Woody Harrelson/Song For Someone.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's definitely catchy.

If I could pay someone to get the damned thing out of my head, I would.

As much as I dislike it, it is the song from the album most likely to get stuck in my head.

WHY GOD WHY.

I have to admit I suffer the same issue.

I cannot help harming too often: "You´ve got a face not spoiled by beauty..."

This is a bong. A bong for someone.

459075340-woody-harrelson-episode-1668-pictured-woody-gettyimages.jpg

Don't let it go out.

It's definitely catchy.

If I could pay someone to get the damned thing out of my head, I would.

As much as I dislike it, it is the song from the album most likely to get stuck in my head.

WHY GOD WHY.

I have to admit I suffer the same issue.

I cannot help harming too often: "You gotta face not spoiled by beauty..."

This song is boring and generic. They should've sacked up and released Reach, TCB or Cedarwood Road as the 3rd single. In fact, Reach or TCB should've been the lead single. The Miracle is a good song, but those two would've been better choices.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

After it fails in charts we can call it SONG FOR NO ONE

No matter what you think of the song, it's probably the most singable one on the album, along with California. You can hear the audience singing along to the chorus in concert and U2 might be gearing up for that sort of interaction. As someone mentioned, Bono repeating 'don't let it go out..' As SFS fades into the intro to Streets could work. Does that make it a sorbet song? Kinda. It's not the best track on the album, but it serves a purpose, and if anything this album, it's release, and it's singles have been purposeful.

If a tree falls in the forest... Or, if U2 releases a single and no one hears it, does it make sense? Would Troubles, Reach, Cedarwood, or some of the other choices make a release that would get some play? I'm not sure.

Sent from my fingertips.

Somehow, someway, I just know California isn't going to be released as a single. It makes too much sense and U2 seems bent on destroying this album.

If a tree falls in the forest... Or, if U2 releases a single and no one hears it, does it make sense? Would Troubles, Reach, Cedarwood, or some of the other choices make a release that would get some play? I'm not sure.

And that very well may be true.

No matter what you think of the song, it's probably the most singable one on the album, along with California. You can hear the audience singing along to the chorus in concert and U2 might be gearing up for that sort of interaction. As someone mentioned, Bono repeating 'don't let it go out..' As SFS fades into the intro to Streets could work. Does that make it a sorbet song? Kinda. It's not the best track on the album, but it serves a purpose, and if anything this album, it's release, and it's singles have been purposeful.

I’ll admit that I've been a bit surprised as to how the song is received outside of ‘usual’ fanbase. There’s been a few mentions of it in some places, but you have everyone from Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran wishing it was a song his band recorded to an NFL writer at Sports Illustrated saying it’s a good road trip song. Personally, it’s probably my second-to-least favorite on the album, but I can see where the lyric or guitar riff can resonate with some people. It’s not a bad song, but just one that doesn't quite stick with me in the same way.

I was out with some coworkers last week, and this one girl (22 or 23?) told me she doesn't like U2 at all, and doesn't know why I do. I don't really care if people don't like them, but I asked what songs she's heard. "None," she said. So I took command of the jukebox, played 5-10 songs, and she was singing along to Mysterious Ways, I Still Haven't Found, One, Pride -- and she had no idea those were U2 songs. None.

Ew… you played her warhorses??? Oh, the horror. ;)

Well yeah. I think laying off the rawk singles (and the second bad lead single in a row) and vintage U2 sounds (Magnificent hasn't tought them anything so here comes EBW...) right now might be a good idea for them. Maybe having a Hollywood actor in the video could get the song more exposure.

I think Reach or Troubles might be closer to what radio plays currently but I doubt radio is into playing U2 unless they team up with someone younger (ie Macca, Kanye and Rihanna recently).

I suppose I’m getting nitpicky here, but here it goes… in terms of what may have been the ‘best’ lead-off single, it may have very well been either The Miracle and EBW anyway. A large part of it is because you have some variation of the I–V–vi–IV progression present in both songs to an extent. It's used a lot in popular music, probably because it sounds nice when musicians are jamming or being creative and what not. Anyways, for The Miracle, it comes during the first and third part of the chorus riff and sort of gives it that ‘lift off’ feeling. Combine that with an aggressive guitar part and Larry’s use of the floor toms at the beginning, and you have something that's probably a bit more memorable with people more than other songs. Obviously, the song didn’t become their biggest hit in 20 years or anything, but it probably got someone’s attention during the iphone commercials and such that way.

