Your favourite Edge "guitar hero" riff of this decade?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
First of all, I said nothing about "punk" (a dubious term) music. I said "post-punk", which means responding to/after punk, from roughly 1978/79 until now.

This is no way equates 'Vertigo' with punk rock, but rather was to contrast the post-punk era (which U2's career arc spans) to the pre-punk era (early rock/R&B and 'classic rock' era if you like). I would not rank 'Vertigo's riff that high if we're going to hold it up against Hendrix, Led Zep, Byrds, Stones, Beatles, etc., but in the post-punk (new wave/MTV/grunge/boy-band) era, I would say it's one of the best I've ever heard.

You'll have to explain to us how a musically powerful song needs "a reason to exist".

I assume you are not a musician.

If you're saying the song is post punk, which means anything released after punk (including boy-band :huh:) may i also refer to the song as post-Baroque era, because, well, it technically is?

All hilarity aside, I've always associated post punk more with late 70's and early 80's. When bands that WERE playing punk (which i agree is a dubious term, but i kinda gotta play along to explain this) started screwing around with their sound and adding emotional and musical layers to their songs. For example: Joy Division. I wouldn't call Thomas Dolby postpunk, nor would I Backstreet Boys (which are more like the Four Seasons if you think about it).

As for a song having a reason to exist, see Shavers' tentative stab at my drunken ramblings. He gets it. Not that i think Native Son is sliced bread or anything, but at least the song does have a story (although at times it gets stuck up its own preachy ass). I can't explain perfectly how useless I think the Vertigo song is, not without breaking out in hives, but here goes: There's no urgency in the song (For me, in my opinion, to all the opinion police out there :wink:) and that's alright (a song can be just fun, i'm not a music snob) but I don't find the song to be much fun either. I find the riff incredibly corny, I find Bono's performance incredibly embarrassing, and there seems to be no purpose to the song, other than to announce to the world "here we are and we're ready to rock", which they sadly DO NOT do. So, for me, a song that 1) carries no emotional weight, and 2) is not even good on a "fun" level...ultimately sounds like a failed experiment (that wound up winning like 5 million Grammies or something, so what the fuck do i know, right? :applaud:)

Finally, I am no more a musician than Brian Eno. I don't sit at home practicing flight of the bumblebee on my skinflute, but I (like musical dillettante Brian Eno) am more of an ideas man. And I do write songs (on piano, not my skinflute), songs that you'd probably love :hug: But you'll never hear them because Vertigo ruined music forever :lol: That last sentence was a joke, Vertigo lovers.

(and the Eno references are of an inside 65980 kinda thing)

I think someone should just create a "Beaten Dead Horse" thread for all of those that like to go on the same rants every week, that way everyone else can avoid them.

I think someone should just create a "Beaten Dead Horse" thread for all of those that like to go on the same rants every week, that way everyone else can avoid them.

That was fast. You get speedier with age dont you?:wink:

How was it fast? The beating of the dead horse started on page one of the thread...:shrug:

Oh, I thought you were mainly referring to what I said. Now I don't feel so special.

Anyway, what's your favorite Edge guitar hero riff?

Yea, I'd say ABOY is the best riff, and out of the guitar hero list, probably the best channeling of classic rock.

"Get On Your Boots" is right up there. "Stand Up Comedy" and "Glastonbury" are a show of the time that Edge spent in Jimmy Page's presence...

...I also think that "Xanax and Wine" and "Native Son" had the punk energy that the band spoke of during the time of HTDAAB. Who better to get that energy than Chris Thomas who recorded Sex Pistols 'Never Mind the Bollocks'?

And a nod to "All Because of You", which is the most Who-like song U2 have written.

I can't explain perfectly how useless I think the Vertigo song is, not without breaking out in hives, but here goes: There's no urgency in the song (For me, in my opinion, to all the opinion police out there :wink:) and that's alright (a song can be just fun, i'm not a music snob) but I don't find the song to be much fun either. I find the riff incredibly corny, I find Bono's performance incredibly embarrassing, and there seems to be no purpose to the song, other than to announce to the world "here we are and we're ready to rock", which they sadly DO NOT do.

