Bass amps?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Galeongirl

Galeonbroad
Hey guys,

Next week there's an open day with clinics and big sales at the music store here, and I'm going there.
I still don't have a bass amp, so I was thinking, with all the sales and such I might take a look.
But fact is, I've not a clue what to look for in a bass amp since I"ve never looked at them much before.
I'm looking for a size similar to my vox Ad30Vt, so it's usable for a concert and at home. Brands, not a clue. Adam's are probably way too expensive for me anyway, I'm looking into a price range below 400 euros. :hmm:

Any bassplayers here that can enlighten me?

I'm currently playing a 50 watt Peavey Minx 110 that is perfect for home, but definitely couldn't be played out except at the smallest of small venues. I'm not sure how it compares to the Vox ad30 but you do need a lot more power for bass than guitar.

Depending on the size of the places where you're going to be playing out (pubs, parties, small auditoriums) you may want something as big as 300 watts. But if you can get by with 100-200 watts, I think Fender, Ashdown, Peavey, and Gallien-Kreuger all make combos that could be in your price range (if I'm right that 400 euros is about US$550). The Fender Rumble 100/210 goes for about $400 here in the US, and sounds pretty good, and would probably fit your needs.

I haven't tried their amps, but I've heard good things about Line 6 (I do use their recording interfaces). They have a lot of features and decent prices. I think I may go amp shopping this weekend, too.:hmm: Have fun.:up:

Thanks for the quick reaction. I was checking the website and the Fender Rumble did catch my eye! Good to hear that it's a decent one.

What features do I need to look at for a bass? Is there any such thing as distortion for a bass?
I know the bassist from Muse uses effects, but I think those are pedals.

Everyone seems to praise Line 6 into heaven, so that seems like a safe bet.

What features do I need to look at for a bass?

Just try to play as many in your price range as you can, preferably with your own bass or a similar one at the shop, and choose the one that sounds best to you. Many amps do come with built-in effects, esp. the Line 6 models, but since you can always add pedals as your budget allows, consider buying the amp that sounds the best clean. Besides you'll probably get a nicer fuzz or distortion sound from a pedal such as a Big Muff or Boss and distortion pedals tend to be among the most affordable effects.

The one feature I really want on my next amp is Cd inputs so that I can play a backing track or drum machine through it, or just jam along with Adam and Larry and Edge:D

Back
Top Bottom