Adam's Popmart Bass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Simple answer is no. It's custom made for Adam only. You could try to make one yourself, or have it made, but it's not for sale.

The answer is sort of yes but... no. (Unless you have more money than God)

It was originally made for Adam but the A. Clayton Custom was listed on the Auerswald site for ages. So in theory, at one point, one could have one made. But... That doens't seem to be the case any longer. I do not see it listed on the Auerswald site presently. But the site does say it's being redesigned.

Perhaps, it can be special ordered? But once again, not being the average production model bass that one could pickup at the Sam Ash or Guitar Center... it wouldn't be cheap.

Auerswald made the A.Clayton Custom for Adam. I remember hearing various prices mentioned in the past. I think the were over $10,000 (USD)

08e2eeb4.jpg

From Bassics: Volume VII - Issue 1
Exactly what is this golden horseshoe-shaped axe?

auerswald.jpg

After discussing Adam's technical needs, the bass was built in Germany by Auerswald Instruments, a result of the teamwork between Jerry Auerswald and Adam Clayton's bass tech, Stuart Morgan. Based around a Flying V shape, Clayton wanted a "Spacey, Flash Gordon" styled instrument but with improved balance over a Flying V. Crafted from 100+ year-old slab of cherrywood, it's set up similar to a P-J with the split P pickup mounted conversely, i.e. the could under the E and A strings is closest to the bridge.

Auerswald-A_Clayton_Cst-4.jpg

Auerswald created cherrywood covers for the pickups to blend with the curves of the body, which is finished with an amazing yellow "angel dust" iridescent effect that utilizes metal and mother-of-pearl flakes blended with clear coats to create a multi-dimensional look. Jerry explains it this way: "For me, it was to have a very shiny and freindly yellow, and [close up], it's deep looking." Since the body is painted, you can' see the wood, but you sure can hear it. The curly-maple neck is shaped similar to a Precision but has a short scale of 80 cm (30 1/2 inches), so a lot of tweaking was done to deal with the inherent mids of a short scale. The bridge is an Auerswald patent and is fully adjustable for string height, spacing and intonation.

auerswald2.jpg

To my understanding there were 3 of these made for Adam, (1) fretless & (2) fretted.

I am not sure if they were destroyed in the flood. But other than the fretless showing up in the Hall of Fame in 2003, I haven't seen any of them in pictures, shows, etc.

Back
Top Bottom