will SOA be as good as NLOTH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Concerning NLOTH, it would seem that the lack of success (i.e. "hit single") really perturbed the group - they originally felt like making an album a bit out of the mainstream, but still wanted to retain the title of "biggest band in the world" (read Bono's comment about "2009 being our year") so they tacked on GOYB and IGCIIDGCT. The problem that eats at them now, however, is that the singles busted and, if having stuck with their original intent of not making a particularly "commercial" record, the album may not have been viewed as a "flop" per se. Now in effort to remain relevant (by commercial market standards), U2 will probably not be giving us the somber SOA as previously described - no, we will most likely be getting another HTDAAB-caliber affair.

I know a few people like to get on McGuinness for the band's decisions/ direction at times, but I don't really blame him. Reading U2 by U2, he's the only one still completely enchanted by Zooropa, while Bono brings up the fact that he would have liked a couple of singles on the record.

NLOTH is, I fear, as experimental as it will get for U2 from here on out. SOA will, in my opinion, not be released in its current state and we will be waiting some time before U2 feels strong enough about their hot 45's. With that said, I do not mean to downplay the potential quality of Songs of Ascent, but only that if "experimental = better," you will most likely be disappointed.

This is all just my 2 cents, of course... :corn:

My prediction is that SOA will not come. The guys will decide for a more commerical release, with some big hits. They wanna be played on the radio again, they wanna be popular with the kids to get the younger ones in. And this will mean that the next album will not be better than NLOTH...

But I hope I am wrong.

My prediction is that SOA will not come. The guys will decide for a more commerical release, with some big hits. They wanna be played on the radio again, they wanna be popular with the kids to get the younger ones in. And this will mean that the next album will not be better than NLOTH...

But I hope I am wrong.

I don't see any reason why SOA shouldn't have some big hits....

Back
Top Bottom