Beginner Guitar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MCF74

The Fly
Hey everyone! I'm sure this topic has shown up here before, but I'm new, so I missed it if it was.

I'm wanting to learn how to play guitar, and need advice for my first one to purchase. Any suggestions? What is a good starter acoustic for around $200-250?

Thanks so much!

I started one of my students on a washburn for about $200, it works good for him. Takamine make good stuff. I guess fender make decent acoustics too, never used em though :shrug:

Do you know someone who know about guitars to go to the store and check out guitars with you? Thats what I tell people.

Good luck :D

Thanks! Yeah, I'm pretty sure I can find someone to go with me. Do you play an electric? I want to learn the electric after I've gotten the swing of the acoustic, so I can ultimately handle both.

Yeah, I play both. just got a fender american strat:drool:

:shifty:
anyway, I had a squire strat for the last 3 years (my first guitar) it was fine for the first 2 years :wink: good starter guitar :up:

good luck learning and have fun :D

MCF74 said:
Thanks! Yeah, I'm pretty sure I can find someone to go with me. Do you play an electric? I want to learn the electric after I've gotten the swing of the acoustic, so I can ultimately handle both.

You should also consider an acoustic/electric - then when you get an amp for your future electric, you can plug your acoustic in as well. Something to consider, anyway. :)

Electrics are easier to learn on too. Me and my brother have an electric and an acoustic and the electric was muuuuch easier to learn stuff on.

I've been playing strictly accoustic for 3 years now and hope to get an electric soon. I think starting with an acoustic is the way to go and will ultimately make you a better overall guitar player, electric or accoustic.

With a budget of $200 to $250, I'd skip the electronics since the extra cost means you get a lower quality guitar. You can always add electronics to your accoustic latter if you want to. Getting someone who knows how to play shop with you is a good idea as is getting it from a shop with good customer service that can set up and service your guitar properly (avoid Axe-in-a-Box mega-chains).

Even though playability is going to be more important than sound initially, you can find a solid top guitar in your price range. Solid top means it is a solid layer of spruce or cedar instead of plywood so it sounds better and ages better. As mentioned above, Washburn makes a solid top in your price range as does Yamaha although I don't know how good they are. Takamine usually charges a bit more for solid tops but all their guitars usually are very playable, meaning set up well for easy playing out of the factory.

If you can afford a bit more or can find one used, the Godin guitar company out of Canada makes some excellent entry level guitars. Their brand names are Seagull, Norman, Art and Lutherie and Simon and Patrick. I have a Seagull and like it alot.

Good luck & have fun.

Thanks everyone! Some great advice here. I had heard that electrics were easier to learn on, but I've also been told I should start on an acoustic and master it first. What does everyone think? I am going to be writing songs, though, and I've heard that an acoustic is better for that. The Washburn is going to get a good, hard look from me. It sounds like a winner!

Either way, I will definitely be buying an electric at some point. I really want to learn both.

The electric is easier for stuff at the beginning but the acoustic is not that hard. I'd get the acoustic and if a few months in you find it too hard, get the electric (since you want it eventually anyway) :)

OnFire said:
I've been playing strictly accoustic for 3 years now and hope to get an electric soon. I think starting with an acoustic is the way to go and will ultimately make you a better overall guitar player, electric or accoustic.

With a budget of $200 to $250, I'd skip the electronics since the extra cost means you get a lower quality guitar. You can always add electronics to your accoustic latter if you want to. Getting someone who knows how to play shop with you is a good idea as is getting it from a shop with good customer service that can set up and service your guitar properly (avoid Axe-in-a-Box mega-chains).

Even though playability is going to be more important than sound initially, you can find a solid top guitar in your price range. Solid top means it is a solid layer of spruce or cedar instead of plywood so it sounds better and ages better. As mentioned above, Washburn makes a solid top in your price range as does Yamaha although I don't know how good they are. Takamine usually charges a bit more for solid tops but all their guitars usually are very playable, meaning set up well for easy playing out of the factory.

If you can afford a bit more or can find one used, the Godin guitar company out of Canada makes some excellent entry level guitars. Their brand names are Seagull, Norman, Art and Lutherie and Simon and Patrick. I have a Seagull and like it alot.

Good luck & have fun.

On Fire-
A lot of this is sound advice and i think you make some good points - but you've only played an acoustic! :wink:

Seriously though, it's easier to learn chords on an electric but that shouldn't necessarily be the determining factor but also, there are plenty of decent acoustic electrics out there. . . and i wouldn't be overly concerned with getting an outstanding guitar unless you have a lot of $$ - if you truly want to make an investment, yeah you can consider getting a Taylor or something even nicer, but in reality, a Takamine would be a more than adequate starting guitar - and give you flexibilty later - don't mess around with crummy add on pick-ups for nice acoustics. . . :)

Actually, I have played a bunch of electrics, I just don't own one. I will admit to pleading ignorance in that dept. though. :wink:

I just think for most beginners it's not worth it to get an acoustic with electronics (assuming your chosing an acoustic over an electric guitar) is because your not likely to be needing the extra volume and amp for live performances anytime soon. If you want an acoustic with electronics though, Taks are definetly the way to go.

OnFire said:
I just think for most beginners it's not worth it to get an acoustic with electronics (assuming your chosing an acoustic over an electric guitar) is because your not likely to be needing the extra volume and amp for live performances anytime soon. If you want an acoustic with electronics though, Taks are definetly the way to go.

You may very well be correct, but in my experiences, here's how it goes: if you get an acoustic it's great for several months and then the student, unless he or she peservers, becomes bored and starts to glamourize electrics (we're talking about U2 fans here, not folk-loving persons) and gets one along with an amp. Eventually, he or she becomes bored with the electric as he or she gets better and then pedals are added. . . at this point, the student begins to play the acoustic again and wishes they had pick-ups for their acoustic. . .

Okay, maybe that was just me! (well, and one of my best friends) :D

I now have two electrics (one to leave tuned 1/2 step down for U2) and a nice acoustic and am considering getting the variax acoustic from Line 6, so that I can record into Garageband. . . of couse, that necessitated a large upgrade in my computer speakers to something palatable (Logitech Z-2300 2.1 THX-Certified speakers), a pre-amp for my guitars and the iControl by M-Audio for Garageband.

Now, if I could only afford that Line 6 guitar (and well, maybe a MIDI guitar too!) :)

I would agree with OnFire basically.

For $200, you can get a nice acoustic.
For $200 you will be buying a low end acoustic/electric

and at the point where the player becomes bored with the acoustic and wants to "rock out", I dont think rocking out on an acoustic/electric is going to suffice, IMHO.

I say get a nice acoustic for $200, learn basics and play it for as long as you can stand it, keep learning.

Then you can buy a low end electric on the next $200 you save up. You can get a used Squire or something (knock-off Fender).

It's the same thing with golf clubs. I know people who buy $800 sets of golf clubs thinking it will make them better players. If you can't play well with the lower end stuff, then what's the use?

I always played with crap guitars, pawn shop, used, whatever.
And I got the best playing/learning off of a $75 acoustic I boucht at a pawn shop. So when I upgraded, I thought I was fucking Stevie Ray Vaughn or some shit. I wasn't, but it really gives you a boost in confidence. And then you just progress that way.

There are many different ways to go about it, in terms of maximizing your cash. If I were you, I'd get a low end acoustic and with the money left over start saving for an electric and amp.
But to each his own. GG's advice is good too, it's just depending on how you want to go about it.

Back
Top Bottom