You've lived with Get On Your Boots for 5 days...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Do you feel the same about GOYB today?

• I still love it as much as I did the first listen

Votes: 235 33.3%
  • I dont like it as much as I did the first listen

Votes: 81 11.5%
  • It's growing on me

Votes: 293 41.5%
  • I still dont like it

Votes: 97 13.7%

• Total voters
Again so the people who voted that they liked it on the other thread are all wrong? what makes your opinion more valid than anyone elses?.

My opinion isnt more valid but i just cant find any redeeming features in it.If someone likes it then that their choice but to me its just horrific.Almost as if Bono is an "embarrasing Dad" dancing,trying to be cool and even rap.Makes me sad because i love U2 so much.

The biggest problems with the song involve the production. It sounds pasted together, compressed, and lifeless.

I agree. I'd like to hear whatever session that drunken Larry fill at the top of the song came from. Coolest performance on the whole song, but it's just flown in at a couple of spots to remind us that humans played on this track.

I like the song more than most here I guess, but it's bizarre how robotic and pasted together a lot of U2's 00's material has been. Listen even to BD - the changes sound like seams, you know? Of course, they learn to bring it live, but it seems like they're afraid to sound like a rock band on record.

I guess Vertigo, like it or not, represents a pretty good approximation of four guys in a room...

But it's a bit like vertigo in that it's one of those songs which you think are good songs, but never really have a high desire to listen to them. I'm listening to it now because it's new and sounds new, but like Vertigo as it ages I'm not sure that out of no where I will jump up and say "hey you know what song I really want to listen to? Get on your boots" 10 years from now. Right now I have a real urge to listen to Ultraviolet. I really love that song. But I don't know, I reallly do NOT know whether I will feel about the same about this song.

Best post in long IMO. I never ever get the urge to put Vertigo on. Like this song, it has no emotional impact. A great U2 song for me is a song that either mirrors, or helps propel you out of, a state of mind; something that's either transcendental or comforting. I don't get this from GOYB. I'm almost scared to keep listening to it because I like it less and less...

The Fly comparisons are so so far off the mark it isn't true. The Fly for me is one of the great rock lyrics...

Still got high hopes for NLOTH though :up:

I think the Fly comparisons are in terms of sort of a shift in direction rather than the song itself.

I liked Boots the first tme I heard it, I f**king love it now. :dancing:

Seems like it's growing on a lot of other people too....

...just by reading this thread I started to hear boots in my head again,not good:mad:

I can't help put determine that Boots pales in comparison to songs like Discotheque, Lemon, and even Daddy's Gonna Pay for Your Crashed Car and Do You Feel Loved. I still have high hopes for the rest of the album, but Boots is not a good start.

Boots seems to pull off the cut and paste style better than Feel Loved. Up until now I thought Feel Loved was their best effort in that department. I think Boots is able to sustain momentum throughout the songs choppiness. Whereas, Feel Loved has that domineering bass line that the song always falls back on for its momentum.

Lemon is a brilliant song, but Bono's falsetto vocal lead does not hold up well, imo. The vocal on Boots definitely appears to be another 'character' vocal. I'm wondering if there's multiple roles in this song. What I think makes this lead vocal better than Lemon's is that he's able find a naturally higher tone in his voice that sounds clear as opposed to that pinched Lemon falsetto that has very little strength behind it.

I really like it- wouldnt claim it was one of their best, but enjoyable nonetheless

I think the video will really help this song.

I can imagine it being quite awesome.

I'm liking it more than I thought I would...

I made a compilation of U2 rockers such as Mofo, The Fly, Big Girls, God Part II, and put Boots on there with it; been listening to it in the car and it fits well right there between all those U2 rock songs...

See, on Earth (where I'm from), average means middle-of-the-pack, neither here nor there, in between good and bad. The middle of the scale of 0 - 10 is consequently 5. Yet, wherever you're from, you say 7 is average. Boggles the mind, really.

Hmm. Lets see. Did you ever go to school? Judging from your posts, please don't answer that.

Where I come from, an average grade is a "C". A "C" equates to anywhere between a 70-79. "Above Average to Pretty Good" would be "80-89", and "Great to Excellent/Perfect" would be "90-100."

"Inadequate" would be "60-69" (Where I'm from), and that would "receive" (a grade of) "D".

A "failing" "grade" or an "F" (NOT the mid of the pack). Which would be <60.

