Bass for U2 tribute band

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tbirddad

Babyface
If you were going to see a U2 tribute band, what bass would you expect or want the bassist to be playing?

If you were going to see a U2 tribute band, what bass would you expect or want the bassist to be playing?

All in all, it might depend on your budget. But you could get a Made In Mexico Precision.

You could get a Precision and have it refinished in Gold or Lilac Purple sparkle.

You could get a tobacco finish Precision. Adam has played the 1972/1973 tobacco Precision for ages. That would be one that would be recognizeable and one that Adam used extensively. (Better to have someone that knows what they are doing.)

adamjtwhiteshirt.jpg

Joshua Tree era (Photo above)

e84d121a.jpg

ZOOTV era with House of Pain sticker

fad6fbde.jpg

Picture (ABOVE) was from the Tibeten Freedom Concert in 1997 / Popmart-era - HOP sticker is not present - mirrored pickguard was added for the tour.

200120-20U220Elevation20Tour_2nd20Leg20Europe_2001-08-1920London20pictures20by20Susanne20Kempf_London2-31-31A.jpg

Elevation tour era (Photo above)

If you get tobacco, you can then have it "relic'ed" or do so yourself. You can find the 'House of Pain' sticker online or ebay, like a friend of mine had done.

All of that said, Dallas told me that Adam does NOT like Tobacco finish. So a lot of the wear on the 1972/1973 might have been intentional.

Warwick makes a Korean Made gold Reverso but it's still not super cheap.

So again, it might come down to the budget.

:tongue: Squiers can be fine basses if you get a good one.

And I agree on the tobacco finish, it's very recognizable. Same with the white precision with red pickguard, I can't remember what the finish was called... similar to the tortoise one.

And right now any purple or gold sparkle, and a warwick. ;) If they're a vertigo era looking coverband, a lakland.

:tongue: Squiers can be fine basses if you get a good one.

And I agree on the tobacco finish, it's very recognizable. Same with the white precision with red pickguard, I can't remember what the finish was called... similar to the tortoise one.

And right now any purple or gold sparkle, and a warwick. ;) If they're a vertigo era looking coverband, a lakland.

Lakland are great bass guitars. I used to work as a tech with a tribute band. Their 'Adam' had a number of great bass guitars, including a Reverso. But the bass of his that I though had the nicest punch and tone was his Emerald Green Lakland.

(That is not to diminish the greatness of said tribute Adam's other bass guitars)

Gold Spakle Daryl Jones, like Adam's - perhaps?
3983042494_e851a5cc47_o.jpg

While Lakland no longer makes the Jones, Osborne or Glaub models but they do make them without the 'signature' affiliation.

3982280189_0a540e4613_o.jpg

The Bob Glaub signature series was like a Precision. As mentioned, Lakland doesn't 'do' signature series any longer.

Adam Clayton used a Bob Glaub model Lakland during the 'Elevation' tour.

200120-20U220Elevation20Tour_2nd20Leg20Europe_2001-08-2120London20pictures20by20Susanne20Kempf_London3-33-26.jpg

The "SKYLINE" Series are a bit cheaper than the regular Lakland bass guitars.

Skyline Series
Our Skyline 44-64 shares the same aesthetics and Lakland hybrid pickup as the US-made version. The 44-64 captures the rich and defined power of those early basses that revolutionized the four-string low-end world. The tone and power of a well-preserved vintage instrument with flawless Lakland fretwork and neck refinements make this another of our modern classics

44-64 CUSTOM is the Lakland verision of the Fender Precision The Custom has block markers instead of dot markers. (To me that looks tons better)
Welcome to Lakland

44-64 is the Lakland verision of the Fender Precision WITH a JAZZ-style matching painted headstock
Welcome to Lakland

It's interesting how these pics are technical to y'all, but sexual to fangirls. Ummmh, biceps!

I wonder how the subject about Adam's non-tobacco preference came up with Dallas? Anyway, I don't think I've seen pics of him using the beat-up tobacco base on 360 at all. He's become quite the sparkly showman (to match his outfits):sexywink:

I wonder how the subject about Adam's non-tobacco preference came up with Dallas? Anyway, I don't think I've seen pics of him using the beat-up tobacco base on 360 at all. He's become quite the sparkly showman (to match his outfits):sexywink:

I don't think that Adam took the 1972/1973 (He's referred to it by both vintages in interviews) was used during the 360 tour. Understandable as he had loads of new 'toys' this past tour.

How did it come up? I ran into Dallas at Guitar Center. While talking, he said that he is always on the look for `60's era Fender bass guitars. It's sort of a standing request, that he keep an eye out for them. He likes the matching painted headstock, particularly Sherwood Green, which is one of Adam's favorite finishes.

The salesman showed him a late `60's tobacco Fender Jazz bass. Dallas said that Adam doesn't like tobacco finish.

Keep in mind that the natural finish Jazz bass that was auctioned in 2008, was originally tobacco.

BEFORE:

LIVE AID - 1985
Jazz-1972-tobacco-Live_Aid1985-1.jpg

VERTIGO tour
Adam15.jpg

AFTER REFINISH (and neck / pickguard change):
large-391_jpg_w560h420.jpg

From Icons of Music Auction literature -

ICONS of MUSIC II Auction - May 31, 2008

Item# 391

ADAM CLAYTON STAGE, VIDEO AND STUDIO-PLAYED BASS GUITAR:

1972 Fender Jass Electric Bass with “off-set” contoured waist body design.

The Following information is from Dallas Schoo, U2’s long-tmie guitar technician:

This is a 1972 Fender Natural Jazz Electric Bass.

