Adams Tone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hornbag

The Fly
WHile we all know that Edge's constant tone changing for nearly every song is one of the core elements of the music, Adams tone remains constant, only varying slightly from tour to tour. I'm very curious about the Vertigo Tour tone though, seems to be very different from the Elevation era. It's weird, he can use a plectrum at bridge pickup and have it not sound like crap, with plenty of bottom end.
I asked one of my friends who played bass and he said he pobably has a load of treble and mid, but when you do this, you get a crummy sound when you try to alternate pick at the bridge. He even said he might have a hint of distortion. I'm so confused, I thought if he had any effect on, it would be chorus or something. I have a Behringer 1200 bass combo and a Boss ME-50B. Anyone got any tips for trying to emulate Adam's tone?

i read in Bass player mag. that Adam has been using a crunchier tone on this album/tour -- higher mids, lower treble and bass. he has maple fretboards on all of his touring guitars, another big part of his tone.

i recently watched live 8, in particular, sgt pepper, there was a good shot of his pre amp which was set at: treb 6, mid 8, bass 7 i think. you could try that. his fender jazz contributes a lot to his crunchy tone as well

Having a new set of strings on your bass for every show doesn't do any harm either.

you think he really has the strings changed before each show?? i mean of course he could but that sounds like a bit much. . .

but then again U2 has always been ridiculous anyways :lol:

I've not looked into it but I'd be surprised if he didn't have his strings changed after every show, it's pretty much standard at that level of performance.

Back
Top Bottom