And yet MORE new Warwick bass guitars for Adam!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Edge_Orchestra

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Warwick bass guitars are manufactured in Germany. Looks like Adam took delivery of some new toys!

Check the bass that Adam is playing during Sunday Bloody Sunday. It is gold sparkle, like the Fender Precision and the Fender Jazz bass that he's been using (the Jazz first appearing at the We Are One show in DC before the album came out)... but I digress.

If you look closely you will see that the bass in the Brandenburg version of Sunday Bloody Sunday, while gold sparkle, is neither the Precision or Jazz. Looks to be similar to the Warwick Streamer - Adam used a dark brown Streamer for live performances of "Electrical Storm" on the Euro leg of the tour.

Possible it is a different model. Judging from the body style and headstock... that there ain't no Fender Precision or Jazz bass - and looks to be a Warwick of some model... (More information as I find it)

7e7edee4-1.jpg

SBS from Brandenburg Gates-

YouTube - U2 & Jay-Z Sunday Bloody Sunday Berlin, Brandenburg Gate 2009-11-05

Also, the Stryker bass used at Brandenburg is different.
The one used most of the tour has 2 split pickups. Looks like 4 little black rectangles to the non-musician folks.

3925296311_8beec8699a_o.jpg

6576_106432429726_36280349726_20532.jpg

The one used at Brandenburg? 1 split pickups.Looks like 2 little black rectangles to the non-musician folks.

4083413943_96fe69d1d6_o.jpg

Stryker-200x-1splitpickup-natura-2.jpg

I figured it was the streamer with a new finish. :) The body looks quite exactly like it, with the diamond knob pattern.

:giggle: Adam really has a thing for shiny basses lately eh? First the Jazz, then the Precision, now this one.

I didn't even notice the difference in elements on the Stryker! You've sharp eyes my friend!

Sharp eyes? Lots of pictures? But more than either of those... just a bit of a U2 and U2 gear nerd.

I figured it was the streamer with a new finish. :) The body looks quite exactly like it, with the diamond knob pattern.

:giggle: Adam really has a thing for shiny basses lately eh? First the Jazz, then the Precision, now this one.

I didn't even notice the difference in elements on the Stryker! You've sharp eyes my friend!

Thanks for the info on that sparkle bass. I had a disagreement with my friend over this bass, and it turned out into a fight :angry: Neither one of us was right. I was sure it is some kind of Fender, and he claimed it is not a Fender. I guess I deserved to get my ass kicked since he was "RIGHTer" than me :doh:

Judging by the pricelist... even the regular (not a signature) Warwick like the one's he's using are $5K to $9K !

Pricey but nice.

Of the WARWICK bass guitars that Adam Clayton is using... the is the possibility that the Streamer Stage I (gold sparkle) might be the one they want him to choose as a "Signature" model. That is all good and fine. Signature models are usually a bit more expensive and would make take the price from those listed below to even more - which might make it a bit out of reach for most U2 fans - pricewise. Here's the stock prices for some of the Warwick bass guitars that Adam has... Keep in mind some of what he already is using from Warwick has had some customization.

(ie: His upside down Stryker basses - the upside down in not a production model but would be a cool 'Signature' model.)

Streamer Stage I (dark brown one used for Electrical Storm. Looks like the gold sparkle bass at Brandenburg is a Streamer Stage I)

1264020000GDFMTFWW Streamer Stage I 4 str., oil finish $5.000.00

1264020100GDFMTFWW Streamer Stage I 4 str., oil finish color $5.000.00

1264021100GDFMTFWW Streamer Stage I 4 str., high polish $5.700.00

1264025100GDFMTFWW Streamer Stage I 4 str., sunburst high polish $5.700.00

Dolphin Pro I (Artist Rep mentioned sending one to him)

1234050010GZOVAOWW Dolphin Pro I 4 str., oil finish $6.700.00

Buzzard Bass JE Signature (Seen in U2.com footage during NLOTH sessions)

1454070010GZZEBOWW Buzzard "JE" Signature 4 str., oil finish $8.700.00

1454070110GZZEBOWW Buzzard "JE" Signature 4 str., oil finish color $8.700.00

1454071110GZZEBOWW Buzzard "JE" Signature 4 str., high polish $9.000.00

1454075110GZZEBOWW Buzzard "JE" Signature 4 str., sunburst high polish $9.000.00

The Stryker NT (Used during U2:360 tour. Adams is a custom job with the body upside down. An actual Stryker looks more like an Explorer)

1284070014GDMQTFWW Stryker 4 str., oil finish $7.400.00

1284070114GDMQTFWW Stryker 4 str., oil finish color $7.400.00

1284071114GDMQTFWW Stryker 4 str., high polish $7.900.00

1284075114GDMQTFWW Stryker 4 str., sunburst high polish $7.900.00

No ass kicking needed. Even though I am a nerd and study this kind of stuff, I have found that a bit of restraint and using words like "It Appears To Be" can serve one well.

