Larry know it was a mistake to try to force NLOTH to be a pop album. And Adam acknowledging that they might stop trying to reach a mass pop audience...those all point to U2 realizing that they can do whatever they want. That fearlessness is what lead them to make their best work and be legends anyway.

But they were also younger back then. And the first time they tried to change their sound worked for them. It could just as easily have backfired for them. And it did backfire for them with Pop and NLOTH. Success breeds confidence, but failure tends to breed caution. Even when you know you have to push the envelope caution will still hold you back.

Death Magnetic sounded like they are their own tribute band. I feel like they need to clone or revive Cliff or something

Maybe. Then again I think DM is what you get when you're a big band, a business basically, with a lot riding upon what you do. And while Load/Reload brought in a new younger audience, it didn't produce the masterpiece that could stand up to Master of Puppets. It wasn't Metallica's Achtung Baby. Whereas St. Anger was very much Metallica's Pop. So DM became Metallica's ATYCLB, trying to go back to basics and give the fans what they wanted, a new Master of Puppets.

Maybe they should clone another Dave Mustaine instead. One without the substance abuse issues. Some of the best Metallica songs had been cowritten with Dave, or seen his influence still linger. Then again Cliff would be way better suited then Robert Trujillo. Whose playing talents are basically wasted on Metallica. And akin to asking Steve Vai to join U2 to play Bono's guitar parts.

No... it's the band 'losing their nerve' at times. When Rattle and Hum was panned, they didn't take it well. When Pop was panned they really didn't take it well - to the point of not playing any of the songs since the Elevation tour. NLOTH took a critical hit and what happened? They abandoned lots of NLOTH songs by the end of the 2010 dates.

The tours since Vertigo are one thing, but Pop songs were played during the the Elevation tour.... Gone, Wake Up Dead Man, Please, Discotheque. They weren't 'entire tour' staples, but it wasn't like they ignored the whole thing in the aftermath of it.

I think it was Adam that said that many of the NLOTH songs were dropped because they weren't taking with the audience. Sales are one thing, but seeing a bunch of blank faces staring back at you during live shows probably speak a lot more in terms of what's to play live.

The tours since Vertigo are one thing, but Pop songs were played during the the Elevation tour.... Gone, Wake Up Dead Man, Please, Discotheque. They weren't 'entire tour' staples, but it wasn't like they ignored the whole thing in the aftermath of it.

I think it was Adam that said that many of the NLOTH songs were dropped because they weren't taking with the audience. Sales are one thing, but seeing a bunch of blank faces staring back at you during live shows probably speak a lot more in terms of what's to play live.

It probably doesn't helped them that they were playing full stadiums, which allowed for a lot more casual fans who were only interested in the greatest hits. Especially since the 360 concept allowed for extra seats to be filled behind the stage that used to be unoccupied.

Generally with U2 indoor arena shows tend to have more adventurous setlists, whereas stadium shows see the band gravitate more towards greatest hits focus. Which is why I prefer to see them indoors instead of stadiums.

I disagree. Young bands don't sell much records because young audiences barely buy records any more. At least older audiences still feel the need to buy something physical in addition to the MP3's they get from iTunes. In that sense U2 is probably even more important to its record company then all those new and upcoming acts.

Florida Georgia Line's 2012 album sold twice NLOTH, and the video for their shitty ballad Drinking Fire or something has twice as many views as Every Breaking Wave. Imagine Dragons also outsold NLOTH 2:1, in the US at least. They've got to be more important to UMG than U2. They make them more money. Katy Perry and Drake also outsell U2. So did Kendrick Lamar's previous record, and To Pimp a Butterfly will probably do even better. And the others have huge hits.

So if people outsell U2 albums AND have massive hit singles, they make more money for the label than U2. U2 haven't had a hit since 2004. I don't see how you can say that they're more important to their label's financial health than artists that outsell the album-wise AND have massive hit singles.

Lol. This topic has left the tracks...

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

I know. And it's getting unrelated to Dallas himself.

Anyway, back to the track, has anyone used Collings guitars (or am I spelling it right)? I've heard they have supreme quality, but feels like they're way too pricey.

Pop wasn't "too far out" for U2 fans - it's much straighter than Zooropa. It probably sold less than Zooropa (in the US - globally it sold the same) because Americans were alienated by the strangeness of that album. Sales for Zooropa dropped by 6,000,000 from Achtung Baby in the USA. Pop actually seems to be highly compromised to me, and their first bid for prioritizing commercial success over artistic success.

I know. And it's getting unrelated to Dallas himself.

Anyway, back to the track, has anyone used Collings guitars (or am I spelling it right)? I've heard they have supreme quality, but feels like they're way too pricey.

