beginner help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wild_Lemon

Babyface
:help:
hehe k.. so i've finally picked up the guitar, and i think i'm at the point where i can ditch my crappy 3/4 for a real one.
but i dunno what to get! hehe i figure i could ask you guys, as u are more knowledgeable than me on this subject.

but i been lookin at the yamaha pacifica, or the ibanez grx40, any recommendations??
i want a guitar that has versatility to it, where i can play U2 to Weezer and everything in between.
so waht kinda setup do you guys recommend?
as in amp, and effects and stuff
i'd say range in money about 500 CDN, or around 300 to 350 US.

thanx for any info u guys can give me! :up:

If you can only have one guitar it might be usefull to get one without a tremelo. That way you can tune it to whatever tuning you like. Guitars with tremelo's take forever to tune. On the last tour alone U2 had guitars with some 4 different tunings between them.
As for effects and amps, haven't bought any lately, can't help.

hehe okay, w/o tremolo. heeh got it..

emmm outta curiousity, what is the tremelo? hehe like what does it do?

hehe sorry, i'm a beginner, it's all so new to me. hehe

Get a strat

If you're looking to have this guitar for a while, go with a Fender Strat (the Made in Mexico ones will fit in your budget). You WILL get both the U2 and Weezer sounds with this guitar. Yes, a guitar with a tremolo takes a while to tune as you have to go through and tune all the strings multiple times to finally get it in tune, but it will give you some variety in your music (Edge uses the tremolo bar now and then). I started out with a Made in Mexico strat and I could not be happier with my decision. For your budget and the tone you are looking to get, I don't think any other guitar would fit the bill as nicely. If you can find a hardtail (non-tremolo) Mexican strat (I don't think they make them) or a cheap hardtail American strat you may want to go with that. I prefer the tremolo as I have two strats set to different tunings - one standard and one down a half step.

hmmm all ver interesting!! thanx for the info AughrimFurey and Muad'zin. i was also looking at the squier telecaster. is there a difference here with the mexican strat?

also, outta the four guitars:
yamaha pacifica
ibanez grx40
mexican strat
squier telecaster

which is best you think?
and anyone got any suggestions about amps? and effects?

thanx again! hehe any info is good info to me!

guitars and such

Strats usually have a flush vibrato, which allows for pitch-lowering, and not pitch-raising, although I have mine set up for both. In case you're still confused, the vibrato arm, or "trem" (which is actually an incorrect term musically, but has stuck), is also known as a "whammy bar."

Squiers tend to be fairly cheaply made in Korean factories (at least as of a few years ago), but there are definitely good ones -- you just need to be careful. Telecasters have a distinctive tone, but are generally limited because of the one pickup, and you won't be able to play anything super-heavy, but you might not be looking for that anyway.

Mexican strats, as far as I can tell, are pretty good. And the Yamaha Pacifica that I have played was fairly well-made as well. Ibanez is a very good name, but I don't know much about them.

The most important thing is to play them all, preferably with the same amp, and at the same time. Take your time; it's your money and your musical enjoyment at stake. Compare how each of them feels. If you really like one guitar but it just doesn't "feel" right, ask if you can have it adjusted by the guitar tech in shop. Also be mindful of the amp you play them on, as different amps can make a single guitar sound entirely different.

You have to enjoy playing it. Or else soon enough you won't be playing it at all.

good luck

k

Hi there

I'd go for the Yamaha Pacifica
The marshall 25 RCD
and for effects i'd go for the Zoom 505 II (has all the effects you'll ever need!)

good luck!

Wild_Lemon said:

emmm outta curiousity, what is the tremelo? hehe like what does it do?

i know it's been answered, but i really wanted to say that it's that thing that makes it go WHEEERNEENRNRNRNRNENENWNWNENENENE

damn...that didn't work

but yeah, they are a pain to tune...and don't go play bass instead...play both!

Back
Top Bottom