Thank you for being a jackass, as always. So I guess I should just say, thank you for being you.:wave:

While I like the song, I have found that I have lost some interest in playing it. There is nothing there that makes me want to come back for more. I wont initially skip the track on the CD but it certainly wont be a song that I'll be playing for years to come.

The more GibsonExplorer posts the more I like this song...:shrug:

Same here, or so it seems.

I don't think these threads have much purpose right now, everything in this part of the forum seems to just retort into bitching.

How nice a world would be in which people respected eachother's opinion and didn't try to force theirs on others.

Initially I liked the song, but I now think I was ready to like almost anything new by U2. One of the reasons why I liked the song is because it had more musical variety than Vertigo. Get on Your Boots felt like it came out of the same vein as Vertigo, but it didn't go for the obvious pop song musicalities. It had interesting transitions and no dominating chorus. That felt refreshing at the time.

Now I can barely listen to the song. The lyrics are not only laughable, but annoy me to death. U2's treatise to appeal to the younger folk is coming off pretty bad. People are defending the song by saying The Fly initially was panned too, but the Fly has much more logical and thoughtful lyrics. The lyrics in that song amount to a complete song. It also felt like it was adults speaking to adult music. U2 is playing a bad version of Family Guy here with random references and breezy associations.

The other problem is that the song is interesting for U2 because they never experimented with this type of free form pop music, but a lot of other bands have and done so to much better effect. The biggest complaint about the Beatles is that they mimicked a lot of other bands musical discoveries and incorporated it into their own catalogue, but their version was more bland and just more radio friendly. I feel like U2 did a similar thing here and instead of expanding upon a known genre, they made it more palpable for the average radio goer.

Does this make me think the whole album will be bad? Not at all. I don't care what anyone says, but to me Even Better than the Real Thing is a lame duck pop song. It has a stupid premise with lyrics that barely pass high school pop romance. Some of it is cute, but barely any of it is memorable. The guitar work just aspires to be competent at best. The rest of Achtung Baby is really good, but it's not a perfect album. This could be the story of No Line on the Horizon, too.

AB had a dark, mysterious quality that was brand new for them at the time, but the songs were also strong melodically.
And this was 18 years ago when they were in their early 30's.

It's a different time. Will the album capture something just as special for the year 2009? We'll see soon enough.

The Fly had me within about 30 seconds, and I've never stopped loving this song.
Boots never had me, not even for a minute. After the first 10 seconds I said "Oh no...".

I'm sorry. People can't help how they feel. I'm glad some people here love the song.

I'm liking it more than I thought I would...

I made a compilation of U2 rockers such as Mofo, The Fly, Big Girls, God Part II, and put Boots on there with it; been listening to it in the car and it fits well right there between all those U2 rock songs...

So I quickly made a playlist with GYOB and other U2 tracks the day after it came out, that I feel it has borrowed, works of off, and just sounds good with. I did this after 2 listens of GYOB because I just wasn't hearing 'IT' but putting Boots with these songs has really helped it grow on me. I can't list every little thing that I'm reminded of in past U2 songs when I hear GYOB, but I'm finding many little subtleties it has in common with these songs.

In no particular order

Daddy's Gonna Pay
Some Days
Zoo Station
Fast Cars
Even Better
Electric Co
Vertigo
GYOB
Happiness is a Warm Gun
Salome
Numb
Zooropa
Saints
Desire
All Because of You
God Pt. 2
Discotheque
Do You Feel Loved
Mofo
Miami

Boots is no comparison to The Fly.

IMO, they made a major mistake in thinking this was a good lead off single.....(or even a tune that should've made the cut for that matter)....

I haven't heard any buzz about this tune anywhere; radio, tv, the man on the street...

I really hope they release a GREAT 2nd single soon. I know it won't happen before March. They better give up this childish wanna be cool shit and just put out a great song.

:tongue::happy::love:

I absolutely agree!

My thing is, doesn't the record company have ANY say in things like first singles? Surely the A&R guy didn't hear this song and think "BRILLIANT!!! THAT IS A SUREFIRE HIT!!!" People are saying this song is too "radio friendly". I will be surprised if I ever hear this on the radio. (I haven't so far). GOYB doesn't fall into any marketable demographic.

Everybody I've played the song for has had pretty much the same opinion: It's not an awful song. However, the lyrics are stupid, the vocals are weak, the music sounds too similar to Vertigo (I don't see how anybody can't make this connection), the guitar "fill" after the 1st chorus sounds like something they forgot to come back and fix. People expect MORE from U2.

Back
Top Bottom