Winter (Linear) vs. Winter (Brothers)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which do you prefer??

• Total voters
I do hope there is a 3rd version in the works. I think the Linear version has greater potential than what the Brothers version ended up being. That more atmospheric Brothers version certainly suits the end of the film far more than the Linear version would have, but I think that with a bit more work, that last third of the Linear version is absolutely fantastic. So my vote would be for some sort of hybrid.

I do hope there is a 3rd version in the works. I think the Linear version has greater potential than what the Brothers version ended up being. That more atmospheric Brothers version certainly suits the end of the film far more than the Linear version would have, but I think that with a bit more work, that last third of the Linear version is absolutely fantastic. So my vote would be for some sort of hybrid.

yep. imagine that piano with the guitar mixed in. :drool:

Yeah, I wouldn't mind getting a finished, uptempo version of this song.

I can't believe this is even close. The Linear version completely destroys the crappy new version. Everything that was cool about the original---the kick-ass guitar chuka-chuk'ing 2/3 through, the speed and flow, the weird space-age sound effect (what is that??), the energy in the vocals, hell, the energy of the whole damn thing-----it got turned into a Franknstein's monster of a ballad that yawns from the start.

I'm really amazed that the film version is getting so much respect....:huh:

I agree as well, but I do think there are parts of the Brothers structure that would help the Linear version. But as I said, none of the potential in that clearly very raw work-in-progress Linear version was realised in the Brother version. Not even close, really.

Maybe that's because the atmospheric, slow nature of Brothers is more appealing than the yet another patented EdgeChimeTM U2 song.

Honestly, there is nothing about the Brothers version that is more appealing to me. I think the Linear version should have made the album. I think I read somewhere that Eno called them (U2) crazy for not putting it on No Line.

I think it could be better with a bit more work. But the Linear version is miles better than the Brothers version for me. :shrug: I don't hate the Brothers version, but to use an analogy its almost like an acoustic B side and sort of bland compared to the orginal version of the song for me.

Honestly, there is nothing about the Brothers version that is more appealing to me. I think the Linear version should have made the album. I think I read somewhere that Eno called them (U2) crazy for not putting it on No Line.

I think it could be better with a bit more work. But the Linear version is miles better than the Brothers version for me. :shrug: I don't hate the Brothers version, but to use an analogy its almost like an acoustic B side and sort of bland compared to the orginal version of the song for me.
:up:

:up::up:

I have to agree 1000%. There are a few songs on the album they could've turfed to make way for Winter. Eno's right (this time ;))

Well said.
:up::up::up::up:

i've gone back and forth, and i can finally say that i like the Linear version better, but i do enjoy the Brothers version as well.

and it's not whether or not WAS is better than Winter, it's the fact that both of them are better than SUC, and Winter should have been on the album instead of SUC.

and it's not whether or not WAS is better than Winter, it's the fact that both of them are better than SUC, and Winter should have been on the album instead of SUC.

Listening to Gilbert Gottfried vs. listening to Fran Drescher, really. Neither song has a hook or direction, and would just drag the album down. SUC is filler, and Winter (in either state; the Brothers version is easier to ignore, so I prefer it) would merely be a more interesting failure.

Honestly, I don't see what's wrong with just having 10 tracks. They're all pretty good, and the transition from GOYB--->Fez is far ahead of SUC--->Fez, so it even works from a sequencing perspective.

Good point about GOBY into Fez. Given the "Let me in the sound", it seems as if they were made to go together anyway. Plus it's the most upbeat, offbeat, hardcore section moving right into the most ethereal, spaced out part. I love it. It seems like such a simple point, but I've never thought about listening to the album that way--it sounds like it would be much tighter and better flowing.

Listening to Gilbert Gottfried vs. listening to Fran Drescher, really. Neither song has a hook or direction, and would just drag the album down. SUC is filler, and Winter (in either state; the Brothers version is easier to ignore, so I prefer it) would merely be a more interesting failure.

Honestly, I don't see what's wrong with just having 10 tracks. They're all pretty good, and the transition from GOYB--->Fez is far ahead of SUC--->Fez, so it even works from a sequencing perspective.

i have no problem with doing it that way either.

i thing i appreciate about the Linear version is it captures some of that raw energy of the "War" days. The Brothers version seams more developed, but almost over developed like "Hands that built america".

They were right, WAS is much better than Winter.

See, my 2nd least favorite track on the album. The only weaker track for me was Cedars.

Its obviously all subjective but WAS and Cedars are just bland to me. The Linear version of Winter blows both of those away. Different strokes for different folks.

See, my 2nd least favorite track on the album. The only weaker track for me was Cedars.

Its obviously all subjective but WAS and Cedars are just bland to me. The Linear version of Winter blows both of those away. Different strokes for different folks.

i know for some odd reason, most people hate the "bullets in guns" lyric, but i think that part is pure :drool:. :up:

There's two types of U2 fans: Those that like the Linear version of Winter and those that like the Brothers version.

Now, which ones are crazy and which are sane?

I used to dislike WAS but it's probably the biggest grower on NLOTH for me. And Cedars, well, finally a real good closer for U2 after three weak attempts in a row.

The only thing that LinearWinter is better at is making the chorus have a bigger lift-off. But none of the two versions would make NLOTH amazingly better.

Back
Top Bottom