Best At Home practice setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CloserToKnowing

Acrobat
Hi all,
Looking for some input for a good at home practice setup, on a small budget. I'm looking for the classic U2 effects for songs like Streets, Bad, Pride, Heartland, etc. I've heard good things about the Line6 Pod XT... someone also recommended the AmPlug AC30. I'd probably hold back on the big amp at this point as a lot of my playing right now is late night. Can anyone offer advice or experience with either of these two items?

Anything else needed aside from an effects processor like the PodXT to get started?

Thanks

BTW...
I realize the sound will never be quite right without the classic equipment, but this is really just for my personal enjoyment at home at the moment..

I'd say almost any multi-effects units that have amp simulation and the basic effects like delay, reverb, tremolo, chorus, etc, will get you fairly close to the archetypal U2 sounds.

I use a Pocket POD in conjunction with Garageband, and between the two I have plenty of amp and cabinet models and a large variety of effects. Sure it may not be professional grade, but like you said it's fine for playing at home. The only thing the Pocket POD doesn't have is an expression pedal for things like Wah, Volume and Whammy. I plan on getting another multi-effects unit with a pedal built in very soon, and for under $100.

Personally I'd love to have a Pod X3 Live, but I don't have $500 to blow on a guitar effects box right now.

So, to sum up, you could buy any number of low-end multi-effects pedals and with a bit of tweaking you'll be able to get some respectable U2 sounds. The Pocket POD has these presets already built in: Streets, Bad, With or Without You, and something called "Achtung Tone" that does actually sound a bit like a tone you'd hear on a variety of Achtung Baby songs.

i have a pod xt live. it's the shit. hook it up to your computer and edit effects with your mouse, it doesn't get any better. the tone is fabulous, the range of effects is mind boggling, and the efficiency and usability of the usb interface is unparalleled. best guitar product i've ever bought :up:

is the only difference between the pod xt and pod xt live the floor pedal setup? Although it would be nice, I can do without the pedal and move between effects the old fashioned way for now...

Thanks for the input guys. I found quite a few patches for the pod xt. From what I've read and the posts above, it seems to be good bang for the $$. I'll have to try it out.

I use a DigiTech RP250 and play it through a Line 6 Spider III 15w via the CD/MP3 input which bypasses all the Spider's effects so I get a clear crisp sound. I use RP250's AC30 sim.
I find I can get pretty close to every sound from Streets to I will Follow to UTEOTW and EBTTRT. Its only problem is you can only adjust 1 parameter (Vol, Delay type, Delay time, Distortion type, Distortion lvl,.....) per patch, using the pedal. But you could set up two patch for a song and place them beside each other for cleans and distortion parts of a song - minor.
The only song sound I have trouble with is Mysterious Way, but the RP250 has got a AutoYaYa which gets me reasonably close.

That said I do plan on getting a Vox AD30VT and maybe a Vox ToneLab LE fx pedal. I've heard only positive comments in terms of a U2 setup, regarding this combination.

Best home amps (in no particular order)
Vox AD30VT
Peavey Classic 30 (copy of the VoxAC30)
LAney VC30 (copy of the VoxAC30)

Best home effects pedals (in no particular order)
ToneLab LE
Line 6 POD XT Live
Line 6 POD Floor Plus.

The two most important parameters for Edge are distortion and delay.

BTW...
I realize the sound will never be quite right without the classic equipment, but this is really just for my personal enjoyment at home at the moment..

Many a tribute Edge have been able to get good Edge-tone (tm) from gear that The Edge doesn't necessarily use.

The Fractal Audio AxeFX is one unit that some tribute Edge's I know have used that get ALOT of The Edge's tones. ALthough the AxeFX is pricey.

The Line 6 M13 SMOKES the PodXT live in tone and Edge-tone. (my humble view)

I've seen a few other U2 tributes, who concentrated on earlier U2 material, get convincing tone with some basic pedals.

Is the main difference between the Line6 M13 and their PodX3 Live that the M13 only does stompbox modeling and not amp/cab modeling?

Back
Top Bottom