Adam's bass sound

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpaceBoy

War Child
How does Adam achieve that crunchy, kind of grinding sound he really flaunted on HTDAAB? Vertigo is a prime example, another good exemple is the Chris Thomas version of All Because Of You.

Egh...well, are there any suggestions as to how to produce a similar sound, at least?

change your hair. sorry dude, i guess there's just a lot more talk about Edge's effects and rig compared to Adam. When us girls see Adam, we think of other things... not his bass sound...:drool: :wink:

i_love_adam said:
change your hair. sorry dude, i guess there's just a lot more talk about Edge's effects and rig compared to Adam. When us girls see Adam, we think of other things... not his bass sound...:drool: :wink:

Hehe well, not all us girls. ;)

++++++++++

I've actually been inspired to try playing bass but no $$ for the proper equipment.

I dunno, seems to me, IMO, Lillywhite really brings up the bass more, I mean some songs on "ATYCLB" I have to really listen to for the bass.

Guess it's one of those questions you'd have to speak to the man himself.

He plays Jazz style basses with Ashdown amplifiers, don't know if that's part of it, or it's something he does while playing.

i_love_adam said:

agreed!!! I do try to concentrate on his bass 10% of the time. For instance
I really do like the bass sound in Fast Cars. You can really hear it well next to Edge's acoustic. They really made it work. It sounds so Latin to me.:drool: :drool:

SpaceBoy said:
How does Adam achieve that crunchy, kind of grinding sound he really flaunted on HTDAAB? Vertigo is a prime example, another good exemple is the Chris Thomas version of All Because Of You.

It's mostly in his playing style and equipment. He uses jazz basses alot which are brighter than a p-bass. Also you'll notice he uses picks on some songs which also change the sound due to he increased attack on the string.

You can very easily make the same note sound totally different by changing the tone on the bass and gain/treble/mid/bass on the amp and using picks or your fingers differently.

Of course you can use some effects but I don't think Adam uses any pedals or effects on this album like he did on Pop or Zoo.

YES! Fast cars bass was is very sensual! 50% because you can imagine Adam playing the part! and 50% beacuse ADAM COMPOSED THE PART! I think U2 is heading in that direction. In the Latin-Mexican groove sounds for the new album! Goooood!

ummm....to answer the original question they miked an ashdown cabinet.

Back
Top Bottom