With or without NLOTH2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

b_digg

The Fly
The addition of NLOTH2 at the end of the album with the bonus track gives the album this whole other feel. It gives the 'concept' album listening experience and i'm not sure which version I prefer the down abrupt cedars ending or the NLOTH2 uptempo 'bookend' version. It seems the band may have played with this idea as well as NLOTH2 just fits too well at the end of bonus disc versions.

Discuss.

Hmm. Im still not sure. Bought the CD yesterday and at the moment would have preferred it with just the 11 songs. Cedars leaves the album in a real dark, thoughtful mood while NLOTH2 obviously does the opposite.

However, its only a bonus track so its meant to just be a tack on. Although I think Ground Beneath on ATYCLB was a perfect tack on to make the album extra special.

In essence, album form and abrupt ending for me. :up:

Hmm. Im still not sure. Bought the CD yesterday and at the moment would have preferred it with just the 11 songs. Cedars leaves the album in a real dark, thoughtful mood while NLOTH2 obviously does the opposite.

However, its only a bonus track so its meant to just be a tack on. Although I think Ground Beneath on ATYCLB was a perfect tack on to make the album extra special.

In essence, album form and abrupt ending for me. :up:

Im not so sure; i think the case of too many choices. I would like it either way but I guess the band went with 11 tracks so that is the intended end. Maybe they couldnt make up their mind either hence the NLOTH2 bookend version.

I kind of would have liked a reprise move with 2 at the start and the album version at the end, but NLOTH2 is clearly a demo and if it belonged it would go more with raucous Boots/SUC section than at the start, and Cedars leaves the album where they wanted it to, hopefully leading to this follow-up.

Also Ground Beneath Her Feet shouldn't have just been tacked on, it straight-up should have replaced Grace, and would have made the second half of that album much more special.

I kind of would have liked a reprise move with 2 at the start and the album version at the end, but NLOTH2 is clearly a demo and if it belonged it would go more with raucous Boots/SUC section than at the start, and Cedars leaves the album where they wanted it to, hopefully leading to this follow-up.

Also Ground Beneath Her Feet shouldn't have just been tacked on, it straight-up should have replaced Grace, and would have made the second half of that album much more special.

:up: I totally agree. Ground owns Grace.

I think having two NLOTH's is a good idea in the sense of perhaps unifying the album as a concept but I will say I would not be a fan.

You can have NLOTH2 at the end as a reprise and still have Cedars be the last track. Think of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band(Reprise)/A Day In The Life.

NLOTH2/Cedars Of Lebanon.

I don't think it's good to have NLOTH2 at the end. It would be if it were a different reprise of the song and not just a remix. Think of Pigs On the Wing parts 1 and 2 from Pink Floyd's Animals. It was like part two was the conclusion of the idea started by part one. NLOTH2 doesn't sound like NLOTH part 2. It sounds like NLOTH punk remix.

I don't think it's good to have NLOTH2 at the end. It would be if it were a different reprise of the song and not just a remix. Think of Pigs On the Wing parts 1 and 2 from Pink Floyd's Animals. It was like part two was the conclusion of the idea started by part one. NLOTH2 doesn't sound like NLOTH part 2. It sounds like NLOTH punk remix.

Which is why I cited Sgt. Pepper. The reprise of Sgt. Pepper is simply a speeded up and shorter version of the original with different/less lyrics. Somewhat similar to the NLOTH/NLOTH2 comparison.

I don't like NLOTH2 at the end of the album at all. Which is why I just mix around the songs in itunes playlist and create my own tracklisting. It has them both and Winter too, although it's hard to find a place for either that don't have them stick out like a sore thumb. (nloth2 because you've already heard the song, and winter because its so poorly done)

Winter was underwhelming for me. I think it might be for the fact that White As Snow has a much better dig out the folk genre and I really love the finger picking in the intro.

You can have NLOTH2 at the end as a reprise and still have Cedars be the last track. Think of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band(Reprise)/A Day In The Life.

NLOTH2/Cedars Of Lebanon.

That's probably the best way of going about it, but I'd rather not have an obvious b-side on the album at all.

Back
Top Bottom