will SOA be as good as NLOTH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We already heard Winter. It's a very average song (IMO). Why do we want this on an album? Leave the new album alone. Let Winter catch hypothermia and die already. Let SOA or whatever it's going to be called have a fresh batch of songs. No Winter, No Stranded, No Mercy, No Boy Falls From Sky. Newness (even if they are old songs, but they'll be new to us)

Why did you give me a link to a Wikipedia article on Linear? What does that have to do with anything?

And that's cool. You're free to think U2 missed the deadline as much as you want. (Even though they wrote the song more than a year before the movie came out, and the studio would never throw away the money that increased sales from having a U2 song on it would mean - even if they had to delay the soundtrack for weeks or months.) :)

You said There is not a single version of the song currently available AS MUSIC - and there is, on Linear. That is why the link was posted.

How U2 Got That Globes Nomination | The Wrap

edit - Winter was never associated with anything else but that soundtrack, the band never said it was planned for NLOTH or SOA. Are you basing your theory on that newsbit about Edge tinkering with an electronic version of Winter from a little while ago ?

We already heard Winter. It's a very average song (IMO). Why do we want this on an album? Leave the new album alone. Let Winter catch hypothermia and die already. Let SOA or whatever it's going to be called have a fresh batch of songs. No Winter, No Stranded, No Mercy, No Boy Falls From Sky. Newness (even if they are old songs, but they'll be new to us)

It's not a question of want. Personally, I'd rather have all new songs.

You said There is not a single version of the song currently available AS MUSIC - and there is, on Linear. That is why the link was posted.

edit - Winter was never associated with anything else but that soundtrack, the band never said it was planned for NLOTH or SOA. Are you basing your theory on that newsbit about Edge tinkering with an electronic version of Winter from a little while ago ?

Linear is a movie. The song is available IN A MOVIE not AS MUSIC. But I kinda sorta think that you know what I mean and are just playing semantic games.....:wave:

I am basing my theory on the MULTIPLE reasons I have been giving that lead me to think the song will be released. Am I being unclear?

this whole "Winter" argument is the worst thing i've read since......i can't think of anything worse...

Don't bother, he won't listen. I tried to make him see that already and he's just too blind and stubborn to see. :shrug:
All his argument is based upon is that little ditty indeed, and yet he calls us out that there's NO argument against it. While a lot of people have proven plenty.

this whole "Winter" argument is the worst thing i've read since......i can't think of anything worse...

The setlist forum has been so dead lately...

Don't bother, he won't listen. I tried to make him see that already and he's just too blind and stubborn to see. :shrug:
All his argument is based upon is that little ditty indeed, and yet he calls us out that there's NO argument against it. While a lot of people have proven plenty.

The setlist forum has been so dead lately...

Look. I've mad a very clear point. It is dishonest to pretend I haven't: The song appeared in two movies, but is not available to buy as music. U2 have never released a song simply in a movie without also making it available for individual purchase in some form or another. To do so would be to throw away money. There are also other lesser reasons which I've also made to support my point. I'm not blind and I'm not that stubborn, but you might be intellectually dishonest if you're going to keep pretending that you don't understand my very simple and reasonable point.

I have never suggested that I KNOW the song will be on the next album, but that I personally believe it is more likely than not to.

As far as the arguments which you say have been "proven." The only alternate reasons even suggested on this forum for the song not being released yet (Both without any factual support whatsoever) are either than the movie studio couldn't afford the rights or that U2 didn't hand in their homework on time. It is my opinion that both of these suggestions are patently ridiculous.

Look. I've mad a very clear point. It is dishonest to pretend I haven't: The song appeared in two movies, but is not available to buy as music. U2 have never released a song simply in a movie without also making it available for individual purchase in some form or another. To do so would be to throw away money. There are other lesser reasons which I've also made to support my point. I'm not blind and I'm not that stubborn, but you might be intellectually dishonest if you're going to keep pretending that you don't understand my very simple point.

your points make sense, but i do wonder if the fact that people can easily rip music from DVD's would put less pressure on U2 to physically release it. as far as the "money" comment, i'm sure the band has already seen their small cut of the movie's earnings since their song was featured.

your points make sense, but i do wonder if the fact that people can easily rip music from DVD's would put less pressure on U2 to physically release it. as far as the "money" comment, i'm sure the band has already seen their small cut of the movie's earnings since their song was featured.

Thank you! :applaud:

Well, people can much more easily rip music from CDs than DVDs and that doesn't stop U2 from releasing CDs....

And neither the rip from Linear or the in-theatre recording from Brothers are THAT high quality...

Thank you! :applaud:

Well, people can much more easily rip music from CDs than DVDs and that doesn't stop U2 from releasing DVDs....

And neither the rip from Linear or the in-theatre recording from Brothers are THAT high quality...

all it takes is one person to rip it from the DVD and then distribute among the masses. as i said earlier, if "Winter" makes it to the album in late 2011, i think it will be in a different from than both Linear and Brothers.

all it takes is one person to rip it from the DVD and then distribute among the masses. as i said earlier, if "Winter" makes it to the album in late 2011, i think it will be in a different from than both Linear and Brothers.

