Auto wah and shimmer with Nova System

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fly33

The Fly
Hey all!

I ordered a TC Electronic Nova System, which should be in tomorrow, and I'm excited to try and get some U2 tones out of it. I had a M13, but to me the drives were too digital sounding. Hoping the analog drives in the Nova will be better. Does anyone have any experience with this unit? It seems there are two flaws: no wah or auto wah (major) and no shimmer (minor). So really I have two questions:

What pedal would you recommend to get a good wah/auto wah sound? Looking at a Boss AW-3; does that allow you to use an exp pedal to use it as a normal wah?

How would you go about creating a shimmer sound? The Nova has pitch shifting, delays, reverbs... but no convenient "shimmer" setting like the M13.

Thanks!

Hi I noticed nobody had replied so I thought I'd give my opinion for what it's worth!

I've stated on here I have a line 6 pod xt live. I think it has a good auto wah and a lot of different wah's. For the money you are likely to shell out on 1 pedal, I'd personally buy an effect unit and keep more items at your disposal.

Just my opinion, I'm sure others on here would say go for 1 pedal.

Keep on rocking

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

With reference to the shimmer sound. I really don't think you'll do better than the behringer rv600. It's a clone of the verbzilla which edge uses. It's a good piece if kit for the price. You might find a few 'snobs' that avoid behringer as they are cheap but don't be put off by it.

Do a YouTube search to hear the quality

With reference to the shimmer sound. I really don't think you'll do better than the behringer rv600. It's a clone of the verbzilla which edge uses. It's a good piece if kit for the price. You might find a few 'snobs' that avoid behringer as they are cheap but don't be put off by it.

Do a YouTube search to hear the quality

I like the Mr. Black Eterna Gold Modified Reverb $179.95 (link below)
Mr. Black Eterna Gold Shimmering Reverberator

Strymon has some great reverbs with shimmer but they are not cheap.

I think the Verbzilla sounds better than the Eterna. It's also a lot cheaper on the used market if you want to save some $

I think the Verbzilla sounds better than the Eterna. It's also a lot cheaper on the used market if you want to save some $

Have to agree, I seen and tried a eterna and the verbzilla is a cut above. The behringer is a clone of verbzilla so which ever suits your budget really.

Verbzilla is great. I used to have one. But to my ears, the Mr. Black Gold Eterna (updated version of the blue Eterna) is a better sounding shimmer. The size of the Eterna is a bit more pedal board friendly too.

Again, not to say the Verbzilla doesn't do the job nicely. It does.

Verbzilla is great. I used to have one. But to my ears, the Mr. Black Gold Eterna (updated version of the blue Eterna) is a better sounding shimmer. The size of the Eterna is a bit more pedal board friendly too.

Again, not to say the Verbzilla doesn't do the job nicely. It does.

Does edge use the Eterna?

The Eterna is a very new pedal. While Edge may use it now (which I cannot confirm nor deny, but would be skeptical of unless there's proof somewhere, and it wasn't released at any point during any album recording sessions prior to LP13), to me it does not sound good UNLESS it's being sent to a satellite amp, which can be EQ'd darker. The Eterna is extremely, ice-picking and bright. Sooo much unnecessary treble.

Me and EO disagree on tons and tons though.

Does edge use the Eterna?

I don't know that Edge uses any stompbox shimmer. As far as I know, it's all been rack related.

As for the Gold Modified Eterna, it's a great sounding pedal. If you get a chance, try one out. You an get them at ProGuitarShop.com too.

http://proguitarshop.com/mr-black-eterna-gold.html

Tourist might be speaking of the original Eterna. I'm not sure.

The Gold Modified has updates from that previous model.

Best pedal shimmer? As with anything, let your own ears be the judge. I think the following have great merit. Mr Black 'Eterna Gold Modified', Verbzilla and Strymon Blue Sky and Big Sky come to mind.

Hey all!

