Bono's chords on kite

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

V Nura

Refugee
Any one know the chords bono is pplaying on kite??? I see lots of edge tabs otu there..nothing for bono

I play the verse E and Esus4.

"And hardness ..." part is C#m and A.

"I want you to know ..." is E C#m A.

Chorus is E B A.

Not to be picky, but the verse is A to E...almost 100% positive. You can see Bono going back and forth in the Boston DVD.

I play the A like this, it's a suspension a believe...

E--0
B--0
G--2
D--2
A--0
E--0

I guess it is pretty similar to an Esus...

E--0
B--0
G--2
D--2
A--2
E--0

------------------
Rock 'N Roll is the sound of revenge.

Originally posted by Se7en:
Not to be picky, but the verse is A to E...almost 100% positive. You can see Bono going back and forth in the Boston DVD.

I play the A like this, it's a suspension a believe...

E--0
B--0
G--2
D--2
A--0
E--0

I guess it is pretty similar to an Esus...

E--0
B--0
G--2
D--2
A--2
E--0

Yeah, I saw the Boston DVD and I was sure it was an A as well. But whenever I played A, it didn't sound right. The sus chord worked, and I do play it like you do. I just didn't know what to call it, and if you play Esus4, it sounds almost the same. I'm also pretty sure it is E to A, instead of A to E (I'm probably also being picky) as the song is in the key of E.

Originally posted by The Blunt Edge:
Yeah, I saw the Boston DVD and I was sure it was an A as well. But whenever I played A, it didn't sound right. The sus chord worked, and I do play it like you do. I just didn't know what to call it, and if you play Esus4, it sounds almost the same. I'm also pretty sure it is E to A, instead of A to E (I'm probably also being picky) as the song is in the key of E.

Well the A chord is like a pick-up to the E...it comes on the 4th beat of the measure. So depending on whether you count it as a pick-up or not, the verse could be either A - E or E - A.
smile.gif

------------------
Rock 'N Roll is the sound of revenge.

Well, ok then, to make it all complete:

E Asus2 E Asus2
Something Is about to give
E Asus2 E Asus2
I can feel it coming I think I know what it is
E Asus2 E Asus2
I'm not afraid to die I'm not afraid to live
E Asus2 E Asus2
And when I'm flat on my back I hope to feel like I did

A
And hardness It sets in
C#m A
You need some protection The thinner the skin

E A C#m A
I want you to know That you don't need me anymore
E A C#m
I want you to know You don't need anyone
Aadd9 Esus4
Or anything at all

E
Who's to say where the wind will take you
B
Who's to say what it is will break you
A
I don't know Which way the wind will blow

E
Who's to know when the time has come around
B A
Don't want to see you cry I know that this is not goodbye

E-Asus2-E-Asus2

E Asus2
In summer, I can taste the salt in the sea
E Asus2
There's a kite blowing out of control on the breeze
E Asus2
I wonder what's gonna happen to you
E Asus2
You wonder what has happened to me

A-A-C#m-A

E B A
I'm a man I'm not a child
E B A
A man who sees The shadow behind your eyes

E
Who's to say where the wind will take you
B
Who's to say what it is will break you
A
I don't know Where the wind will blow

E
Who's to know when the time has come around
B A
I don't want to see you cry I know that this is not goodbye

E-Asus2-E-Asus2

E Asus2
Did I waste it
E Asus2
Not so much I couldn't taste it
E Asus2
Life should be fragrant
E Asus2
Rooftop to the basement

E Asus2
The last of the rock stars
E Asus2
When hip hop drove the big cars
E Asus2
In the time when new media
E Asus2
Was the big idea
E Asus2
That was the big idea

There it is! Perfectly correct for both the album and live version.

So if anyone needs any other tabs/chords emial me :)

Well, Strato, the Esus4 is only played quickly just before the chorus starts with the E chord. The chord is played as a Dsus4 on the 4th fret, like

x
x
x

At least, this is how it is tabbed in the tabbook edition that i have. The Esus4 chord only appears once during the song. If you listen very carefully to the record you can hear it, although i admit i didnt notice it at first.

patrick

Well, I'd hate to mention this, but you all ARE aware that bono isn't even hooked up to an amp when he's playing, aren't you?
I mean, it can't be that crucial... I think it's more of a pose.
(NOT that there's anything wrong with that! What's performing if not looking the best you can?)

I think there's a chance he was playing, because he was playing the chords by himself at the end of Kite on the Elevation DVD.

Strato Edge said:
I think there's a chance he was playing, because he was playing the chords by himself at the end of Kite on the Elevation DVD.

i am pretty sure he is playing on kite, but from what i hear these days about overdubs and extra musicians backstage:sexywink: , i can't be 100%

it's hard to trust officially released live material, U2 is kind of lame that way.

Why would he play the riff on Walk On (as you pointed out to me gay bunny) but not play two simple chords on Kite? Not only that but they aren't really being played 100% "right", they sound a bit off tempo...classic Bono style! ;)

Of course he's playing on Kite. Cmon now.

edited to add: I personally did see him play Kite twice, from pretty close range (like right in front of me). Both times he did it with a different strum, and you could hear it. He also hit the strings during his little intro speech, so you knew it was him playing. He also did different words with a different ending last strum.

If anyone else has seen this song live from the front 2 rows of the heart, stage centre, and wants to dispute it, I'd love to hear about it.

Otherwise Tekk is just shit disturbing without any validity whatsoever.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom