Bullet solo from Elevation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nbelcik

Refugee
Does anyone have a tab for the Elevation version of the solo from Bullet the Blue Sky? I've looked and all I've found is Zoo TV and PopMart versions.

Bumping this thread from a long time ago because I'm still trying to figure out what Edge is playing during the Elevation version. I got the PopMart and ZOO TV versions down and now I want to learn this one.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I honestly can't hear much of a difference between the Popmart version and Elevation version. If there is a difference its mostly one of feel and tabs can't help you with that. Note for note its basically the same. There's a bigger difference between the Popmart and Zoo TV versions, and even then only at the end of the solo, when you get the 2 string double stops instead of the gradual ending. Which I thought was way better.

It's my theory that when U2 goes out on a tour, usually after years of not touring, they basically pop in their last tour's DVD to check how they played their songs and base their new versions on that. Going back to the source material seems to be rare. Although that's how they seem be have things done for the current tour.

BTBS progressions through the tours:
80's: As on album, with long political outro speech
Zoo TV version: complete redesign of the solo. Original slide solo done away with, instead the most bluesy and relatively fast guitar solo Edge has ever done. Proving that Edge can play regular blues based guitar solos like most other guitarists.
Popmart: the song now gets played played in a funky staccato way, solo however remains essentially the same as Zoo TV, except for the double stop ending.
Elevation: BTBS reverts to original style, solo remains essentially the same as Popmart, including the double stops.
Vertigo: Still the same solo as on Elevation, only played cleaner and more laid back during the first half.
I+E: total reversion back to the 80's version (yawn)

I honestly can't hear much of a difference between the Popmart version and Elevation version. If there is a difference its mostly one of feel and tabs can't help you with that. Note for note its basically the same. There's a bigger difference between the Popmart and Zoo TV versions, and even then only at the end of the solo, when you get the 2 string double stops instead of the gradual ending. Which I thought was way better.

It's my theory that when U2 goes out on a tour, usually after years of not touring, they basically pop in their last tour's DVD to check how they played their songs and base their new versions on that. Going back to the source material seems to be rare. Although that's how they seem be have things done for the current tour.

BTBS progressions through the tours:
80's: As on album, with long political outro speech
Zoo TV version: complete redesign of the solo. Original slide solo done away with, instead the most bluesy and relatively fast guitar solo Edge has ever done. Proving that Edge can play regular blues based guitar solos like most other guitarists.
Popmart: the song now gets played played in a funky staccato way, solo however remains essentially the same as Zoo TV, except for the double stop ending.
Elevation: BTBS reverts to original style, solo remains essentially the same as Popmart, including the double stops.
Vertigo: Still the same solo as on Elevation, only played cleaner and more laid back during the first half.
I+E: total reversion back to the 80's version (yawn)

There's a definite difference in the middle section (right before the fast hammer ons at the end) between Elevation and PopMart and I just can't figure that part out. This video is pretty cool and shows the evolution of the solo through the ages.

http://youtu.be/qN-HQicdLus

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

You're right. There is a difference. The start of that particular run has been changed. It used to be somewhat like this:

E----------12-----------------------------------------------------
B-------12----12-15b↑1-15-12---------------------------------
G--14b↑1---------------------------------------------------------
D------------------------------------------------------------------

Instead it became a less bluesy, more Edge like run, which then smooths back into the rest of the solo, somewhat like this:

E---15-15-14-12------------------------------------------------
B-------------------15-14-12------------------------------------
G-------------------------------14-12----------------------------

Mind you though, that is not quite how he plays it. Feel plays an important factor and there's a lot going on with all the delay, wah and distortion. But at its core that part no longer revolves around a typical blues bend but around a minor scale descend.

You're right. There is a difference. The start of that particular run has been changed. It used to be somewhat like this:

E----------12-----------------------------------------------------
B-------12----12-15b↑1-15-12---------------------------------
G--14b↑1---------------------------------------------------------

Instead it became a less bluesy, more Edge like run, which then smooths back into the rest of the solo, somewhat like this:

E---15-15-14-12------------------------------------------------
B-------------------15-14-12------------------------------------
G-------------------------------14-12----------------------------

Mind you though, that is not quite how he plays it. Feel plays an important factor and there's a lot going on with all the delay, wah and distortion. But at its core that part no longer revolves around a typical blues bend but around a minor scale descend.

Back
Top Bottom