Sometimes a picture doens't tell the whole storyl. Sometimes items might appear to be one thing but they are another that has been altered/customized.... and sometimes Gibson takes a fairly famous Les Paul Custom that's been auctioned and COPY it! (I don't feel as bad about being wrong on that one as they fooled The Edge and Dallas too!)

So buy your friend a coffee, tell them 'good catch' and all should be better? :up:

Thanks for the info on that sparkle bass. I had a disagreement with my friend over this bass, and it turned out into a fight :angry: Neither one of us was right. I was sure it is some kind of Fender, and he claimed it is not a Fender. I guess I deserved to get my ass kicked since he was "RIGHTer" than me :doh:

Update in the new gold sparkle Warwick bass that Adam began using at the Brandenburg Gate show.

Per a rep at Warwick:

"It is actually a custom Streamer $$, with maple fb wood, black block inlays, maple neck, swamp ash body, custom wired Seymour Duncan pickups, full passive electronics, but with a custom wiring.

And a nice special GoldFlake finish :)"

There you have it. And perhaps this will be the Adam Clayton signature bass? Time will tell.

Oh man, that'd be awesome. But so impossibly expensive! :sad:

I'd love it if they'd make a simpler, cheaper fan edition that Adam fans could actually afford. I don't think I could afford a bass that expensive!

I agree that it would be great to have it the bass be affordable. But if they use cheaper wood and electronics to so so... hardly worth the effort if even Adam wouldn't play it.

The "good news" is that the Streamer $$ series is a bit cheaper, logging in at around $2,700 to $3,200. (Cheaper than the Streamer Stage I) But one should keep in mind that Adam's has a custom finish and some other custom touches... so it is hardly the stock version.

Add to that the gold sparkle being a "signature model"... Chances are it will be out of the price range for most.

This from the Warwick pricelist:
1214380000GZASHAWW Streamer $$ 4 str., oil finish $2,700.00
1214380100GZASHAWW Streamer $$ 4 str., oil finish color $2,700.00
1214381100GZASHAWW Streamer $$ 4 str., high polish $3,.200.00
1214385100GZASHAWW Streamer $$ 4 str., sunburst high polish $3,200.00

Oh man, that'd be awesome. But so impossibly expensive! :sad:

I'd love it if they'd make a simpler, cheaper fan edition that Adam fans could actually afford. I don't think I could afford a bass that expensive!

:lol: There's NO way I'd be able to afford a 2k bass. Maybe 500-1000 max.

:reject: But I wouldn't pay that much for the streamer, I don't really like that one. Now if it were the buzzard or inverse Stryker? :drool: Oh I would save up for that!

I can agree there... the Buzzard is pretty interesting the Stryker... well... it is simlply striking!

Wonder what it would cost to get Warwick to make an inverted Stryker... or IF they would... it might be like the Line 6 DM4 Pro*... Custom and only for U2 personnel.

* While the DM4 pedal is widely available the rack version was custom-made for The Edge and isn't available to anyone else.

Line_6-DM4_Pro-1.jpg

:lol: There's NO way I'd be able to afford a 2k bass. Maybe 500-1000 max.

:reject: But I wouldn't pay that much for the streamer, I don't really like that one. Now if it were the buzzard or inverse Stryker? :drool: Oh I would save up for that!

Nope. That there was custom made for The Edge. Unless there has been a change in the contract, it was not to be sold to anyone but The Edge.

Might you be thinking of the DL4 Pro Delay modeler?

Although, if memory serves, most if not all of the Line 6 rackmount stuff is no longer made... as far as the MM4 Pro (modulation), DL4 Pro (Delay) and FL4 Pro (Fileter) models go.

Perhaps one of the lads from Line 6 could confirm? (Jason)

Don't mean to hijack a thread here, but the rack-mountable version of the DM4 is available right? I think I read somewhere that it was.:hmm:

Yes, I have read that article.

Edge and Dallas obtained a few Line 6 DM4's. As Edge and Dallas began progamming soungs into then one by one... Hence the bit about him buying (11) DM4's.

