Will we hear the "1st" version of NLOTH?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LastEdgeOnEarth

The Fly
So Q says that the band has leaned toward the 2nd incarnation of the title track for release. But the description of the first version intrigues me(slow-paced Eno ambient, euphoric coda), while the description of the latter GAGS me!(punky fast ala Vertigo)

Why?

Because I don't want another "Vertigo"!

A great song, but enough's enough already, fella's.

I really hope they release the 1st version at some point on some b-sides collection from Target.

NLOTH: which version should be on album?

I prefer more rockier version. Because, it will increase the no. of hard-hitting
rock songs on the album and will be more accessible to mass audience.

I wouldn't consider Vertigo a punk song at all, so I don't think they'll sound very similar. GYBO will be more similar to Vertigo than NLOTH.

I would like to hear both versions, and I actually think it'd be cool if they put them both on the album (I'm not holding my breath). I'm sure we'll see the layered version get a release as a b-side or part of the $100 bonus package--hopefully we won't be wishing, for "flow" purposes, that it was the version that had been included on the album.

I prefer faster U2 songs myself.

But one thing to count on; there will be plenty of people who won't like whichever version, and claim U2 don't know what they're doing for including said version on the album (or not including).

I prefer faster U2 songs myself.

But one thing to count on; there will be plenty of people who won't like whichever version, and claim U2 don't know what they're doing for including said version on the album (or not including).

You are right about that--inevitable. I can honestly say that I don't know which one I'd like to hear most--I could see both of them being better/worse for this album. My main concern is how it feels on the album; I'm betting that I will actually enjoy both versions.

I'm sure alternate versions of songs will be available so we can have endless posts with alternate track listings and how people preferred the other versions.

That's a fine attempt at a joke, but Devin Hester would have taken that shit to the house.

i bet Brett Favre will whine either way, and then change his mind about it in the confines of his private office.

@OP: it might be helpful to add the descriptions of both versions, that way more people will understand what you are talking about. Cause I don't have a clue ;)

Answering your question: if they really like both versions, the one that is not on the album will likely appear as b-side or as part of a pack on iTunes or something.

@OP: it might be helpful to add the descriptions of both versions, that way more people will understand what you are talking about. Cause I don't have a clue ;)

Answering your question: if they really like both versions, the one that is not on the album will likely appear as b-side or as part of a pack on iTunes or something.

kind of like REM's "Leave". i'm glad they chose the version they put on the album, but it's cool having the 2nd, more ambient version.

I think as soon as U2 drops a song or verison off an album playlist, it seems that many fans are ready to judge it with a friendlier eye. Mercy would be an example of that, as well as Smile and Levitate and the alternate Bomb versions. I think that no matter which one they choose for the album, the other one was always going to be the fan favorite.

no... that's why I rarely post in here...

It just boggles my mind how you guys can have in depth conversions based on conjecture and hearsay and without actually hearing any of the finished material of which you claim to either love or hate...

that's why i'm glad this is place where we can have fun and talk about anything U2 related. plus, we have the freedom to choose whether or not to read certain posts. :)

Back
Top Bottom