Winter (Song) (DISCUSSION ONLY)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Like butter on toast???

Butter on toast???

Good God!!!!

:no: :no: :no:

Where else did you expected the butter to be? :wink:

You people bitch too much about lyrics, what's so wrong in talking about butter, ATMs or whatever on a lyric? (I'm not talking only about you, shart1780.)

The intro is pathetic, but the rest of the song is kinda enjoyable. It's not as good as anything on NLOTH, and I'm shocked people even think so. It's so rough.

Where else did you expected the butter to be? :wink:

You people bitch too much about lyrics, what's so wrong in talking about butter, ATMs or whatever on a lyric? (I'm not talking only about you, shart1780.)

I didn't mind the ATM lyric too much because I'm sure it's about our obsession with money or some such thing. At least I hope so.

But butter on toast? That doesn't even mean anything. All it does is remind me of speading butter on my toast.

The intro is pathetic, but the rest of the song is kinda enjoyable. It's not as good as anything on NLOTH, and I'm shocked people even think so. It's so rough.

I have to say I have a weakness for brilliant unfinished U2 songs. I love the Salome outtakes and the Joshua Tree b-sides. Winter reminds me a lot of those and to me is miles ahead of the ATYCLB or HTDAAB b-sides and outtakes.

I admit the opening keyboards (apart from the VLV ressemblance, which is just ryhtmical and not in terms of chords) sound like a cheap synth and that Bono seems to have a cough attack in the last verse, but I still like it a lot!

2:13 - 2:36 is just pure U2. I fuckin love it.

Summmerrr sings in me noooo mooorreeee....Reminds me of looking back on my childhood.

I didn't mind the ATM lyric too much because I'm sure it's about our obsession with money or some such thing. At least I hope so.

But butter on toast? That doesn't even mean anything. All it does is remind me of speading butter on my toast.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't have that problem. Okay, the "Doc says you're fine, or dying" lyric pisses me, but no problem with nothing else. Oh, music's subjectivity :cute:

U2 stealing from the thieves!

They're stealing it back. :wink:

It's an okay song, but I'd never replace White as Snow with it. White as Snow is brilliant.

As others said, it sounds rough and b-side worthy.

I wouldn't replace WAS with it.

I'd replace SUC.

And probably add EBW based on the comments.:up:

I wouldn't replace WAS with it.

I'd replace SUC.

:no:

But I do want to see what EBW sounds like. Especially because that Adam interview where he says that if it was on NLOTH, it would be a really long album. :hmm: :hyper:

:lmao: so true! There are tons of ways to interpret the ATM line ... this one...well not so much

I listened to this song like 3-4 times and went back to listening to No Line.

I really like this song. It's beautiful and haunting and the 2:13 minute onward is gold. I think this would have made a great closer to the album.

it's a decent track without being outstanding- but haven't heard the rest of NLOTH yet so have nothing to compare it to (am holding out for Monday)

Ok I admit ... the song is growing on me.

And I do have to say the song doesn't feel like it's 6 minutes.

The Viva La Vida intro doesn't even bother me anymore. Still, probably better to take that out to avoid the obvious comparison. Rewrite the lyrics ("It's hot as hell/But we're like butter on toast" is seriously one of Bono's worst lyrics, ever. and he already used hot as hell in ES. I don't think that phrase makes a good lyric either way), change the spoken-word bridge, and have a more bombastic ending with a beautiful guitar solo (the opera is promising) and we might have a great song. I do like the general feel of it.

The chorus reminds me a LOT of something, but I can't think of what.

I agree, that was a cheese infested lyric. But the rest of the song is ok.

How come everyone is squaring this one up against White as Snow? Was it explicitly mentioned somewhere that it was a “‘this or that, but not both” choice?

If not, White as Snow seems like a really weird song to pick on. I think Winter fits the 1-4/8-11 album. Yes, it’s clearly, clearly unfinished. As each new section arrives, they slam into each other. It needs work, the lyrics are overall very nice but with some real dead points, and there is that Coldplay intro (which, even if it weren’t Coldplay and all of the ridiculous bashing that goes on here, would still just be too close to a major song by a major artist released in the last 12 months – it would have to change). Obviously, of course, it hasn’t been mixed or mastered properly. Even though this audio rip is absolutely terrible in it’s own right, you can still tell that it hasn’t been given it’s final spit and shine. Try and see past those things though. Everyone had to see past a lot of the same for Mercy as well.

