Bono's New Fender Custom Shop guitar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That is a crime... :angry: Especially when they are going for what they are going for on eBay.

Interesting to see what the Tele will go for when it's so called 'available'?:hmm:

The Fender Custom Shop / Gretsch hybrid Telecaster (that Bono has been using for "The Fly") isn't a production model. Thus far there are no plans to release it as a production model.

You could probably have Fender Custom Shop build you one of the Tele's but, it's not going to be cheap.

Fender Custom Shop guitar builder earn a good wage and rightfully so. It isn't like it's being made by a minimum wage (or less) earning worker in one of the factory's in another country. So in that, it's a case of good materials and the labor cost isn't cheap.

If it is build by a masterbuider it costs that much more. So if you have Paul Waller build you the Tele, since he's the one that built Bono's, that costs.

Just played a Paul Waller build Custom Fender 72 Thinline that the president of my company owns. Very similar to Bono's but Birdseye maple neck, and dual fender humbuckers in it. Beautiful white finish with black pickguard. Very jealous...

Just played a Paul Waller build Custom Fender 72 Thinline that the president of my company owns. Very similar to Bono's but Birdseye maple neck, and dual fender humbuckers in it. Beautiful white finish with black pickguard. Very jealous...

Nice! I think I saw a photo of that once. Can't remember if you'd shared it or if it was in a Custom Shop 'Tweet'.

I just toured the Fender factory in Corona last week, and when we were going through the Master builders' section, I saw a tele-gretsch on the wall based on a white falcon, rather than an irish falcon. I had forgotten the name of the builder of Bono's, so I asked the guy if he was the one who built Bono's. Turned out it was, it was Paul Waller himself! Apparently he liked Bono's (or whoever came up with it) idea, and built at least one more to hang in his office!
EDIT: just reread the original post and saw that there was a white one first. The tour guide asked him if the white falcon tele was made before bono's, but Paul said he built it afterwards. So, it could be a different one, or maybe bono's came first.

:hmm: I still get confused as to who is credited with what, with the original green one that Bono has. Only because Dallas was was very definite about the fact that Bono's guitar was his idea, and his design, when I spoke to him last June (7th, 2011.)

:hmm: I still get confused as to who is credited with what, with the original green one that Bono has. Only because Dallas was was very definite about the fact that Bono's guitar was his idea, and his design, when I spoke to him last June (7th, 2011.)

Could have been guitar-ical kismet?

Dallas could have came up with the idea and Paul Waller said: "Oh, you mean like this but in Bono Green?"

Mayhaps? :D

I don't think Dallas would lie about such a thing.

sorry for bringing back the old page, but do you know the relationship between this guitar and other Tele-Gretsch fusion guitars? like White Chicken owned by some people including Josh from RHCP and so on. Was Bono's tele-falcon inspired by other Tele-Gretsch or it's independent of others' guitars?

What came first... The Tele Chicken or the egg?

What came first, the white chicken or the egg?

I've heard that Dallas worked with Fender Custom shop to develop the guitar for Bono.

When I ran into Dallas in June 2010, he's said that he'd found a vintage Telecaster for Bono. Bono loved it and was playing a lot of guitar around then. That was after he hurt his back and while they were finishing the Spiderman soundtrack.

That Telecaster was likely what lead Dallas to approaching Fender. Bono wanted to play more guitar. Liked the vintage Tele. But what would be better in that moment, as he hurt his back? A light thin-line Tele with similar color/appointments to his signature Irish Falcon.

The Orange and White chickens were FCS one-offs. Or initially one-offs. I've been told you can special order them (they are pricey). Both of those are also archtops. Bono's is a flat-top thinline.

So there are differences. I think both were hatched around the same time. I'm not 100% sure which was first - Bono's or the FCS NAMM chicken guitars.

I can say, I love Bono's thinline Gretsch-O-Caster. Even cooler and fitting for the Joshua Tree tour? It'd be cool if they had a Black Falcon-esque Tele made - black finish with gold appointments... perfect for The Joshua Tree.

sorry for bringing back the old page, but do you know the relationship between this guitar and other Tele-Gretsch fusion guitars? like White Chicken owned by some people including Josh from RHCP and so on. Was Bono's tele-falcon inspired by other Tele-Gretsch or it's independent of others' guitars?

Hey Bono's gotta pull off some Fender Lead just to get back 80s aesthetics.

jokes aside, i have heard that it takes a year to make one "White Chicken" tele. that's very long time for making a guitar, don't you think?

The actual building probably not. I could do that in less then a week. Applying a good paint job and finish, that can take weeks. But as most of that time is spent letting glue and paint set and dry it's just a question of putting those parts back in storage and in the meantime work on something else. I doubt that one guy is working constantly on that one guitar.

No more moot then signature guitars from Jimi Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughan and Rory Galagher?

Besides, it's Bono. Occasionally we saw him play guitar but overall we rarely heard him play guitar. I can't say I miss much when he's not playing. Other then rule of cool (the green Tele looked awesome) unless you're a Bono fan why should I want a Bono signature guitar?

The actual building probably not. I could do that in less then a week. Applying a good paint job and finish, that can take weeks. But as most of that time is spent letting glue and paint set and dry it's just a question of putting those parts back in storage and in the meantime work on something else. I doubt that one guy is working constantly on that one guitar.

have you build a hollow body guitar? just wondering

Back
Top Bottom