Advice On Pedals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DignityPassesBy

Refugee
Hey guys, i'm just starting a band now and want some help choosing pedals and such. I don't really like multi-effect pedals they're too fussy and waste to much time to set and i prefer the sound quality on stomp box pedals. What i have so far is a Boss DD3 delay, Boss Flanger and Boss Chorus Pedals. I need to know what type of whammy/wah pedal is best as i don't really like the cry baby wahs alot but every music shop around here only really stocks them lol and if what distortion you would choose i have played an Ibanez TS9 and a Big Muff and they both sound pretty good but any other suggestions would be great

Thanks

well whammy and wah are 2 totally different things. . . Digitech makes the most famous whammy, but that's gonna cost a little bit. i'm not a big wah fiend but Dunlop makes good stuff in that area. as for distortion i have a boss sd-1 and it's not bad (though an equalizer helps alot). as for multi-effects pedals -- if you use alot of delay then they're really not bad ideas. it's really useful to have different delay times set into a multi-effects pedal, so you can just switch patches for different songs. i'm not sure if the dd-3 has tap tempo delay but i know the dd-5 does with that external control button.

There is a pedal that can do Whammy and wah patches that Digitech makes called the EX-7 expression factory, which by the way has a patch that mimics the synth swell on the Digitech Space Station. Which will give you a poor-man's shimmer option. I'm not sure the sound quality of this unit but it's got alot in a small box. For starting off it sounds good. But I've never played this pedal. But none the less interesting to investigate.

Here's a link: http://www.digitech.com/products/EX7/

If your looking into Delay check out the Line 6 DL-4. I love mine. It's got alot of useful options especially for Edge-like tones. It has stereo delay and and the Electro-Harmonix Deluxe Memoryman models on there. The DL-4 does lack the original warmth compared to the original memoryman. But for 3 presets and tap tempo it gets close. I highly recommend this delay. The only thing to consider is I've heard on some units they're prone to breakdown. I can't really comment on mine as I've only had it 3 months but so far so good.

Thanks for you help guys ... the dd3 does have the tap delay feature i use it more than normal delay. The digitech expression pedal sounds like its pretty good i might have to try and find one to have a good go on. I'll tell you what its like after i do

DignityPassesBy said:
Hey guys, i'm just starting a band now and want some help choosing pedals and such. I don't really like multi-effect pedals they're too fussy and waste to much time to set and i prefer the sound quality on stomp box pedals. What i have so far is a Boss DD3 delay, Boss Flanger and Boss Chorus Pedals. I need to know what type of whammy/wah pedal is best as i don't really like the cry baby wahs alot but every music shop around here only really stocks them lol and if what distortion you would choose i have played an Ibanez TS9 and a Big Muff and they both sound pretty good but any other suggestions would be great

Thanks

If your looking for a versitile set up I'd go with a Line 6 DM distortion Modeler. You end up getting a pedal that can have 4 preset sounds with several options.

For Delay, the dd-3 is not bad, but if you are looking for an Edge-ish sound go with DD-20 gigdelay. It has more presets, better tap tempo options and a superior modulated delay compare to the Line 6 pedal.

I guess a big question would be what kind of music are you playing?

+1 on the DD-20.:up:

I think you can set the exact delay time with that unit which is good for U2 songs. Plus it has a Sound-On Sound mode and a manual mode too.

we're not trying to be a U2 band or imitate them in anyway. No offence to anybody who loves their sound i do i think they're amazing but we're not U2 and we're not trying to be we want our own sound which we think is important. I'm going to check out all the pedals you've mentioned through the week i've found a couple of places that have the different ones mentions. Thanks for all you're help though you've been great

It´s not always a question of copying U2. But getting the most versatile pedal that can recreate the delay sounds of Edge gives you basically a delay pedal that is useful for ANY band.

Back
Top Bottom