DM4 is a stompbox. (like the one in the pic below)
Line_6-DM4-U2.jpg

DM4 Pro is a rack unit. (like the one in the pic below)
dm4_pro.jpg

The DM4 pedal is not MIDI capable. They also can only hold 4 pre-sets. Needless to say, both provide problems when pre-programming tones for a tour.

Dallas contacted Line 6 to have them make a MIDI capable rack version of the DM4. Line 6 answered with the DM4 Pro. (Pro, is the moniker Line 6 gave all of their rack unit effects modules)

Line 6 followed through with the request and developed the DM4 Pro for The Edge. It was an exclusive deal between Edge, Dallas and Line 6. In that Line 6 would not market / sell to others.

The 'quote' you posted stated: "The same great tone the Edge has in his one-of-a-kind rack unit is available to you too".

That statement is only partially true but it is also what might have mislead you into thinking that the rack version was available.

While one can buy the pedal but not the rack version is not available and was exclusively made for The Edge.

Hmmm...I found this at Line6's website a while back and saved it (AWESOME!:lol:) and it says .:scratch:

Here's the whole thing: Line 6 :: News

It talks about Edge buying 11 DM4's :)shocked:). I'm sure you've read this Edge_Orchestra.

Yes, I have read that article.

There is a difference between a DM4 and DM4 PRO. (read on)

Here's the deal. Edge and Dallas obtained a few Line 6 DM4's. As Edge programed sounds into his, he stored them and then began storing sounds in another unit, and then another... and another. Hence the bit about him buying (11) DM4's.

DM4 is a stompbox. (like the one in the pic below)
Line_6-DM4-U2.jpg

DM4 Pro is a rack unit. (like the one in the pic below)
dm4_pro.jpg

That said, the pedals are not MIDI capable. They also can only hold 4 pre-sets. Needless to say, both provide problems when pre-programming tones for a tour.

Dallas contacted Line 6 to have them make a MIDI capable rack version of the DM4 (one that could be controlled by his Skrydstrup foot controllers) and Line 6 answered with the DM4 Pro. (Pro, is the moniker Line 6 gave all of their rack unit effects modules)

Line 6 developed the unit. It was a deal between Edge, Dallas and Line 6. In that Line 6 would not market / sell to others.

DM4 Pro (rack unit) is more versatile than the DM4 (pedal). It is more programmable than the DM4 (pedal). There may be other 'secrets' to the DM4 Pro that 'confidentiality agreements' between Line 6 and U2 have not discussed.

The 'quote' you posted stated: "The same great tone the Edge has in his one-of-a-kind rack unit is available to you too".

That statement is only partially true and certainly misleading. And is why you might think that a rack version was available, when it isn't.

While one can buy the pedal but not the rack version is not available and was exclusively made for The Edge.

Oh, ok. Thanks for clearing that up. It was very misleading cause I looked and couldn't see anything about one. It would be cool if they did one because I'm one who is always finding new sounds and like to save them. With the DM4 Pedal you can't. I didn't intend for you to through that much information :lol: but thanks a lot!:up:

I think there are two issues. One, Line 6 made a deal with Edge and Dallas.

But the other is that they DID make PRO (rack) models of their MM4 (modulation modeler), FL4 (filter modeler) and DL4 (delay modeler) but they sold poorly. Last I heard, they are out of production.

So with that track record, it doesn't make sense to try offering a DM4 - if they didn't have the agreement with Edge.

Oh, ok. Thanks for clearing that up. It was very misleading cause I looked and couldn't see anything about one. It would be cool if they did one because I'm one who is always finding new sounds and like to save them. With the DM4 Pedal you can't. I didn't intend for you to through that much information :lol: but thanks a lot!:up:

I agree that it would be great to have it the bass be affordable. But if they use cheaper wood and electronics to so so... hardly worth the effort if even Adam wouldn't play it.

The "good news" is that the Streamer $$ series is a bit cheaper, logging in at around $2,700 to $3,200. (Cheaper than the Streamer Stage I) But one should keep in mind that Adam's has a custom finish and some other custom touches... so it is hardly the stock version.

Add to that the gold sparkle being a "signature model"... Chances are it will be out of the price range for most.

This from the Warwick pricelist:
1214380000GZASHAWW Streamer $$ 4 str., oil finish $2,700.00
1214380100GZASHAWW Streamer $$ 4 str., oil finish color $2,700.00
1214381100GZASHAWW Streamer $$ 4 str., high polish $3,.200.00
1214385100GZASHAWW Streamer $$ 4 str., sunburst high polish $3,200.00

If this is from Warwick's pricelist, then we can assume that the actual street price will be about 2/3 of the list price. And while I'd rather have a Stryker, that would put the Streamer into a relatively do-able range (for me at least)--I'd just have to save, sell my Taylor acoustic, dress the kids in hand-me-downs, and not tell the wife.:shifty:

BTW, where did the Warwick Signature rumor come from? I forget.

