All those synth sounds...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ejfan007

Babyface
Who takes care of all the synth/string sounds used in U2's concerts? I hear string lines, epianos, and of course the famous intro to Streets but I see no synth player whatsoever taking care of these parts. Are they pre-recorded and Edge just triggers them with his guitar? I've always wanted to know.

Some is sequenced and triggered by Edge. Stuff like Streets.

On the last tour there was a keyboard player under the stage.

Some of the "synth" that you hear is actually a guitar producing an effect called shimmer. You have it on stuff like With or Without You, All I Want is You, Bullet, Zoo TV version of Running to Stand Still just to name a few

the keyboard player, and sequencer under the stage is Terry Lawless. He has toured with U2 for the past few tours. You could see him on the stage with U2 this tour during Original Of The Species, and in the background of the same on Conan O'Brein. Edge DOES control alot of the starting and stopping of the loops/sequences as seen on his floor rig (seee overhead shot in the start of COBL on the Chicago dvd), but Terry Lawless plays a significant amount under the stage.

LOL at Terry being stuck behind a stack of amps during the Conan show. Just noticed that :wink:

poor guy. i suppose he makes a mint though so he probably doesn't give a crap :wink:

Back
Top Bottom