AC15 or AC30

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BungalowStadium

Babyface
Hello

I am thinking of getting an AC15 and maybe modding it with a cut circuit and a new speaker, it will only be used for home use hence my reluctance for getting an AC30CC1 (and the price!). I have seen many of the youtube videos but am inteested in knowing weather anyone who maybe has both could give there thoughts. I currently have an AD15 which too me does not even come close!

Mods for a Vox AC15 or AC30 are a good idea. You can get them closer to if not exact to vintage JMI specs.

Don Butler ["Tone Man"] does great work. If Daniel Lanois, amongst others trusts his guitars with Don... Well, you get the picture.

Click on link below:
Toneman

"Basic Starting Prices for Reissue Amp Mods:

AC-15: Replace signal path components, reduce filtering, replace output tranny with Mercury Axiom clone and add a Mercury Axiom choke. Convert rectifier to accommodate GZ-34 as well as the stock 5Y3. $380.00
AC-15CC series $325.

AC-30: Replace signal path components, reduce filtering to original JMI specs, replace output tranny with Mercury Magnetics Axiom and replace choke with Mercury/Axiom. This also includeds the AC-30 CC series.
$395.00
"

The biggest reason I can think of for getting an AC-15 is your back. AC-30's should come with mandatory roadies. It's like they're made out of lead or something.

The biggest reason I can think of for getting an AC-15 is your back. AC-30's should come with mandatory roadies. It's like they're made out of lead or something.

Maybe it's because I was used to carting around my 100 lb Rivera combo... but I don't think the AC30 is that bad, weight-wise. :shrug:

Maybe it's because I was used to carting around my 100 lb Rivera combo... but I don't think the AC30 is that bad, weight-wise. :shrug:

I never thought my Fender Twin Reverb was that bad either. Until I got a Vibrolux that I could lift with one hand. Guess which amp now stays home when I'm out on a gig.

I never thought my Fender Twin Reverb was that bad either. Until I got a Vibrolux that I could lift with one hand. Guess which amp now stays home when I'm out on a gig.

:laugh:

I take both my AC30 and my Fender Blues Jr. anywhere I'm gonna be playing. Sure, the Blues Jr. is waaaaaay lighter. But the AC30 simply sounds lightyears better. I've never played on an AC15, though, so I don't know. I've heard they're comparable to Blues Jr.'s though.

Thanks for the feedback. After looking at more of the videos on youtube I seem to feel that virtually every time I see an AC30 video the sound is right on the spot, where as when I here the AC15 I am never quite sure. I think that an AC30CC1 is going to go on the shopping list with a hotplate and maybe one alnico blue at some stage, unfortunatly my current employment looks like it may be ending any day soon :huh: so heres to christmas 2011 maybe

Back
Top Bottom