will SOA be as good as NLOTH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2 wouldn't have held back on releasing Winter to coincide with the release of the movie Brothers if they didn't have a need for it. It isn't shelved.

I'm not following your logic. It seems pretty clear that they were holding Winter back for the movie--not for another album. I believe the attachment of this song to Brothers was reported before NLOTH was even released.

This doesn't mean that they won't consider releasing it on an album, but I find it unlikely. If it hadn't been used for the movie, then I'd expect it to resurface. And remember, we no longer have any assurances that SOA, as it's been described to us thus far, is going to be their next album. They've been writing a lot of new songs and they seem to be leaning towards going with a more mainstream sound than SOA could deliver.

I'm not following your logic. It seems pretty clear that they were holding Winter back for the movie--not for another album. I believe the attachment of this song to Brothers was reported before NLOTH was even released.

This doesn't mean that they won't consider releasing it on an album, but I find it unlikely. If it hadn't been used for the movie, then I'd expect it to resurface. And remember, we no longer have any assurances that SOA, as it's been described to us thus far, is going to be their next album. They've been writing a lot of new songs and they seem to be leaning towards going with a more mainstream sound than SOA could deliver.

agreed.

Stop being logical Bram, it makes no sense in this part of the forum. :tsk:

Btw, SOA has to be the worst album acronym EVER. In my country that's the acronym for STD. :|

The song WAS NOT included on the Brothers soundtrack! It is currently in 2 movies, but unreleased!!!

The song WAS NOT included on the Brothers soundtrack! It is currently in 2 movies, but unreleased!!!

So? Everyone's heard it and can easily access it online (2 versions no less). While I enjoy the Brothers version, it'd be a bad sign for the album if they're holding back all these tracks on us and end up including that one. They might do an uptempo version, which I'd be ok with. But don't hold your breath.

So? Everyone's heard it and can easily access it online (2 versions no less). While I enjoy the Brothers version, it'd be a bad sign for the album if they're holding back all these tracks on us and end up including that one. They might do an uptempo version, which I'd be ok with. But don't hold your breath.

I don't understand how you think. The song is NOT YET COMMERCIALLY RELEASED!

Why? You have a theory beyond that they wanted it for the next album???

Yes. The licensing costs were too much to include it on the soundtrack.

This is similar to the reason why we never get the snippets of other people's songs that Bono sings on U2's live albums.

Yes. The licensing costs were too much to include it on the soundtrack.

This is similar to the reason why we never get the snippets of other people's songs that Bono sings on U2's live albums.

The song remains commercially unreleased. This is a decision U2 has made. My theory is that they want to save it for something. You have a different one???

You think that a movie with the money to afford to have a cast like Brothers had couldn't afford whatever fee U2 asked them for in order to include a song U2 wrote specifically for the film on the soundtrack? That makes no sense whatsoever....

if Winter makes the album, which imo won't come out until late 2011, i'm sure it would be in a much different from than both the Linear and Brothers versions. my guy tells me that Winter won't be on the new album though.

Whether or not Winter is on the album is irrelevant. We KNOW it'll be better than NLOTH regardless, as long it's called SOA.

again, from an interview in December about Brothers and about the plans for U2 this year, didn't Bono say Edge was working on an electronic version of Winter in the studio? We could very well see Winter in yet another fashion. Whether we do or don't, we don't know, and how are we supposed to know if U2 don't even know? We're in entirely uncharted waters for U2. Such a long gap between legs of their gigantic tour, and they might release an album, and they might not. What we do know is they are seemingly dedicated to getting us some new songs next year, whether it be a release or just playing new songs live and in concert. We should be excited that they are going to do that.

The song remains commercially unreleased. This is a decision U2 has made. My theory is that they want to save it for something. You have a different one???

You think that a movie with the money to afford to have a cast like Brothers had couldn't afford whatever fee U2 asked them for in order to include a song U2 wrote specifically for the film on the soundtrack? That makes no sense whatsoever....

Sigh.