If this is from Warwick's pricelist, then we can assume that the actual street price will be about 2/3 of the list price. And while I'd rather have a Stryker, that would put the Streamer into a relatively do-able range (for me at least)--I'd just have to save, sell my Taylor acoustic, dress the kids in hand-me-downs, and not tell the wife.:shifty:

BTW, where did the Warwick Signature rumor come from? I forget.

The statement about a signature bass for Adam came from Dallas, by way of a U2 Rec Yahoo Group mamber that spoke with him in Berlin on the 5th. Pretty reliable guy - I don't think he'd have made up that Dallas said that.

Ok, now I remember seeing it on the Yahoo group, I'd just forgotten where it came from. It supports my theory that the reason we're seeing him using so many Warwicks is that he's figuring out what he wants on a signature bass, particularly since he hasn't been known as a big Warwick user in the past. Looks like Fender and Lakland missed the boat.

Lkland seems to have missed the boat. He hasn't used one live since... Fordham Univ promo show.

Fender's are still getting some play.... gold sparkel Jazz and P-bass, as well as the purple P-bass.

Seems he's set the white Triumph LP Recording bass aside... had been using it for "One" in Europe...

I like that the Rivoli and Gibson RD Artist are both getting used.

Variety IS the spice of life. IF they do make a signature bass, I still hope Adam uses the variety he has this tour

Ok, now I remember seeing it on the Yahoo group, I'd just forgotten where it came from. It supports my theory that the reason we're seeing him using so many Warwicks is that he's figuring out what he wants on a signature bass, particularly since he hasn't been known as a big Warwick user in the past. Looks like Fender and Lakland missed the boat.

Lkland seems to have missed the boat. He hasn't used one live since... Fordham Univ promo show.

Fender's are still getting some play.... gold sparkel Jazz and P-bass, as well as the purple P-bass.

Yeah, I meant they should have offered to do an Adam signature bass, a Fender P bass would have made sense, since he's used one so often for so long, and I know there are more than a few on this forum who would have loved a purple sparkle Adam Clayton signature bass. :drool:

Maybe Fender could do a replica tribute of his old P-bass that he used up until recently-the one that once bore a House of Pain sticker and may have been lost in the flood.

Adam signature bass ?

Yeah, I meant they should have offered to do an Adam signature bass, a Fender P bass would have made sense, since he's used one so often for so long, and I know there are more than a few on this forum who would have loved a purple sparkle Adam Clayton signature bass. :drool:

Maybe Fender could do a replica tribute of his old P-bass that he used up until recently-the one that once bore a House of Pain sticker and may have been lost in the flood.

Lakland seems to have dropped the ball. If you go to the Lakland site, you will see that they 'Darryl Jones' model, that Adam had been using, is no longer available. From what I've heard, there has been some changes at the company... that might be why Darryl Jones didnt' resign an agreement with them and why Adam opted to look elsewhere.

That said, I think a replica of Adam's 197/1973 Precision would be great; as it's a bass he's used for much of U2's career.

(Why did I say 1972/1973, not 100% sure which it is as I've heard/read Adam refer to it by 1972 in some interviews and 1973 in others)

Or they could simply call it an Adam Clayton Precision bass. They could make it available in (3) finishes: gold flake sparkle, lilac/purple flake sparkle and the third could be 'aged' vintage Adam (ages tobacco with "House of Pain" sticker; an exact replica of Adam's.

But alas, it appears that Fender has no interest in making an Adam Clayton model.

So perhaps it will be down to Warwick to do so. A Stryker would be great but pricey. Any Warwick would probably be fairly pricey but the Stryker would for sure...

Time will tell. Maybe he will go for the gold flake sparkle Warwick Streamer.

So perhaps it will be down to Warwick to do so. A Stryker would be great but pricey. Any Warwick would probably be fairly pricey but the Stryker would for sure...

Time will tell. Maybe he will go for the gold flake sparkle Warwick Streamer.

Don't get me wrong. I'm happy to see any member of U2 get a signature instrument (even knowing Bono has a signature Gretsch is pretty cool), but you're absolutely right, taking the Geddy Lee J-bass and the Sting P-bass as price markers, a Fender signature bass would have been much more affordable for us regular folk. Still, I can't wait to see what Warwick does and I'll try to find a (legal :shifty: ) way of getting it.

Back
Top Bottom