will someone explain these "beach clips" to me?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

europop2005

Refugee
i was gone the whole summer and I missed this whole story ...what are they, whats going on? :sad:

Bono & Edge have a house in the south of France. The house abuts the beach. When word got out that the band was going to get together this summer at the house to start working on material, some people started going to the beach to see if they could get a sneak peek at some new music. On one evening, the band were apparently hosting a few members of The Strokes. Apparently, U2 put on a cd of material that they had been working on to show off to The Strokes. It would seem that they were also showing off for the fans, as well, as one person who was there said that Edge peered over the edge of the balcony to see how many people were below, was happy with the number (neither too big nor too small, I guess), and they put the cd on-----loud enough for at least two people below to capture the sound on their digital cameras. A 30-second video first hit the net, featuring the song that has come to be nicknamed "400" (based on the last few numbers of the file in the 18-minute collection that came out later on). The video can still be found on youtube if you search for "u2 eze." A short time later, a 9-minute audio collection of a few songs hit the internet. Within a few days, a full 18-minute collection of audio, featuring 5 songs, was leaked. All of these--the video, and the 9- and 18-minute sets appear to be from the same person. At least one other person recorded some material that evening, but it has not been widely circulated because the taper has placed some heavy restrictions on sharing the material (that said, it's essentially the same as what's in the 18-minute collection, though with almost an entire version of Thank You/403, no 409 at all, and some differences in static & background noise). Of the 18-minute collection, there were five songs, nicknamed 400, 402, 403/Thank You, 404/All My Life, and 409. 409 actually is an unreleased Strokes song. There has been debate on whether or not it's Bono singing along with a cd of the Strokes song, Bono actually singing on the cd that was played, or just a cd of the Strokes song; it's awfully similar to the version of the Strokes song on youtube, though with a somewhat Bono-esque set of extra lines here and there. I personally haven't made up my mind on whether Bono's singing at all (maaaybe the extra lines...), though it's certainly not entirely U2, if at all.

The links for all of these sets are in various threads here in the WTAHNN section of the forum. Of all those available, the one most important to download is the 18-minute set, as it's the most complete.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Great job Utoo. :up: That sums it all up.

When the first sentence was Bono and Edge own a house in France I knew it was gonna be thorough. :lol:

Utoo said:
409 actually is an unreleased Strokes song. . . . it's certainly not entirely U2, if at all.

A. I am so sad!

B. I feel dumb!

(A) I didn't know this!! I thought 409 was a U2 original, and (B) this was my favorite song of the Beach Clips!!!

I'm so bummed. I'd been telling my best friend that I heard this song from these beach clips and I was so excited because it sounded like nothing U2 had ever done before . . . and now I find out there's a reason why it sounds like nothing U2's ever done before . . . BECAUSE IT'S NOT THEM!

I feel duped. Duped and bummed. I know everyone else is raving about 400 and 402, but I loved 409. I thought is was so original (well, and maybe it is original . . . for The Strokes.). I just feel like 400 and 402 are the same 'ol, same 'ol, nothing new. They're not bad, they're just nothing new. That's why I loved 409.

This just completely blew my day. :sad:

I still haven't found any links on this forum to the clips. I looked around - but I only found discussion, no links. I saw that they used to be on the U2Exit website, but those links are down now.

Could someone direct me to these clips? Or email me: daniel.tonkin@uchsc.edu

Thanks

Is there a Link to the beach clips?
i too have been under a rock lately

First off, a couple of old news:
(Sorry if something similar has already been posted)

U2 star Bono, fresh from winning back his stetson, has teamed up with Andrea Corr for a track on her new album. She said: 'I am blown away by his offer.'

http://www.metro.co.uk/fame/greenroom/article.html?in_article_id=26055&in_page_id=12

Bono s-Corrs Andrea's album

October 13, 2006

BONO has teamed up with fellow Irish crooner ANDREA CORR on her new solo album.

The U2 legend has been drafted in as executive producer on the brunette’s first project since THE CORRS decided to have a break in 2004.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,4-2006470638,00.html

Then I spotted this, the possible tracklist of the album:

1. Molly Bloom (3:21)
2. Hold Your Breath (5:14)
3. Easy as the rain (3:56)
4. From Up Above (3:14)
5. Way Back Then (4:12)
6. Night life (4:45)
7. No Exceptions (4:36)
8. Thank You (3:23)
9. Je Ne Sais Pas (Maybe Later) (4:09)
10. On My Own (4:22)
11. Joke (Instrumental -with Youenn Le Berre, from Gwendal) (3:17)

The album is being released in a month, (January 29th, 2007) and I wonder if the eighth track is the same song as the beach clip (403) we heard earlier?
Andrea will play the piano on the record and that beach clip definately has piano in it, but it's Bono singing.
Maybe we'll see another duet?

The clip is 4:15 and Lanois' version is about 4:06 minutes long.
So that means if it is the beach clip then It has been cut down for about a minute.

Last edited:
The_Edge89 said:
First off, a couple of old news:
(Sorry if something similar has already been posted)

Then I spotted this, the possible tracklist of the album:

1. Molly Bloom (3:21)
2. Hold Your Breath (5:14)
3. Easy as the rain (3:56)
4. From Up Above (3:14)
5. Way Back Then (4:12)
6. Night life (4:45)
7. No Exceptions (4:36)
8. Thank You (3:23)
9. Je Ne Sais Pas (Maybe Later) (4:09)
10. On My Own (4:22)
11. Joke (Instrumental -with Youenn Le Berre, from Gwendal) (3:17)

The album is being released in a month, (January 29th, 2007) and I wonder if the eighth track is the same song as the beach clip (403) we heard earlier?
Andrea will play the piano on the record and that beach clip definately has piano in it, but it's Bono singing.
Maybe we'll see another duet?

The clip is 4:15 and Lanois' version is about 4:06 minutes long.
So that means if it is the beach clip then It has been cut down for about a minute.

I'd certainly be fine if they gave 'Thank You' away. It's definitely the weakest track of the beachclips, IMO.

U2_Refugee said:
wait woaahh ifeel stupid, i have beach clip number 2 and youre telling me its not U2 :huh:

Beach clip number 2 as in 402? That's U2. Clip 409 is not U2. And clip 403, 'Thank You,' appears to be something that Bono and Lanois have worked on together. Lanois has performed his version of the song, something a little different than the version we have as 403. And now it possibly (hopefully, that is) will be given off to Andrea Corr for her solo album.

Back
Top Bottom