And another one for the singers here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
You know how often in the videos you see bands in "studio" shots, with headphones, singing?

Well, I'm curious - how is it possible to sing in tune with headphones on (or, for example, when bands use earphones on tour?)? I tried once, but it was just...bad :D I had no feeling how I was singing, or if I was even remotely close to singing in tune.

i would assume that the headphone volumes aren't up so high that they can't hear themselves...

The headphones have a mix of anything the singer wants to hear - including their own voice - so in essence they hear themselves BETTER with the headphones on.

Cheers,

Brady

Hi U2Girl -

That is correct - the headphones, and here is the key - if mixed properly - can aid the singer in hearing both what it is he/she is singing to, and how they are singing. Key being, if it is done properly - a poor mix through nice monitors can throw off even the best of singers. There are factors involved like where the voice is placed in the mix, and also if the vocalist's desired effects treatments are being applied before being sent to the headphones (ie if the singer enjoys hearing their voice treated with a bit of delay or reverb, they are probably not going to like to sing with headphones that are broadcasting their voice completely untreated).

In terms of live shows, especially for larger venues and if your a singer that likes to wander off the stage or out of range of the stage monitors, like Bono, in-ear monitors are almost a must to keep you on track with where the band is, and with how well/poorly you are singing.

All that said it can take a bit of getting used to...the first time can be rather disconcerting if youre not used to hearing yourself up so close right 'in your head'...lol..

Cheers

G

Back
Top Bottom