Aspiring Edge in the Bedroom - What Next?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ufboy73

The Fly
Hey Guys,

Was hoping to get some advice from you, as many appear quite knowledgeable about Edge's sound, etc.

I am getting back into playing guitar after taking a multi-year break. I had started slowly back (i.e. got a mexican made strat, tiny microcube practice amp, and then added an echo park delay pedal). im just screwing around on my own playing mostly U2 stuff.

At this point, i'd like to take the next step in terms of equipment but not sure what that should be. i could maybe get a new amp or new pedals or an effects unit...just not sure what should come next. I guess i just want to keep on doing what i have been (i.e. having fun at home playing my favorite U2 songs) just wondering what would help me get closer to replicating some of the quintessential sounds edge has.

to give you an example, i know all the notes and things to the intro of WTSHNN, have the delay pedal dialed in...but theres still something missing. obviously, a multi thousand dollar set-up but i guess thats the crux of my question....given what i have now, and in the absence of spending several thousand dollars, what would the next best thing be to get closer to edges sound?

are there any options? thanks a lot!

Tube amp. :up: Doesn't have to be big. 30 watts would do nicely. For a more U2 sound, I'd go for something like a Fender or a Vox.

interesting - i had thought the overwhelming opinion was going to be some sort of effect but the amp makes some amount of sense...since i assume with my little crap microcube no decent sound is really going to be coming out?

in terms of effects, if i wanted to get a little more of the new year's day or sunday bloody sunday sound what would i need? some sort of overdrive or distortion pedal?

also, followup on the amp suggestion. after some really preliminary research it seems that we would be talking along the lines of a vox acc30 (a little over $1000) and similar pricing for a 30w fender? or are there more specific models i should be looking at?

this may be a little more than what i was thinking. would a vox/fender 15w be any sort of useful upgrade for my purposes?

thanks again

I'm not sure of specific Vox or Fender models as I use neither. But for U2 songs like SBS and NYD, you won't need any sort of distortion pedal as you'll get a natural distortion from your amp. If you stick with your smaller amp, an overdrive pedal would be better than distortion in my opinion. Also, Line 6 makes an excellent and verstatile delay pedal called the DL4 that you might check out. I swear by it.

tourist,

thanks.

couple of follow-up questions on the amp idea:

- any thoughts on the amount of improvement i would see going with a 15w amp? would it really not be that much better than what i have now (for example, would you suggest stepping all the way up to 30w or else just keep what i have rather than going in between to 15w).

- also (and im completely uneducated on such things so bear with me) you suggest tube amp. is tube based amp going to provide a distinctly different (and more similar to u2 sound) than these other 'digital' or 'combo' amps that seem to be significantly less pricey than tube versions in the same wattage. are tubes really worth the premium that you seem to have to pay if i want something closer to a u2 sound?

thanks again!

PS if anyone has any input on fender or vox model amps, i would be very appreciative!

tourist,

thanks.

couple of follow-up questions on the amp idea:

- any thoughts on the amount of improvement i would see going with a 15w amp? would it really not be that much better than what i have now (for example, would you suggest stepping all the way up to 30w or else just keep what i have rather than going in between to 15w).

- also (and im completely uneducated on such things so bear with me) you suggest tube amp. is tube based amp going to provide a distinctly different (and more similar to u2 sound) than these other 'digital' or 'combo' amps that seem to be significantly less pricey than tube versions in the same wattage. are tubes really worth the premium that you seem to have to pay if i want something closer to a u2 sound?

thanks again!

PS if anyone has any input on fender or vox model amps, i would be very appreciative!

As for the difference between 15 and 30 watts: if you're ever planning on upgrading again, why not just go for the best to begin with? And also, I've never played through a 15 watt amp. My first amp was 30 and the one I run now is 100.

As for the difference between tube and solidstate/digital--tube has a warmth to the tone which adds a third dimension. I have played through both tube and solidstate. Tube sounds a hundred times better unless you're going for metal.

I can get a decent U2 sound out of my amp, but my amp would probably be way out of your price range (it's called a Rivera M100, but I can only make it truly sound like U2 with the 4x10 cab mixed with the 1x12 of the combo head).

I use a 30W Vox amp, and it's the AD30VT.. It has a setting where you can get the setting of Edge's AC30 Amp :) so I think it's the closest to the real thing!

funny you should say that. after a bit more research im debating between the ad30 or whether it would be worth it to me to get a tube amp. and then if tube whether 15w or 30w.

obviously, it seems that tube is a longer term investment (particularly in 30w) but i am just not sure that, for my purposes, an ad30 wouldnt be good enough to get some good tone and edge sounds at home. in fact, im still not certain how big a difference either the ad30 or tube amp would make compared to my current microcube, tiny practice amp in terms of trying to get more edge like sound.

if i was aspiring to be in a band or something - it would be a no brainer. but just playing for my own kicks at home....i dont know...

I'm in a similar position to you. I was gonna start investing in individual Pedals, I already have a DD-3. But due to space and cost and a young family I'm gonna go with the Digitech RP250, I don't see myself ever playing on stage (but never say never) so a RP250 and 15w or 30w will do me.

That aside, IMHO the next most important pedal after delay is the Boss OD-2. It was the basis for Edge's distortion sound on either the Pop or Zoo TV tours, I read this on another site in the passed week. UTEOTW is basically the Boss OD-2 and delay.

I have a Pocket POD and would at some point like to get a PODX3 Live, even though they're $500. Or at least some other kind of multifeffects pedal like a Digitech or something. I would think that a multieffects pedal would be the way to go for people that don't make their living off of playing music.

Personally, I dislike all effects besides delay, overdrive, reverb, and tremelo. That makes me generally dislike multi-effects boards/pods.

Personally unless you're gonna be jamming or playing live there's just no need for an AC30. If like me, you'll mostly be jamming at home, occasionally record and put on youtube.com then spending £500 (900USD) on an amp is not an option, unless you have the money of course. Oh and an AC30 would be waaaay too loud for home use, you'd never get it passed 2.

I think for home uses, and with a relatively limited budget a Vox AD30 or 50 (set to AC30) with a multi-effects box (one of: Boss GT-8, GT-10, DigiTech RP20, RP250 or RP350, Vox ToneLab) will get you pretty close. (Individual pedals is another option)

I've come accross a U2 tribute band (here in Ireland) using the Boss GT-8 and his Edge sound is brilliant. Also, look on youtube and see what other ppl are using to get the Edge sound. Look for Sherm911 playing UTEOTW, he uses a GT-8 I think. Stunning!!!

For what it’s worth, I’ve just bought a DigiTech RP250 multi-effects pedal. I’ve spent the weekend playing with it and I already have the sound for Streets, City of Blinding Lights, Vertigo, Bullet, EBTTRT (thou this needs to be fine tuned) lovely use of Whammy at the start and I’ve also downloaded a patch for The Fly, and Pride is already pre-programmed into it. The pedal can be assigned one function per patch, turning on/off any effect/distortion/delay, or used for Whammy or volume effects. You can swap and download patch files from other RP250/350 users. It also has a drum machine (great for jamming to) and two outputs, one for your amp and the second go to your PC for recording or if gigging the house sound system.
It’s also got amp modeling so you can select Edge’s AC30, though I seem to get a lovely clean sound from the Fender 2x12 Reverb amp model, all-in-all I’d highly recommend….

Back
Top Bottom