You've lived with Get On Your Boots for 5 days...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Do you feel the same about GOYB today?

• I still love it as much as I did the first listen

Votes: 235 33.3%
  • I dont like it as much as I did the first listen

Votes: 81 11.5%
  • It's growing on me

Votes: 293 41.5%
  • I still dont like it

Votes: 97 13.7%

• Total voters
I like the song, but I think I like it less as I listen more--the "sexy boots" line really bothers me, and the real progressive hookishness comes at the end of the song (bad move)--I think the objective verdict comes from iTunes. It's #82 in the U.S....82!!! really shocked at this--I also think they made a huge mistake by not offering a free download.

I'm starting to like it a lot more. "sexy boots" is such a silly line, though, I'm embarrassed for Bono. :tongue:

The problem with the "sexy boots" line is it really sticks out, and creates an odd impression for the casual radio listener--several people have come up to me (knowing I am huge fan) asking about that line--followed by a joking Britney Spears reference. Too bad, I hoenstly think the elements of the song could have made it pretty spectacular (the last minute is amazing), but as it is, I only just "like it," and most casual fans/listeners I have spoken to hate it.

I have 6 casual U2 fans that are family members or friends. All of them like the song. I know one other person who has heard it who doesn't really like U2 that much and she doesn't like Boots because she says "They are trying to be too cool."

I have 6 casual U2 fans that are family members or friends. All of them like the song. I know one other person who has heard it who doesn't really like U2 that much and she doesn't like Boots because she says "They are trying to be too cool."

Yeah, none of my casual U2 fan friends were wowed by it either. Oh well, I figure -- can't win 'em all. Not every U2 single is going to be a blockbuster. I still have faith that the album is going to be amazing and different, which is all that I ever want from a U2 record. Hopefully in a few months, we'll view 'Boots' in the context of the album, and it will simply be a cool, trippy, fun little punk rock song, tucked into an incredible slate of U2 classics.

Either that, or we'll have our first U2+Eno+Lanois album that's a bust, lol

:wink:

Most people I know who have heard it don’t like it, but they don’t hate it as much as they did Vertigo.

Same here, everyone knows I'm a fan and is baffled by GOYB. But most people I know loved Vertigo. I am surprised to see a sort of revisionist backlash against Vertigo now with GOYB out there.

Same here, everyone knows I'm a fan and is baffled by GOYB. But most people I know loved Vertigo. I am surprised to see a sort of revisionist backlash against Vertigo now with GOYB out there.

I think GOYB is superior to Vertigo, but Vertigo is still a great song. Neither Boots nor Vertigo are great U2 songs.

true--I have grown to hate Vertigo--Boots is much better IMO. But tha f-in "sexy boots" line is really getting under my skin.

Gradually hating something isn't growth. =P Anyways, without the sexy boots line, it doesn't really illustrate the idea of sexuality vs. militarism, does it?

GOYB >>>>>Veritgo

That was my brothers' initial reaction, but probably with a couple less alligator mouths.

I like the song, but I think I like it less as I listen more--the "sexy boots" line really bothers me, and the real progressive hookishness comes at the end of the song (bad move)--I think the objective verdict comes from iTunes. It's #82 in the U.S....82!!! really shocked at this--I also think they made a huge mistake by not offering a free download.

I noticed the position on iTunes as well. I can't imagine that anyone (record company, band) is pleased with how Boots is being received so far. Don't Stop Believin' by Journey which was originally released 27 years ago (and back again because of the long ago Sopranos finale?) is charting ahead of them. And can it be perceived as good that they're a few spots ahead of Survivor's Eye of the Tiger? Wow. You can't even make that kind of stuff up. Imagine delivering that news to Larry Mullen, Jr.. And they all would be very aware of this. I can imagine that there are some interesting conversations going on at the moment.

They have been away for a long time so who knows how the general public will receive them and what overall sales numbers will be. It doesn't matter to me but they haven't been prolific the past decade. To put it into context, in the time it has taken for U2 to release their last 3 albums (ATYCLB, HTBAAB, NLOTH) - the Beatles had had their entire album recording careers and John, Paul, George and Ringo had already put out 8 solo records - at age 30. Different times but it could be relevant in whether or not U2 is able to come back at this stage in their lives (approaching 50) and be current and as successful as they were previously in today's market and with today's audience. Then again, Bob Dylan has continued to be successful and he's approaching 70. The difference is U2 seems to strive for and loves to be BIG and wildly successful.

I would say the promotional campaign has been lacking. Maybe when they step it up there will be more of a buzz but so far I don't feel it and maybe it's something that shouldn't be expected. It could be intentional to come quietly out of the gate before the blitz of p.r. arrives.

I'm thrilled we're getting a new album. It's great that they all get along after decades together, have put out as many records as they have and still want to put out new music. I'll take that.

I want to believe that the album will sound amazing. Not to the mass public or anyone else but to me. I hope that it takes me to new places as their other records have always done. I could care less if it's a commercial success and I wonder if at this point in their careers if they care.

