Adam 5-String Bass? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Even Better Than The Real Thing ??
Click Here to Login

Old 11-17-2008, 06:58 PM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 06:25 AM
Adam 5-String Bass?

anyone know if Adam has ever used a 5-String bass?

which era? which tour? which songs?

marik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 07:04 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:25 AM
I am 99% sure he has never used a 5 string bass. Being a bass player myself, I know what a 5 string sounds like, and I've never heard any recorded evidence of one. I've also never seen him play one live, and I've seen video footage of U2 playing pretty much every song live.

The_acrobat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 07:29 PM   #3
New Yorker

Theres a 5 string bass in the edge put it down video, its in the studio..at least.
Gonna Run 2 U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 02:52 AM   #4
Galeonbroad

Local Time: 07:25 AM
I've never seen him use one.. Don't think I know of any U2 song that uses the low B string
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 01:31 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

He might own one (Or Edge might) but I've not seen him use a 5-string during any television, video or live performances.
Edge_Orchestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 02:21 PM   #6
The Fly

I thought adam used one on the outro bassline of WOWY.... at least the studio version. He plays a different one live.
StaySafeTonight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 02:52 PM   #7
Galeonbroad

The outro bassline??

What outro bassline does WOWY have? In the studio it is only one riff that never changes.. might shift up an octave but doesn't change...
D A B G
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Old 11-23-2008, 03:24 PM   #8
The Fly

he has a D not he hits that I can't get to on my bassist's 4 string without tuning down the E to drop D...
let see... about... 4:20 into the song there is that one really low note you can't hit on a normal bass. Maybe it's not a 5 string, and he just tuned a normal one down. But that low D is there.
StaySafeTonight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 05:37 PM   #9
Babyface

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaySafeTonight View Post
he has a D not he hits that I can't get to on my bassist's 4 string without tuning down the E to drop D...
let see... about... 4:20 into the song there is that one really low note you can't hit on a normal bass. Maybe it's not a 5 string, and he just tuned a normal one down. But that low D is there.
I feel so ashamed, I never noticed it, but when I'm playing (just for the soul), it's usually to a live recording so there's
not that note there and the notes are D-A-B-G.
It is something strange definetly not the note that was supposed to be played. On the other hand the bass
line goes through some volume alteration throughout the song.

I don't think I've seen Adam with a 5string, when there's a need for lower there's usually another bass guitar
for it. Besides Adam is to cool for a 5stringer.
Anian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 01:23 AM   #10
Ghost of Love

Local Time: 12:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaySafeTonight View Post
Sure thats not the midi bass from the Moog Taurus pedal? I think it is. And it starts earlier than 4:20..

"4:20"
gvox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 06:38 AM   #11
Galeonbroad

I still haven't noticed this.

And yes Gabe, go smoke you 4:20er.
Old 12-20-2008, 05:53 PM   #12
The Fly

Yes the low Ds are quite clearly Moog Taurus bass pedals, there's no detuning the E string to low D going on... I haven't listened to check this recently but I seem to recall that the JT album outro features both bass guitar and bass pedals simultaneously, the latter an octave below the former.
gragravar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 10:23 AM   #13
Ghost of Love

Local Time: 12:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gragravar View Post
Yes the low Ds are quite clearly Moog Taurus bass pedals, there's no detuning the E string to low D going on... I haven't listened to check this recently but I seem to recall that the JT album outro features both bass guitar and bass pedals simultaneously, the latter an octave below the former.
It's from the first falsetto Bono hits. That tone is definitely an octave or so below what a bass guitar can output

You can see him hitting them on R&H footage too. and on Bad and I think Streets too...
gvox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:07 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I stand corrected... seems Adam HAS used a 5-string bass; in the studio at least.

I was looking through "U2 & i" (by: Anton Corbijn) and I came across a picture of Adam and Larry from the "Passengers: Original Soundstracks 1" sessions.

Looks like he is playing an Ernie Ball Music Man "Stingray 5":
http://www.music-man.com/instruments...tingray-5.html

Those sessions happened after he'd spent a good deal of 1994 taking bass lessons in NY, with Patrick Pfeiffer - the author of "Bass guitar for dummies". (True story)

More on the book here:
Bass Guitar For Dummies:Book Information - For Dummies

I've not seen any pictures of him using one live nor have I seen it at any shows that I've attended. And judging by studio footage, from the Popmart webcams to present, it doesn't appear that he's used it much, if at all in the studio since the Passengers project.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:08 PM   #15
Galeonbroad

Wow I have never seen that before! Interesting!

Do you know if that book's any good? I was considering getting it for my birthday next summer or so, either that or music theory. Or perhaps both.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:38 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galeongirl View Post
Wow I have never seen that before! Interesting!

Do you know if that book's any good? I was considering getting it for my birthday next summer or so, either that or music theory. Or perhaps both.

It's great! It's Anton's photo's of U2 from 1982-2006 - what's not to love about that
?
Old 01-13-2009, 02:47 AM   #17
Galeonbroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge_Orchestra View Post

It's great! It's Anton's photo's of U2 from 1982-2006 - what's not to love about that
?
I meant Bassplaying for dummies!

I already have Anton's book, he's a Dutchie so how could I not get it?

It's awesome, but very heavy!
Old 01-13-2009, 11:33 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
I meant Bassplaying for dummies!

I already have Anton's book, he's a Dutchie so how could I not get it?

It's awesome, but very heavy!
Ah. I don't have the book but I've read through some of it at the book store. Looks like a very good and useful book for someone wanting to learn bass or be better at bass, if they are already playing.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:55 AM   #19
Galeonbroad

Yea I wanna improve my playing. I do get lessons but they're not professional.They're from a guitar player/music teacher I know and he's really cool and I love it that he's doing this for me, but I'd like to know a bit of background information and he just doesn't have the time to teach me everything. So I figured if I get a good book on basic music knowhow for bassplaying, I can understand more.

Did you read any music theory stuff or did you get lessons/self taught?
Old 01-13-2009, 12:05 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Yea I wanna improve my playing. I do get lessons but they're not professional.They're from a guitar player/music teacher I know and he's really cool and I love it that he's doing this for me, but I'd like to know a bit of background information and he just doesn't have the time to teach me everything. So I figured if I get a good book on basic music knowhow for bassplaying, I can understand more.

Did you read any music theory stuff or did you get lessons/self taught?

I am not actually a bass player. I have played drums forever. And I've been playing guitar for about 10 years. I can fake my way around a bass guitar and have done so for home recording purposes.

But I do think the Bass Guitar for Dummies book is worth having a look at. Perhaps your look giganto book barn: Barnes and Noble, Brentano's, Borders' or other books stores that all seem to start with "B".