I think that's true about it being a different version on the album.

But piracy is yet to stop U2 from releasing music.

Niceman, you need to move forward about 10 years...into the present.

There is not a single version of the song currently available AS MUSIC.

Not officially, but I definitely have 2 versions of this song AS MUSIC. As we all do.

And you claim that it's "laughable" and "patently ridiculous" that the studio wouldn't pay for the U2 song to add it to the soundtrack, but do you know how many copies OSTs sell? Hint: not many. Especially for movies that don't do jack shit at the box office. The price tag could easily have kept the song off the soundtrack. And U2 didn't take the Linear track and tinker with it...they redid pretty much the entire song. For U2 that takes time, especially when they're busy touring around. Thus, the possibility that they missed the deadline is not "patently ridiculous".

And anyway, why would including the song on the soundtrack decrease its chances of being on SOA? To point to its absence as some kind of Dan Brownish clue is, in my opinion, a bit ridiculous.

Niceman, you need to move forward about 10 years...into the present.

There is not a single version of the song currently available AS MUSIC.

Not officially, but I definitely have 2 versions of this song AS MUSIC. As we all do.

And you claim that it's "laughable" and "patently ridiculous" that the studio wouldn't pay for the U2 song to add it to the soundtrack, but do you know how many copies OSTs sell? Hint: not many. Especially for movies that don't do jack shit at the box office. The price tag could easily have kept the song off the soundtrack. And U2 didn't take the Linear track and tinker with it...they redid pretty much the entire song. For U2 that takes time, especially when they're busy touring around. Thus, the possibility that they missed the deadline is not "patently ridiculous".

And anyway, why would including the song on the soundtrack decrease its chances of being on SOA? To point to its absence as some kind of Dan Brownish clue is, in my opinion, a bit ridiculous.

Have I traveled to some alternate universe version of interference where everyone is crazy!?!?!?!?!? :reject: I have made such a simple and obvious point and in return I have been called anal, paranoid, blind, stubborn, and now I live in the past!

I really don't care whether you people think Winter will be on the next album enough to continue to endure this kind of abuse! My point makes sense!

Bram - by your logic, U2 should just leak SOA and go on tour. I may have been born in the 70s, but I'm not so new and hip as to think that U2 isn't still trying to make money selling their songs.

And yes, it is laughable to suggest that the studio wouldn't pay for the song. I spent a summer working in the WB music office as the assistant to the VP. WB DOES make money on the soundtracks, and you can be sure that having a U2 song on there would multiply that amount. But seriously, isn't all of this REALLY obvious?

i have the answer:

NO ONE KNOWS ANYTHING!!!!

I could see Winter being on the album (wasn't UTEOTW on a soundtrack?) - Wasn't Stay written for another Wim Wenders filim? And these were songs specifically written for these films, but the band decided to keep them for albums as well.

Then again, i could see Winter not being on the album. Examples: Hold Me, thrill me wasn't on POP, The Hands That Built America wasn't on BOMB.

So, in the end, no one knows anything. That's the God's honest truth.

I, for one, hope they don't decide to include this incredibly average war song on the record. in fact, i hope they stop writing about war in the mid-east altogether. They nailed the theme with WAS and COL. It's time for new themes. To quote a U2 song, "we need new dreams tonight"

Wasn't Stay originally written in Berlin, only it was called "Sinatra" back then ?
I believe the AB UTEOTW version predates the soundtrack version.

UTEOTW was released on AB before the film, but it was written for the film first, and then U2 decided it was too good to not put on an album. Written for film, but released on AB before the film got released.

i have the answer:

NO ONE KNOWS ANYTHING!!!!

I could see Winter being on the album (wasn't UTEOTW on a soundtrack?) - Wasn't Stay written for another Wim Wenders filim? And these were songs specifically written for these films, but the band decided to keep them for albums as well.

Then again, i could see Winter not being on the album. Examples: Hold Me, thrill me wasn't on POP, The Hands That Built America wasn't on BOMB.

So, in the end, no one knows anything. That's the God's honest truth.

I, for one, hope they don't decide to include this incredibly average war song on the record. in fact, i hope they stop writing about war in the mid-east altogether. They nailed the theme with WAS and COL. It's time for new themes. To quote a U2 song, "we need new dreams tonight"

I also hope it isn't on the album, I'd rather we get new material. Maybe as the 13th track?

I will mention that Hands That Built America was on an album: the best of album. And while HMTMKMKM may not have been on POP, the situation is different as the song WAS on the Batman soundtrack AND saw release as a single....As opposed to Winter which has been on no CD and isn't even available for sale as an MP3........
I'm just sayin'! ;) :reject:

I also hope it isn't on the album, I'd rather we get new material. Maybe as the 13th track?

I will mention that Hands That Built America was on an album: the best of album. And while HMTMKMKM may not have been on POP, the situation is different as the song WAS on the Batman soundtrack AND saw release as a single....As opposed to Winter which has been on no CD and isn't even available for sale as an MP3........ I'm just sayin'! ;) :reject:

Is there going to be a soundtrack for the film?

Or maybe the band is ashamed of it and don't want it touching an album or mp3 sale...haha

Back
Top Bottom