It really does seem like a good bridge song though. I am totally sold on this only being maybe 10% away from a great middle song on an album like this. I’m surprised so many people can’t see it’s merits. You can tell from a lot of the reaction in here that most people want different things from albums. Some want track 1-11 to be All Time U2 Greatness on every track with only a passing care for complete feel and flow, and others really want the experience of the ride from track 1-11 and hang more on the details than the Really Big Moments. Either way, not every song on an album has to be a neat little package of bombastic U2ness or oh-so-emotional ultra-melodic balladeering. Some of them need to sit in between, be bridge songs.

So yes, there’s not a human being alive in the entire western world who wouldn’t just assume this is Viva La Vida at the start, it’s obviously unfinished, and Bono is inconsistent (but he is throughout the album). It needs smoothing out and you may think something like Boots or Crazy Tonight or SUC is a better song, and that’s fine, but I can’t see how people don’t think this would have been a great part of an ‘album’ album, if they’d stretched that all the way from track 1-11. Might not be one of the best 11 songs they recorded during these sessions, but I’d take this and a couple of others that still have the 1-4/8-11 feel and flow over the middle three songs any day of the week.

Really, it’s quite a cinematic song. It’s great. I think from the falsetto on, given the right mixing that it would have gotten for the album, if it made it, this place would be going mad for it.

How come everyone is squaring this one up against White as Snow? Was it explicitly mentioned somewhere that it was a “‘this or that, but not both” choice?

If not, White as Snow seems like a really weird song to pick on. I think Winter fits the 1-4/8-11 album. Yes, it’s clearly, clearly unfinished. As each new section arrives, they slam into each other. It needs work, the lyrics are overall very nice but with some real dead points, and there is that Coldplay intro (which, even if it weren’t Coldplay and all of the ridiculous bashing that goes on here, would still just be too close to a major song by a major artist released in the last 12 months – it would have to change). Obviously, of course, it hasn’t been mixed or mastered properly. Even though this audio rip is absolutely terrible in it’s own right, you can still tell that it hasn’t been given it’s final spit and shine. Try and see past those things though. Everyone had to see past a lot of the same for Mercy as well.

It really does seem like a good bridge song though. I am totally sold on this only being maybe 10% away from a great middle song on an album like this. I’m surprised so many people can’t see it’s merits. You can tell from a lot of the reaction in here that most people want different things from albums. Some want track 1-11 to be All Time U2 Greatness on every track with only a passing care for complete feel and flow, and others really want the experience of the ride from track 1-11 and hang more on the details than the Really Big Moments. Either way, not every song on an album has to be a neat little package of bombastic U2ness or oh-so-emotional ultra-melodic balladeering. Some of them need to sit in between, be bridge songs.

So yes, there’s not a human being alive in the entire western world who wouldn’t just assume this is Viva La Vida at the start, it’s obviously unfinished, and Bono is inconsistent (but he is throughout the album). It needs smoothing out and you may think something like Boots or Crazy Tonight or SUC is a better song, and that’s fine, but I can’t see how people don’t think this would have been a great part of an ‘album’ album, if they’d stretched that all the way from track 1-11. Might not be one of the best 11 songs they recorded during these sessions, but I’d take this and a couple of others that still have the 1-4/8-11 feel and flow over the middle three songs any day of the week.

Really, it’s quite a cinematic song. It’s great. I think from the falsetto on, given the right mixing that it would have gotten for the album, if it made it, this place would be going mad for it.

Earnie Shavers, will you be my life partner?

:lol: at Viva La Vida... I agree with most of this :up: I kind of like the way the album has sections though. But I do think this could have fit on the album if it were finished. It's a beautiful song ... and I was so sure I didn't like it!

Summer sings in me no more :sad:

:up: You've been on fire in this thread. I think I was the first to compare it to WAS, but really regretting it now because in the rough lyrical sketch here it sounds a lot like continuity with WAS' narrator, and I'm a sucker for that stuff. I'll need to check WAS again, but this sounds like elaboration on the guy's life, checking in at age 21 and 25. And frankly, that operatic outro (and Adam's bass!) is just too good not to appear on a proper album in some form.

Interesting if not entirely successful. I like how ambitious it is, but it's kinda like a bunch of pretty pieces that don't really fit together. I love the individual parts a lot, but not the whole thing. Does that make sense? It may end up growing on me. I'd rather be challenged by a U2 song than have it reveal everything on the first listen.

Back
Top Bottom