Bono's voice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sting

The Fly
Does anyone know if Bono had any vocal lessons in his early days? Or did he gain those mighty pipes from talent/pracitce alone?

What about Edge? Also an amazing singer.

(Not sure if this is the right forum for this... I hope so)

I heard that the boys in U2 were going to kick Bono out because at first he couldn't carry a tune but his stage presence and lyrics kept him in the band... and we all know the rest is history.

I was just wondering if he had any vocal lessons or anything on the way or if he just developed those pipes through constant singing/praciticng with the boys.

I cant cite my sources, but I have read and heard that Bono has taken voice lessons before the UF sessions, but that he didnt stick with it. Im sure that he has taken voice lessons at other stages in his career, for technical reasons.

Bono took vocal lessons before recording both UF and Achtung Baby (that I know of, there could have been more).

But I would wager that a lot of his vocal ability comes from the fact that U2 played gigs like crazy from 77-85 and nothing improves your voice like constant touring (as long as you're not singing in such a fashion as to destroy your voice, see Gallagher, Liam).

How is Liam ruining his voice? Not that I am defending him, I am just curious so I don't do the same thing :ohmy: .

Mind you, I havent heard many Oasis songs... I mostly just know the hits. In Wonderwall, it doesn't sound like he is doing anything too aggressive.

Sting said:
How is Liam ruining his voice? Not that I am defending him, I am just curious so I don't do the same thing :ohmy: .

Mind you, I havent heard many Oasis songs... I mostly just know the hits. In Wonderwall, it doesn't sound like he is doing anything too aggressive.

None of it is too aggressive, I can sing pretty much all of them without any strain on my vocal chords. However, Liam sings with his head tilted up, and puts undue stress there. Also from 96-98 he had a quite serious cocaine problem, and that can quite seriously damage your voice (if you can't feel then you can't feel when to stop pushing).

JCOSTER said:
:ohmy: never heard of any lessons I think they are just their God given talents. Plus the Edge and Bonos dads were tenors and sang opera.
Edge's dad too? i didn't know that! =) i thought it was just Bono's. cool.

If you've seen the performance of Kite at Slane Castle, Bono talks about how his father and Edge's "old man" were tenors in the "Culoff Musical Society" (I am so sorry, as I know I heard that wrong, but it sounds like that :sad: , please correct me!)

so yes! Very cool! Tis why Edge has a lovely tenor.

tpsglick2424 said:
I can't understand why a band would kick out a singer because he doesnt sing well...:huh:

It's pretty damn crucial. The singer is the front man of the band. Audiences judge the singer more then they do the rest of the band. He singer doesn't need to sing well if he's got good stage presence. But no amount of stage presence can save somebody who can't carry a note.

Back
Top Bottom