Window in the Skies Billboard review

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2freakboy

War Child
Here's Billboard's review of Window in the Skies. Let's use this space to comment on the review ... I posted this same review in another topic to discuss the "new album" reference. I think overall the review is pretty positive.

"Hot on the heels of the punk anthem "The Saints Are Coming" recorded with Green Day, U2 spins off a second new track from "U218 Singles," its hits collection for the holidays. "Window in the Skies" is an epic ballad that echoes "City of Blinding Lights" and climaxes with the heart-warming couplet "Can't you see what love has done/And what it's doing to me." It's a jolly, light-filled and somewhat diluted arena gospel with a big falsetto chorus and Bono's trademark "oo-ee-oos," but the biggest rock band sounds indecisive, perhaps already distracted by the Christmas lights. One of U2's poppiest ever, this huggable tune should gain momentum with the first snowfall and keep fans warm until the next studio album, which drops in 2007. —Sven Philipp

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/reviews/index.jsp

In another thread, I also said I couldn't hear *anything* of COBL in it. Unless of course they are referring to the uplifting, positive vibe and grand(ish) scale...

I kinda like the review...makes me feel cozy :drunk:

But I think all these reviews are mispelling "OOTS" as "COBL"

Review seems right to me. It is very sugary. Sounds very George Harrison to me. But that's not a bad thing.

Bee Gees rather than Beatles.

I can't think of many Beatles songs that used falsettos.
Usually it was humour or in a song that already had 2 or 3 vocal parts. U2 is using them as the hook in the chorus.

Huge fucking difference.
Bono is using it in lieu of his old voice.
Sad to say but true.

I don't know bout the rest of you, but I thought the review was right on. It's is one of the Popiest songs I've ever heard from U2,
BUT...U2 pop is much different that mainstream pop. Why? Because U2 pop is in a completely different catagory than something like Justin Timberlake.

I found a couple more WITS reviews ...

This one from extra MSN
http://xtramsn.co.nz/music/0,,13571-6604003,00.html

'Window In The Skies' is all U2, an uplifting mix of strings and that ever-present Edge guitar riff with Bono at the fore. The strings are great, adding another level to the track, and Rick Rubin's work is faultless. It's classic U2, and a very promising indication of new material to come."

and timeoff.com says ...

"an excellent new single (‘Window In The Skies’)"

U2freakboy said:
......and climaxes with the heart-warming couplet "Can't you see what love has done/And what it's doing to me." It's a jolly, light-filled and somewhat diluted arena gospel with a big falsetto chorus and Bono's trademark "oo-ee-oos," but the biggest rock band sounds indecisive, perhaps already distracted by the Christmas lights. One of U2's poppiest ever, this huggable tune should gain momentum with the first snowfall and keep fans warm until the next studio album, which drops in 2007. —Sven Philipp

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/reviews/index.jsp
What the pants are you guys talking about, the latter half of the review is about spot on. omfg u2 hater review :mad:

WITS is, indeed, a crap. Lyrically, melodically. I mean by their standard. But yeah it's enough foreplay before the real new record drops in. Can't wait and this time, I'll make sure nothing stands in my way to see their tour :drool: :drool:

Back
Top Bottom