Bono's red guitar in "Ordinary Love" video

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Edge_Orchestra

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Is the red guitar Bono has in this video a custom guitar? It appears to be a Gretsch but what model?

It appears about 2:20 into the video.

What make and model? Is it a Gretsch? Electromatic? Custom red double cutaway Gent?

It's only seen briefly and in the edits are quick. Anyone have any ideas?

Seems to have a (RED) logo on the pick guard

U2 > News > 'Ordinary Love' - New Video by Oliver Jeffers & Mac Premo

Could it be this one?

auctionupdate-additional-lot-added-to-the-red-auction-this-gretsch-electromatic-red-zero-generation-… | JRJ

The final surprise of the evening came at the end when the Gretsch Electromatic "(RED) Zero Generation" Bono "Signature" Guitar was unexpectedly added to the auction and sold for $250,000.

AuctionUpdate: Additional lot added to the @RED Auction! This Gretsch Electromatic “(RED) Zero Generation” Bono “Signature” Guitar (and a lesson from the music legend!) just sold for $250k #REDatSothebys

I got an answer back from Fender/Gretsch:

"Hello,

This is a custom made Center Block Double Cutaway we built specially for Bono, sadly since it is a one of a kind, I do not have any detailed information about it. There may be something related to it coming along soon though."

So perhaps there is a new Bono model on the horizon? Or maybe it's just a custom work for Bono only. Time will tell.

What is Edges guitar in that photo' looks like a gibson but the name on the headstock isn't ????????

Looks like the link I posted above is expired, but here's another photo from the auction. Unfortunately not a complete photo, but looks like the same guitar in the Invisible video that breathe posted above.

GretschElectromaticREDZeroGenerationBonoSignatureGuitar250k.jpg~original

Gretsch Electromatic "(RED) Zero Generation" Bono "Signature" Guitar (and a lesson from the music legend!) just sold for $250k

BonoREDGretschinvisiblevideo.jpg~original

(Red) is the new red.

And the Photo Queen comes through again. :applaud::applaud::applaud:

Fender folks said it was a one off Custom job for Bono. (Fender/Gretsch companies being linked these days)

I'm guessing that they either made more the one - the auctioned on and the one that Bono's been seen with in recent videos OR the auctioned guitar would have been the cheaper Gretsch Electromatic... and the one that Bono's been seen with in recent videos being the 'one off' out of the Fender Custom Shop.

Looks pretty, doesn't it? (Red) is the new red.

Looks like the link I posted above is expired, but here's another photo from the auction. Unfortunately not a complete photo, but looks like the same guitar in the Invisible video that breathe posted above.

GretschElectromaticREDZeroGenerationBonoSignatureGuitar250k.jpg~original

BonoREDGretschinvisiblevideo.jpg~original

I'm sure a red irish something will be released, and I'll buy it for 3G's like the irish falcon :)

I'm sure a red irish something will be released, and I'll buy it for 3G's like the irish falcon :)

So far, what has been seen is (RED) Gretsch G5422TDC Electromatics. One was auction. One given to Fallon…

Gretsch stated they made a custom one-off for Bono. So what Bono has and what they have been auctioning might not exactly the same thing.

Only custom bit might be Bono's has the Gretsch G-Cutout Tailpiece (™) instead of the Bigsby.

Will there be a (Red) Irish Falcon? Remains to be seen. The are making red, ice blue and shell pink Falcon's these days, so anything is possible.

Gretsch Electromatic G5623 Bono RED Guitar

Thanks to Chris for passing on the info. Looks cool. The pickups are similar to those on the Electromatic Duo Jets - they sound pretty good.

Also new this year is the Gretsch G5620 Bono RED Electromatic guitar. Details are scarce currently, but it’s evident that Gretsch are supporting the RED Cause, founded by Bono, which seeks to provide aid and support to those affected by diseases including HIV AIDS.

The guitar is an Electromatic Centre-Block and features the RED branding and RED finish.

Gretsch Electromatic New 2014 Colours | Andertons Blog

Link to guitar (Presently says not available to buy. I suspect that will change soon):

Gretsch Electromatic G5623 Electric Guitar in Bono Red | Andertons

Tough call. I wonder where it's made, I thought the really nice modern gretsch models are the high end custom jobs, much like epiphone

yes - like suspected, it will be for sale! Some version of it anyways.

It's listed on the Anderton's site. And a friend that was at NAMM said they had it there. So it will be available. Price and details don't seem to be yet available.

Gretsch Electromatic G5623 Electric Guitar in Bono Red | Andertons

The semi-hollow center-block models are going for $875-899. I suspect this will be $999+, as money will be going to (RED). I think more than likely they will be in the $1,099-$1,199 range.

Tough call. I wonder where it's made, I thought the really nice modern gretsch models are the high end custom jobs, much like epiphone

Most of the Electromatics are made in Korea.

I don't agree with the epiphany being a high end custom job. Many are crap. Thanks to competition, they are better than they were 10 years ago.

Squier (Fender), Epiphone (Gibson) and Electromatic (Gretsch) have worked to make their lines more respectable and still (somewhat) affordable.

They didn't have it out at NAMM that I saw. I spent a ton of time all around Fender and Gretsch and it wasn't in there. I think it was announced at NAMM but not shown publicly.

I bet it's closer to $1100 since it includes a case that the other electromatics don't include.

Back
Top Bottom