Cheaper alternative to a Edge's Vox AC30 Amp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

odonnela

Babyface
I used to play guitar quite a bit, for four or five years -- it's ben about two or three years since I've played, though. Now, I'm interested in getting back into it -- I'm looking to update my setup and would like to emulate the sounds of U2 (plus Pink Floyd, and others -- Zeppelin, SRV, Radoihead, etc).

I'm looking into getting a new amp, but I've heard some really good reviews of Amp Simulators, like the "Line 6 Pod 2," or the "Zoom GM-200." I've read a couple of reviews on these products, but I'm wondering if anyone has personally used them, or heard them in action. Supposedly the Pod 2 (which costs about $300) is supposed to be great, but I hear it sounds a bit artificial and produced. I hear that the Zoom pedal is good, but a bit noisy -- especially for recording.

Does anyone have any thoughts/comments/advice regarding these products? Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hey there, the POD is a great series, much better than the Zoom. With Edge's lack of space on this stage he only uses 2 Vox's plus the POD pro. He plays the Vox's at low levels and uses the speaker emulation, likely the Brit Class A, from the POD Pro to feed them. Brian Eno brought them to the studio during the making of the new CD and Edge liked them so much that he is even using them on tour for the entire gigs.

As for amps, Vox's AC-15 is good along with the Vox Cambridge series too. Definitely go and try them out to get a feel for their sound. It wont be exact but you will come close!

Laney supposedly makes an AC-30 copy, never have heard or used one myself though.

There are virtually no pro players using modelers for live shows. Yes Edge has a couple in his rack but, the common consensus among folks who study this stuff, is that they are used for only a couple of tones. Almost all of his tones come from the amps running close to full out.

Sorry to burst your hopes but there really is nothing quite like a real tube amp once it gets up to volume.

A modeler is sorta like a great looking manequin. It's not a real girlfriend. But if you're lonely you can always pretend.

If youre really on a budget by all means use the POD. But don't believe for a minute that it's just like the real thing.

I agree that's why i went with the AC30cc but if you are just effing around in your room a valvetronix is suitable.

Maybe I just got a bad Valvetronix to fool around with, but I really wasn't impressed... it had this nasty snarl on the g string that most transistor amps have... and a few other things, it really didn't sound any better than the $200 solid state amps that are available. So I relented, and went with the AC30 stack.... I will never buy a solid state again :)

Honestly, the amp isn't going to make that much of a difference if you're running at anything less than full volume.

If you're set on getting a Class A 30 watt, go with a Laney VC-30. If you can find one, Randall RT-30 (which I have) is another alternative. When you find them, they're not all that expensive, and they have good AC-30 tone.

Fact is, though, that I can get a pretty convincing Edge out of a Fender Deluxe.

The amp is important, don't get me wrong. But like the SDD3000, like the Lovetone Meatball or Doppelganger, there are less expensive alternatives that will get you to the same point, and might ive you a bit more flexibility should you choose to play other stuff besides U2.

i have a VC30 and its very good, but you its loud, so only go with it if you are in a band and need the real valve sound. Id say for bedroom use get maybe one of hybrid vox amps, if you have to have valve maybe a vc15 or Ac15 if you can afford it, Also a fender blues jr is very cool valve amp that works in the bed room you can get some great U2 sounds out of it

chadmac81 said:
Try the Vox Valvetronix.

This is a good idea. My brother has the 50 watt 2x12 version, and all the models -- which includes AC30 models of course -- sound great, at any volume, and the amp is also louder than shit, if that's something you're looking for.

AC15CC's are pretty decent. AC30CC's are pretty good too.

Valvetronix are okay but there have been some 'bugs' with them. I remember problems with speakers in some of the first ones that came out.

For home or practice, the Pathfinder 15R is a great bang for the buck at a mere 120.00

Tgravlin said:
There are virtually no pro players using modelers for live shows. Yes Edge has a couple in his rack but, the common consensus among folks who study this stuff, is that they are used for only a couple of tones. Almost all of his tones come from the amps running close to full out.

Sorry to burst your hopes but there really is nothing quite like a real tube amp once it gets up to volume.

A modeler is sorta like a great looking manequin. It's not a real girlfriend. But if you're lonely you can always pretend.

If youre really on a budget by all means use the POD. But don't believe for a minute that it's just like the real thing.

Then again, the chances that you'll ever get to crank that amp all the way up is near zero anyway so few people will notice. Especially the ones not playing guitar. Which interestingly enough tends to be most people.

I WISH I could turn my AC-30 wide open!!! I'd give anything! :drool: But I'd also be giving everyone bleeding ears, and the sound man would probably have me assassinated!

I HIGHLY doubt its wide open on stage, having seen them live, and standing in front of the Edge about a foot and a half from the stage, I can assure you, it is NOT wide open.

But ooooooh, if it were!!! That thing would sing, and I'd need hearing aids! Those amps are so f-ing loud when wide open! I personally never have been able to even TRY it wide open because the volume is sheer torture on the ears past 1/2 way.

I'd be very surprised to find out Edge has his AC-30 cranked full out onstage....I doubt it very much.

I would be very surprised if he didn't. He's probably running it through a hot plate and using a power conditioner on it, though. So it's probably up all the way, but then through the compression of the hot plate it's quieter.

Could be, I guess. I just don't agree that you can't get a decent Edge tone without running an AC-30 at full tilt. What would I know, though? :shrug:

It is pretty impossible without running an amp full volume.

Why do you say that? An ac30 at full vol is very overdriven and depending on effects and guitar can get very overdriven. Song like Bad,Streets are songs that are just under breakup. A sound like that is not a full driven ac30. I dont think Edge uses any hot plate from what I know either. My opinion anyway

Mick

Why do you say that? An ac30 at full vol is very overdriven and depending on effects and guitar can get very overdriven. Song like Bad,Streets are songs that are just under breakup. A sound like that is not a full driven ac30. I dont think Edge uses any hot plate from what I know either. My opinion anyway

Mick

:yes:

Some much needed input into this thread :up:

Why do you say that? An ac30 at full vol is very overdriven and depending on effects and guitar can get very overdriven.

I guess so, if both the pre and the post are up all the way.... I was just talking about the post being up all the way, though. The pre could be much lower.

Edge plays JMI ac30s so you only have the lone vol. There is no vol/master like some of todays amps. The new CC ac30s have this. The RI dont nor the old JMIs

Mick

I play guitar as an hobby in my living room. To play U2 I use backing tracks with live vocals, strat, another cheap humbucker guitar (Vantage), korg a3 multieffect (and its FC6 pedal controller connected with a volume and an expression pedal, both korg kvp-001) loaded with Guitar1 spc card, vox valvetronics amp AD30VT setted to emulate AC30TB. This is fine for me, really enjoy. :wave:

Back
Top Bottom