amp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phillyfan26

Blue Crack Supplier
I'm going to play backup guitar for a band. What kind of amp should I get that's cheap but of good quality (my guitar will probably be a Squier Strat).

It really depends on how much you are into it.

For instance I have played in professional tribute bands and I gig alot with my band the venkman heist.

We play venues supporting signed artists etc. Because of this I have what I would call Semi/professional gear. Valve amps, decent pedal board, guitars <i have four including a proper Stratocaster <not a squire>

Its alot more expensive but I notice the difference and so do most people. Its also neccesary if your gonna be playing in front of paying people etc.

Check us out to see what my guitar sounds like were on myspace.

However if you are just gonna jam with friends etc its fine to have cheaper equipment. If thats the case your squire will be fine.
With regards to an Amp. Go for what is known as a "Solid state" amp. this is an amp wich does not have Valves. Valves are expensive and can be temperamental.
Their benifit is they heat up and create a "Warm" sound and basically any band you listen to use valve amps. However There are alot of decent solid state amps and they are normally half the price. The clean tone on solid states are usually just as nice as valve.

You could go for a modelling amp like the Vox Ad 50 VT. Which gives you different sounds without costing an arm and a leg. But if your desire is to play in a band with a pro sound, getting a top end valve amp can never be wrong.

I was lucky that when I first started playing guitar my father bought me a Fender twin reverb. It's been the bane of my existence going to and from places because it weighs a ton but soundwise it's a friggin' monster! Not one of my guitars has outlasted my twin reverb. When I die they must bury it with me!

Well It really does matter of what style you play...

Like as I like to call U2 as a soft rock and roll, I'd use a Vox..

Rock and Roll- Marshall, hands down the best RnR amp out there.. Crates are my 2nd favorite..

Or something with a treble sounding (something sort of like the Rolling Stones- I'd use a Fender amp...

There are many great amps out there and I think is that you should go to one of those massive instument stores (something like the Guitar Center) because they have HUGE selections to choose from and you can play and try out all their amps if you like and choose the amp you like the most...

I'm not sure whether we will jam or actually try to start something with playing in front of people, but I have a limited budget, and it's only backup.

The Valvetronix stuff is the best midpriced amp you can get... I play through an AC30 stack, but that's definitely not a...beginner setup.

The Marshall solid state series isn't bad, the 15 and 30 watt models are class, and come with a fair amount of onboard effects.

I picked up a Fender Hotrod Deluxe from my cousin and I'm loving it. It has lots of headroom and is very loud too. You can usually get them for $350 used. It's all tube and the sound is great ... highly recommended.:wink:

Turns out our guitarist has an extra amp that I will use, but thanks for the input and when I actually get one I'll use this to help.

Back
Top Bottom