They are pricey but great quality instruments. They make some great mandolins and nice electrics too.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Pop sold less for a few reasons. One of those was that they were spoiled by JT and AB - thinking you just have to make/release a god record and it will be played on radio and bought by the public.

They learned that a lot had changed from 1991 to 1997. Notice all of the promo things that U2 have done from ATYCLB forward. (U2 iPod through to the free Apple release)

All of those have helped but the goal post moved again thanks to fewer companies owning radio stations (programming younger artists), streaming, Downloading...

It isn't that Kendrick Lamar is making better music. It is that radio and record co's look at what they feel the target audience is (10-25) and cater to that audience.

If that younger audience were to hear a U2 song next to 'name your PPP act here', there is as much chance that the 'kids' would like it. But PPP radio doesn't really play U2; only classic rock does.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

It isn't that Kendrick Lamar is making better music. It is that radio and record co's look at what they feel the target audience is (10-25) and cater to that audience.

If that younger audience were to hear a U2 song next to 'name your PPP act here', there is as much chance that the 'kids' would like it. But PPP radio doesn't really play U2; only classic rock does.

Well, too bad I am one of those guys who is 21 years old and like U2 and want them (and other older bands with new albums)to be on the radio constantly everywhere.

Don't you guys (including members of U2) miss it when we used to listen to things with CDs, MDs (you know where Im from) and so forth?

Well, too bad I am one of those guys who is 21 years old and like U2 and want them (and other older bands with new albums)to be on the radio constantly everywhere.

That is why I pretty much stopped listening to radio altogether since the 90's. Why subject myself to something that only plays crappy music 99% of the time? I have like 6000 songs in my current MP3 playlist, so all the music I want, all the time!

Of course the downside means less exposure to new things.

It's not just U2. Metallica can't get their newer records on the radio either. It is the state of the record industry and radio. That is the bigger issue.

Then it is good that bands can bypass the radio mafia and record industry thanks to youtube and social media.

Don't you guys (including members of U2) miss it when we used to listen to things with CDs, MDs (you know where Im from) and so forth?

Not at all. Like I said, I have like 6000 songs in my MP3 playlist on my computer. I've pretty much stopped using CD's, or MD's, or LP's or tapes. All that changing sides/discs every time. What a chore. Who needs that? Besides, most of the CD's that I've burned years ago have probably become unplayable by now anyway.

I actually don't miss the time of CDs or MDs, but probably executives of record companies do

I actually don't miss the time of CDs or MDs, but probably executives of record companies do.

I'm sure they do. They would love squeezing us out of €15 for a single CD sold, especially since it only costs a fraction to make and only a fraction would go to the artist. There is however a long list of business practices, trades and professions that those involved loved and that have become extinct. Anyone remember the days when you had to go inside a bank and there were lots of people working behind counters whom you had fill in forms with in order to get cash? Or when lifts/elevators had actual people operating them? How about the people creating and selling actual paper encyclopedias? Technology has made so many things redundant and obsolete we don't even remember most of them. Too bad the record companies still have the money and the political clout to force their outdated business model and practices upon us. Not to mention the atrocious bilge masquerading as music that they're trying to sell us. Justin Bieber is a bloody crime against humanity!

Sorry to interrupt, but I'm starting to feel that there won't be any sort of gear revealing from the Edge anytime soon or you guys think otherwise?

Sorry to interrupt, but I'm starting to feel that there won't be any sort of gear revealing from the Edge anytime soon or you guys think otherwise?

No evidence of it thus far.

There were film crews on Toronto. But that was rumored as part of a HBO documentary. So no idea if gear would be covered and what angles the doc is covering as its thesis. It's probably more about the industry/Apple release and genesis of the tour.

I'm sure they do. They would love squeezing us out of €15 for a single CD sold, especially since it only costs a fraction to make and only a fraction would go to the artist. There is however a long list of business practices, trades and professions that those involved loved and that have become extinct. Anyone remember the days when you had to go inside a bank and there were lots of people working behind counters whom you had fill in forms with in order to get cash? Or when lifts/elevators had actual people operating them? How about the people creating and selling actual paper encyclopedias? Technology has made so many things redundant and obsolete we don't even remember most of them. Too bad the record companies still have the money and the political clout to force their outdated business model and practices upon us. Not to mention the atrocious bilge masquerading as music that they're trying to sell us. Justin Bieber is a bloody crime against humanity!

All true. ?

Sorry to spam this thread with bunch of my replies, but I feel like "going back to safe place musically" has been happening to lots of musicians now. U2 experienced it, Metallica did, the Killers kinda did, and now Muse is on board and I got to say, Drone was NOT their best. So I guess we just can't complain about U2 playing it safe while everybody else is.

From someone who just can't wait for SOE

Lots of musicians according to a U2 fan = U2, Metallica, The Killers, Muse

Back
Top Bottom