OK, there's a song. Let's call it I Still Haven't Found The Miracle Drug Africa Is Looking For. It's released in the sequel to Titanic (let's call it...The Cork). 90 million people hear the song at the theater, it's the music played when U2 comes onstage (so you know it has been discussed a whole fucking lot), and they perform it on Conan O Brien's Masturbating Bear spinoff. However, it never found its way onto No More Flops On The Horizon (a collection of Phil Collins covers and Jay-Z collaborations, NLOTH's sequel), or the soundtrack to The Cork (nearly identical to New Moon's, which is too indietastic for U2, I guess). U2 is soon releasing a rock opera about a misunderstood Irishman with Messianic powers and mindblowing guitar skills. The question is: do they include ISHFTMDAILF?

Now, let's consider the current situation. Winter was included in not one, but TWO films. Both U2 fans and moviegoers are privy to it. On top of that, Winter was nominated for a Golden Globe. Now, I know nobody watches awards shows, but I think the above may have spoiled the potential surprise a hair. U2 is releasing a concept album about pilgrimage in the...well...not near future, but eventually. The question is: do they include Winter? Bonus question: how is Winter any more obscure than The Hands That Built America, which never came close to seeing an album release?

I don't understand how you think. The song is NOT YET COMMERCIALLY RELEASED!

Why? You have a theory beyond that they wanted it for the next album???

It is. Linear is a commercial product.

And I sincerely think that there is NO way they'll recycle it for the new album.

Sigh.

OK, there's a song. Let's call it I Still Haven't Found The Miracle Drug Africa Is Looking For. It's released in the sequel to Titanic (let's call it...The Cork). 90 million people hear the song at the theater, it's the music played when U2 comes onstage (so you know it has been discussed a whole fucking lot), and they perform it on Conan O Brien's Masturbating Bear spinoff. However, it never found its way onto No More Flops On The Horizon (a collection of Phil Collins covers and Jay-Z collaborations, NLOTH's sequel), or the soundtrack to The Cork (nearly identical to New Moon's, which is too indietastic for U2, I guess). U2 is soon releasing a rock opera about a misunderstood Irishman with Messianic powers and mindblowing guitar skills. The question is: do they include ISHFTMDAILF?

Now, let's consider the current situation. Winter was included in not one, but TWO films. Both U2 fans and moviegoers are privy to it. On top of that, Winter was nominated for a Golden Globe. Now, I know nobody watches awards shows, but I think the above may have spoiled the potential surprise a hair. U2 is releasing a concept album about pilgrimage in the...well...not near future, but eventually. The question is: do they include Winter? Bonus question: how is Winter any more obscure than The Hands That Built America, which never came close to seeing an album release?

The Hands that Built America was released on an album; a best of album. There is no format in which Winter can be bought or sold: no album, no single, no soundtrack, no mp3 download. I find it utterly incomprehensible that anyone would think U2 would have the song featured in 2 films and yet NOT release it in any form whatsoever. I mean, I don't even get how you can THINK that!?!?!?!?!? Seriously!?!?!? Does anyone seriously think this could possible conceivably be true!???!?!??

It is. Linear is a commercial product.

And I sincerely think that there is NO way they'll recycle it for the new album.

Linear is a movie, and so is Brothers, but I think it is obvious that U2 has never written a song for a movie without also making a version of the song available for purchase in sonic format. And I can't imagine any incentive for them ever doing so.

The fact that the song is up for awards should make this point all the more obvious.

The Hands that Built America was released on an album; a best of album.

If there is a Best Of 2000-2010, I'd say there is an 80% chance of Winter finding a home there. Cynical though I may seem regarding U2, I doubt there will be one, but I think that possibility (even taking into account the longshot of U2 dedicating a compilation to three albums) is far greater than U2 recycling the song once more for an album with a supposedly fleshed out lyrical theme. Or any album, for that matter.

Sigh.

Also, please notice that Hands That Built America was on the soundtrack to Gangs of New York:

Amazon.com: Gangs of New York: Howard Shore: Music

Back
Top Bottom