I ordered a TC Electronic Nova System, which should be in tomorrow, and I'm excited to try and get some U2 tones out of it. I had a M13, but to me the drives were too digital sounding. Hoping the analog drives in the Nova will be better. Does anyone have any experience with this unit? It seems there are two flaws: no wah or auto wah (major) and no shimmer (minor). So really I have two questions:

What pedal would you recommend to get a good wah/auto wah sound? Looking at a Boss AW-3; does that allow you to use an exp pedal to use it as a normal wah?

How would you go about creating a shimmer sound? The Nova has pitch shifting, delays, reverbs... but no convenient "shimmer" setting like the M13.

Thanks!

I don't think that the Boss AW-3 will get you to Mysterious Ways tones (if that is what you are looking for in an AutoWah)

The Emma Discumbobulator is a good autowah. I was 'out of print' for a while but it's being made again.

http://www.godlyke.com/emma-effects-pedals/discumbobulator-envelope-filter

Video Demo - Discumbobulator
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cbb4Zv36cK0

The Pigtronix Envelope Phaser seems to be the closest that I've heard for Mysterious Ways tone in a pedal. Being that the MW tone is auto-wah and phaser... and the Pigtronix does both...

Pigtronix EP2 Envelope Phaser

They even do a Mysterious Ways bit in the video on Pro Guitar Shop demo.

E_O, I've played both Eternas now. They're both extremely bright. Neither has a tone control. They both came and went from my pedal board for exactly that reason.

OP, I haven't played a shimmer pedal without flaws yet. Oddly, the Verbzilla has been the best actual shimmer effect in my opinion - even over the Strymons (which I do not own anymore, by the way). The Strymons have a weird ramping when it comes to shimmer that leaves a bad taste in my mouth, not to mention it feels like the effected signal takes over the dry signal, even with the mix knob down. It changes the dry signal too much for my liking. Anyway, too bad the buffers in Line 6 stuff do a hatchet job on the actual guitar tone of I'd be perfectly content with a Verbzilla. I'm hoping the Walrus Audio Descent will do the trick. It'll be my next 'verb.

E_O, I've played both Eternas now. They're both extremely bright. Neither has a tone control. They both came and went from my pedal board for exactly that reason.

OP, I haven't played a shimmer pedal without flaws yet. Oddly, the Verbzilla has been the best actual shimmer effect in my opinion - even over the Strymons (which I do not own anymore, by the way). The Strymons have a weird ramping when it comes to shimmer that leaves a bad taste in my mouth, not to mention it feels like the effected signal takes over the dry signal, even with the mix knob down. It changes the dry signal too much for my liking. Anyway, too bad the buffers in Line 6 stuff do a hatchet job on the actual guitar tone of I'd be perfectly content with a Verbzilla. I'm hoping the Walrus Audio Descent will do the trick. It'll be my next 'verb.

I agree that the Verbzilla does a great shimmer.

I do agree with the comment on Line 6 effects (particularly the DL4, MM4 types) killing tone. Shame to have units that are there to give one a great variety of effects but only to take a bit hit on tone.

I've not played the Strymon, I've only seen various demo videos. So your thoughts on the 'ramping' would be something that one would want to check out.

Is there any shimmer without flaws? Maybe not. But the ones that I have mentioned do a pretty great job. But as usual, season to taste? Let one's own ears and said piece of gear in conjunction w/their own setup and playing style help one choose.

I've seen many ask Tribute Edge's for settings on various rack and pedal gear, only to gripe later that they aren't getting the tone they want or they don't sound like Edge or that tribute Edge.

There IS more to tone than the gear alone. Seems a lesson many don't consider.

As for the Mr. Black Gold Modified Eterna, I think it's pretty good. It doesn't seem to bright to me. I don't play with my amp / guitar tones full up. So that might be why it isn't too bright to me.

With the verbzilla aside, what are people's thoughts on the behringer rv600. An exact clone of the verbzilla but a fraction on the cost.

Back
Top Bottom