Boots is good but I don't find it great. And it is not Vertigo or Beautiful Day - which were both anthem/NBA/NFL type commercial songs. I can't believe they expected Boots to be that type of hit. I wouldn't say Boots is uplifting as those two other two singles were. There are parts that I do like. I find Boots to be all over the place. It seems too thought out and too many things in U2's desire to be original...which could or could not be part of the problem commercially. I don't want to listen to it constantly - which I usually do when I get new U2. Just my take. One song doesn't make an album.

The band has given us a tremendous amount over a long and unprecedented career. I continue to be along for the ride. I accept that there will be hits and misses along the way. I'm sure they'll deliver a few songs that will keep me interested. And they've earned the right to do it any way they want and put out as much or as little as they want.

It'll be interesting how it all transpires this year.

They haven’t done a thing yet, promotion wise, really. They’ve done a couple of things with a couple of dinosaur magazines that create no hype in 2009, but that’s it. The real hype hasn’t begun yet. That they just kinda let Boots sneak out there must have been deliberate. Either they thought it was better/bigger than it is, could create noise on it’s own, or this really isn’t an album with any killer singles, Boots is as close as they get and they know it’s not very strong. So, instead of the usual 50% single, 50% album release promo/hype kick off, they’re going to put everything into just the album release?

I think they’d be very disappointed if they’d put a lot into Boots and it was tanking, but they haven’t. They must know it’s just not either a big or great song. That kinda excites me. If they put all the hype in the world behind this song, as they did Vertigo, it would definitely be a sign that flying in on the back of this song is the best commercial chance the album has. That it clearly isn’t the case is a great sign. It’s either not ‘the’ song, or the album just doesn’t have one. Either way, that’s great.

Tank Boots! Tank!

They haven’t done a thing yet, promotion wise, really. They’ve done a couple of things with a couple of dinosaur magazines that create no hype in 2009, but that’s it. The real hype hasn’t begun yet. That they just kinda let Boots sneak out there must have been deliberate. Either they thought it was better/bigger than it is, could create noise on it’s own, or this really isn’t an album with any killer singles, Boots is as close as they get and they know it’s not very strong. So, instead of the usual 50% single, 50% album release promo/hype kick off, they’re going to put everything into just the album release?

I think they’d be very disappointed if they’d put a lot into Boots and it was tanking, but they haven’t. They must know it’s just not either a big or great song. That kinda excites me. If they put all the hype in the world behind this song, as they did Vertigo, it would definitely be a sign that flying in on the back of this song is the best commercial chance the album has. That it clearly isn’t the case is a great sign. It’s either not ‘the’ song, or the album just doesn’t have one. Either way, that’s great.

Tank Boots! Tank!

:up:

Perhaps that's why the CD single looks to have No Line on the Horizon the song on it. Maybe they will push that? Who knows. The next 3 weeks should be really interesting.

Liking it a lot +1 week on. Only thing I still don't like is that ridiculous 'non guitar' solo from Edge at the 1:17 mark after the first chorus.

Love the cowbell playing from Larry. Hope he plays it live instead of it looped into the mix.

It's gonna sound mega live.

As for the decision to release it first, I think its a mistake since it will be perceived too much as Vertigo Part II.

If it’s the version of NLOTH that’s on the album, it’s an unusual move. Again, points more towards the album as a whole being the selling point, not any of the songs individually.

I like it still, but like is all, it's funny but on other forums I post on people have a very set image of U2 ie Red Rocks, JT and such, alsmost a Time capsule mentality so they seem to detest it because perhaps it doesn't sound like IWF or Streets...

Seeing that releasing 2 songs at once now is the 'in' thing, I'd have maybe prefered if they'd done that, 2 songs for contrast..

I like it still, but like is all, it's funny but on other forums I post on people have a very set image of U2 ie Red Rocks, JT and such, alsmost a Time capsule mentality so they seem to detest it because perhaps it doesn't sound like IWF or Streets...

For a band like U2 that has been around so long, and where obviously there's a lot more in the past than however long they will last out into the future, it is inevitable that everything becomes a time capsule. Everyone here who yearns for a return to AB, they are in a time capsule too. That is 15+ years ago. In the end we have to predominantly look back.

In a sense, it becomes simpler when a band has broken up. Then everything is in the past. If the 80's then happen to be someone's favourite era then so be it.

If it’s the version of NLOTH that’s on the album, it’s an unusual move. Again, points more towards the album as a whole being the selling point, not any of the songs individually.

I'm not sure it's any more or less unusual than releasing a track that's not on the album, sharing the same name as the album and title track, as the B-Side. Both are equally confusing to me.

Im not worried im sure the song will pick up steam. Im intersted to see what the video looks like.

I wish they had released it as a stand alone single separate from the album.
It would have been a clever move.
I think this is def going to interrupt the flow of what sounds (possibly, hopefully!) to be a classic album.
It's right in the middle - eek!

Back
Top Bottom