Although I don't share your opinion, I do appreciate that you made some effort here to explain it. I kind of know what you mean, but I still think it's a great song.

I can't be bothered to explain why I approve of 'Vertigo' but think 'I'll go Crazy if I blah, blah blah" is a total ball of cheese, but there you go.

Probably Vertigo or GOYB. Also, I'd really like to see Stand Up Comedy live, as I think it's one of those songs that would be much more energetic in that context.

When you're trying to explain a subjective feeling you're gonna wind up looking guilty of, you know, having thoughts.

There's thinking about that subjective feeling and then there's thinking about it too much. In my opinion you were thinking about it too much but each to their own.

'the riff' in Beautiful Day kicks the shit out of the rest of Edge's 00s.

That is a good one, perhaps a little to reminiscent of IWF but it is one his best. And I see it more as "classic Edge" than "Edge channels his inner guitar hero".

From the 00's rock-star riffs it's a tie between Vertigo and SUC for me.

Vertigo, definitely. The lead riff is simple yet effective, and there are a few other riffs or guitar sounds in the song (although some of them are mixed pretty low) that I like here as well. I was about to say Native Son, but realized that in terms of guitar work it's the same, just mixed differently (and better IMO).

I think it sucks because you like it. :D

I have only stated my opinions. I don't speak for everyone. Calm down.

well, you try to pass your opinions as facts... that was why I said what I said. Maybe it is you who needs to calm down. :shrug:

Someone wrote Beautiful Day. I have to agree, even though It is not one of my favourite songs. That really is The Edge.

Relax. Music is entirely subjective, and the thread title says "your favorite", so we shouldn't have to preface every opinion with "in my opinion." We should know that it's that poster's opinion, because ALL music discussion with regards to quality is opinion. Okay? If you think someone's tone implies that they are trying to pass off their opinions as facts, then that means that you're either over-sensitive or reading too much into it.

For example, I'll say this: The riff from Get On Your Boots is awesome and the riff from All Because of You sucks and the riff from Glastonbury sounds like a riff I've heard before, but I don't know what it is, so that must mean it's generic.

See? I didn't preface any of that with "in my opinion" because you should already know it's just my opinion.

well, you try to pass your opinions as facts... that was why I said what I said. Maybe it is you who needs to calm down. :shrug:

Someone wrote Beautiful Day. I have to agree, even though It is not one of my favourite songs. That really is The Edge.

My friend, when did I ever say my opinion was fact? I stated more than once that everything was my opinion (and i even gave a shout out to the Opinion Police with a :wink: included). I'm completely calm and I typed up my thoughts in a completely calm manner. If you were hurt by my opinions of said songs, then I am sorry. That's all I can say really at this point.

I don't know what you're getting at mentioning Beautiful Day. I like that song and I never mentioned it once I think.

LOL, the Vertigo discussion here is some good entertainment. I'll admit that in a live setting it's awesome, and it must be hella fun for Edge to play, but it is one of their songs that I dont go out of my way to listen to...

The main riff in Magnificent gets my vote... and I bet he had it locked away in his head for years.

Oops, didnt notice that we were given a list to choose from. Hmmm, not a huge fan of any of those, but I will go with SUC even though the lyrics are horse poop.

I'll throw in a vote for Glastonbury. If they absolutely must do straight up rock, I'd rather it sounded like this than any of the others in the list.

My friend, when did I ever say my opinion was fact? I stated more than once that everything was my opinion (and i even gave a shout out to the Opinion Police with a :wink: included). I'm completely calm and I typed up my thoughts in a completely calm manner. If you were hurt by my opinions of said songs, then I am sorry. That's all I can say really at this point.

I don't know what you're getting at mentioning Beautiful Day. I like that song and I never mentioned it once I think.

Well, when I read your posts you seemed a little bit to arrogant, that's all.

And I was not hurt at all :lol:

I just thought you came out a a little bit arrogant. If this wasn't the case then there's nothing more to discuss about it :up:

I spoke Beautiful Day in response of U2girl post, not you. :up:

of the choices- Vertigo.

IMO edge's attack on BTBS is his best. I know the song is a little tired now but in the hey day, quite sick.

Back
Top Bottom