EBW was the same way too. It used a more common version of that progression, except that it switched the first and second chords around. So take that and throw it with what is arguably one of Bono’s better lyric and melodies in years, and that’s probably why people look so highly towards the song. Again, it hasn’t exploded by any means, but I can't see many other songs on the album getting a similar chance to stick with some people.

Weirdly enough, I was looking up the chords to Volcano the other day, and its chorus supposedly uses an Em-C-G-D progression, which also falls into that particular progression I mentioned here. The people online couldn't quite agree on which order those chords were in, but that would be the band's third use of that popular progression on the album (and might explain why some people dislike the song for sounding too 'commericial' or whatever!). Maybe some of our guitar/music theory people on here can help clarify that a bit?

I don't dislike it the way I initially did, but it's definitely the least interesting song on an otherwise standout album.

I don't know whose advice they're taking on their choice of singles, but my god, for the last two albums, they've been missing the mark by a mile. Completely overlooking much stronger choices.

One specific thing I dislike about the song (I know you've all been waiting to hear this, don't lie): I usually like or love Edge's background vocals. I cannot stand them on this song. At all.

That's funny. It's probably the one thing I like about the song. Gives it a live-in-studio feel even if it's been polished to oblivion.

I suppose I’m getting nitpicky here, but here it goes… in terms of what may have been the ‘best’ lead-off single, it may have very well been either The Miracle and EBW anyway. A large part of it is because you have some variation of the I–V–vi–IV progression present in both songs to an extent. It's used a lot in popular music, probably because it sounds nice when musicians are jamming or being creative and what not. Anyways, for The Miracle, it comes during the first and third part of the chorus riff and sort of gives it that ‘lift off’ feeling. Combine that with an aggressive guitar part and Larry’s use of the floor toms at the beginning, and you have something that's probably a bit more memorable with people more than other songs. Obviously, the song didn’t become their biggest hit in 20 years or anything, but it probably got someone’s attention during the iphone commercials and such that way.

EBW was the same way too. It used a more common version of that progression, except that it switched the first and second chords around. So take that and throw it with what is arguably one of Bono’s better lyric and melodies in years, and that’s probably why people look so highly towards the song. Again, it hasn’t exploded by any means, but I can't see many other songs on the album getting a similar chance to stick with some people.

Weirdly enough, I was looking up the chords to Volcano the other day, and its chorus supposedly uses an Em-C-G-D progression, which also falls into that particular progression I mentioned here. The people online couldn't quite agree on which order those chords were in, but that would be the band's third use of that popular progression on the album (and might explain why some people dislike the song for sounding too 'commericial' or whatever!). Maybe some of our guitar/music theory people on here can help clarify that a bit?

This is why music is unpredictable, unmeasurable. Even if you think, you have everything right, in the end, somehow, it doesn´t work...

One specific thing I dislike about the song (I know you've all been waiting to hear this, don't lie): I usually like or love Edge's background vocals. I cannot stand them on this song. At all.

That's funny. It's probably the one thing I like about the song. Gives it a live-in-studio feel even if it's been polished to oblivion.

Same. Edge's vocals are probably the best part for me.

Somehow, someway, I just know California isn't going to be released as a single. It makes too much sense and U2 seems bent on destroying this album.

Well, they were initially supposed to release four singles for NLOTH, but just gave up after Crazy Tonight got no traction. If Song for Someone is as widely ignored as I expect, they may call it after three singles again.

Once the tour starts, what would be the point of another singly anyway?

I don't think younger people really know what U2 sounds like. It's really got not a lot to do with single selection, either. It's just the fact that they're old and younger people don't really want to give old music a chance. Of course, there's exceptions.

I was out with some coworkers last week, and this one girl (22 or 23?) told me she doesn't like U2 at all, and doesn't know why I do. I don't really care if people don't like them, but I asked what songs she's heard. "None," she said. So I took command of the jukebox, played 5-10 songs, and she was singing along to Mysterious Ways, I Still Haven't Found, One, Pride -- and she had no idea those were U2 songs. None.

But that's my entire point.

Funny people how are using the classic Coke metaphor. This week marked the 30 anniversary of the New Coke debacle. I actually liked the taste of New Coke, but if it ain't broke don't fix it.

SFS is my least favorite song on SOI, but like others have mentioned, it gets trapped in your brain and stays there. :wink:

But that's my entire point.

Yeah, but I don't think it has anything to do with their single selection and what the perception of classic U2 is. They could've released The Troubles or whatever people think the best song from SOI as its lead single and the reaction would likely be the same. U2 are old. I don't think the single choices are going to have much of an effect either way, especially not when everybody with iTunes already has/had the album.

Back
Top Bottom