Adam Clayton recorded with this instrument on U2’s The Unforgettable Fire album in 1984. It’s original color ten was a sunburst finish and was used on the follow-up U2 The Unforgettable Fire tour. He also used this bass on subsequent U2 The Unforgettable Fire related videos.

Adam also performed with ths bass when it was still with its’ sunburst color finish as U2’s 1985 London Wembley Stadium “Live Aid” appearance on the songs “Bad” and “Sunday Bloody Sunday” which can be seen on You Tube.

Adam replaced the bass’ neck with a vintage 70’s-era rosewood neck, had the sunburst finish stripped down to its present “natural” finish in the later years and also replaced the dark original “pick guard” with one more compatible to the natural-finish vintage white one that remains on the bass to this day.

$20,000-$30,000

Nice story! OMG Guitar Center? I thought they'd shop at underground havens where you need to know the who's who of the guitar world and give a password:lol:

My drivemate and I were kidding that we could find Edge in Guitar Center when we drove into Minny for the show!

No way... Guitar Center! My impression of it was that it's so maninstream and commercial, so you'd attract 15 year-old kids with $100 looking to buy their first electric guitar:reject:

Nice story! OMG Guitar Center? I thought they'd shop at underground havens where you need to know the who's who of the guitar world and give a password:lol:

My drivemate and I were kidding that we could find Edge in Guitar Center when we drove into Minny for the show!

No way... Guitar Center! My impression of it was that it's so maninstream and commercial, so you'd attract 15 year-old kids with $100 looking to buy their first electric guitar:reject:

Dallas doesn't shop at 'underground havens' alone. It's mostly vintage shops. And Guitar Center Hollywood does have a big selection of vintage guitars. Although, it isn't like Dallas is shopping for Squier Stratocasters in the main room at Guitar Center.

I watched Dallas buy a 1976 Gibson Explorer at the Guitar Center. I was sitting there playing it. He walked in. Recognized me and said hello. I said: I guess you are here for this? :held guitar out to him: He said: Is it...? I said: Yep, 1976 w/the thicker neck... just like your boss likes. he bought it on the spot.

Very cool. Sounds like a scene from a movie. Must be nice to think that Edge owns and probably tried out/ played a guitar that was in your hands. Wait... you don't work at Guitar Center, do you? Were you doing a salesman pitch to Dallas?

To make a suggestion to OP, if you're going for the current Adam look, I know he used a sparkly purple bass on 360 (especially on the first leg?) Fender or Warwick? Yeah, that one's pretty iconic and it relates to sparkly 360 Adam :D

Lilac Purple bass is a Fender Precision.

I've heard that they made him a Lilac Purple Jazz bass too. Although, I never saw him use it or evidence of it being on the tour.

He had lots of gold sparkle.

Gold Sparkle Lakland Daryl Jones mode. Gold sparkle Fender Jazz. Gold sparkle Fender Precision and Gold Sparkle Adam Clayton signature Fender Jazz bass.

I do not work at Guitar Center. But I knew that Dallas would want to see that guitar.

I agree about the sparkly bass... in that it is iconic to the latest tour. Could be easy to get a MIM Fender Precision, upgrade the pickups to Seymour Duncan SPB-1 pickup in it... and then send it off to Marty Bell Refinishing in San Diego. (He does great work)

Very cool. Sounds like a scene from a movie. Must be nice to think that Edge owns and probably tried out/ played a guitar that was in your hands. Wait... you don't work at Guitar Center, do you? Were you doing a salesman pitch to Dallas?

To make a suggestion to OP, if you're going for the current Adam look, I know he used a sparkly purple bass on 360 (especially on the first leg?) Fender or Warwick? Yeah, that one's pretty iconic and it relates to sparkly 360 Adam :D

Interestingly, he didn't play the Lakland much on the last tour...or even at all. Seems to be using the Reverso a lot. However, I would expect a tribute bass player to use a Fender jazz or precsion. The Laklands look almost exactly like Fenders if you don't look at the details.

www.u2lavation.com

Interestingly, he didn't play the Lakland much on the last tour...or even at all. Seems to be using the Reverso a lot. However, I would expect a tribute bass player to use a Fender jazz or precsion. The Laklands look almost exactly like Fenders if you don't look at the details.

www.u2lavation.com

He did use a gold sparkle Lakland for... if memory serves... some 360 performances of "City of Blinding Lights".

3983042494_e851a5cc47_o.jpg

3982280189_0a540e4613_o.jpg

Of course I thought of Adam when I bought my 1998 Fender Jazz. Yes....those are the neon yellow strings by DR.

6176575020_6d4f377ebd_z.jpg

I have heard that those strings stain the fret board, Does it?

No not at all. I believe the strings are anodized, no fret board staining at all. Previous to these ones, I had the DR Red Devils for a long time before this and there was absolutely no staining. Since I had the Red Devils, they've actually improved the process and the strings last longer. DR is Adam's choice of string.

No not at all. I believe the strings are anodized, no fret board staining at all. Previous to these ones, I had the DR Red Devils for a long time before this and there was absolutely no staining. Since I had the Red Devils, they've actually improved the process and the strings last longer. DR is Adam's choice of string.

DR is great! I just started using The strings edge uses on my guitars.

By the way can't wait to see the U2BROTHR MOVIE!!

By the time I have enough disposable income to buy myself a standard issue bass (probably Fender Precision) and/or standard issue guitar (probably Gibson Les Paul, I like the crunchy solid sounds more than a strat)... and maybe my own house so that I'm not being inconsiderate to the downstairs apartment-dwellers while I jam along to U2 songs in my living room... U2 will probably no longer be touring/recording. What a depressing thought :sad:

OT, but just had to air my thought without starting a new topic. OP, please update us on which bass(es) you have chosen for your U2 tribute band :clap:

Back
Top Bottom