Will.i.am: An asset or a liability to NLOTH? - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Where The Album Has A Name - Songs of Experience
Click Here to Login

Old 03-12-2009, 02:06 PM   #41
War Child

Local Time: 06:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishteen View Post
He did keyboards and production on Crazy Tonight
He did production and vocals on NLOTH 2
If this is the case, I'd say that he definitely was a liability.

ultraviolet7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 05:41 PM   #42
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 10:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilotheMayor View Post
You bring up some interesting points.
I'm not sure how, but this left me cracking up hysterically for 5 minutes, no joke

Rob33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 06:09 PM   #43
The Fly

Local Time: 02:12 AM
I don't think he matters in terms of the album.

but in terms of U2 saying "hey, you know who'd really help our sound? will.I.am." or "hey, you know who's a karrraazzyy up-and-comer to keep your eye on? will.I.am."

That's a liability. Seriously. U2, sometimes, needs to get out more.
corcovadosong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 06:19 PM   #44
The Fly

Local Time: 01:12 AM
I think he is responsible for the odd vocal take on NLOTH 2. Bono sounds too fast and nasal. But I'll Go Crazy... is a good song so i dont know. Hes not that bad.
JJF92U2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 05:33 AM   #45
Acrobat

Local Time: 07:12 AM
I think he hardly did anything on the album. apparently the version of Crazy tonight he produced wasn't used (althopugh some samples from it survived to the final take, probably the strings).

He plays keyboards on magnificent and on NLOTH2 as well as some backing vocals on the latter.

So as he has not added much, it's difficult to tell if his influence has been positive or negative. We'll probably get to hear his mix of Magnificent, though and I would like to hear his "more over the top" version of Crazy tonight
santiago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 10:11 AM   #46
Ghost of Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by corcovadosong View Post
I don't think he matters in terms of the album.

but in terms of U2 saying "hey, you know who'd really help our sound? will.I.am." or "hey, you know who's a karrraazzyy up-and-comer to keep your eye on? will.I.am."

That's a liability. Seriously. U2, sometimes, needs to get out more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by santiago View Post
I think he hardly did anything on the album. apparently the version of Crazy tonight he produced wasn't used (althopugh some samples from it survived to the final take, probably the strings).

He plays keyboards on magnificent and on NLOTH2 as well as some backing vocals on the latter.

So as he has not added much, it's difficult to tell if his influence has been positive or negative. We'll probably get to hear his mix of Magnificent, though and I would like to hear his "more over the top" version of Crazy tonight
What I don't get is how you guys can say something like "he didn't do anything" or "he didnt add much". The simple fact is he had a hand in the final product of 3 songs that we love, and he's given credit for that. Even if some of his stuff didn't get used, he was part of the PROCESS and that is how great music is made. The song would not sound the same without what he added, and what we have is what U2 wanted to present: with/without will.i.am's parts.

The only reason anyone here is trying to minimize his influence is because he's a member of a hip-pop group and you hate him. If it was some other 'rock' artist, people would be falling all over themselves trying to pinpoint the exact parts that person contributed and singing praises and giving U2 thumbs ups for bringing in said rock artist and saying ' like omg he/she really enhanced the song!!!11!!' When Edge gets credits for backing vocals, do we all go 'yeah well his backing vocals didn't really add anything to the song or matter in the album' ??
gvox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 01:19 PM   #47
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

gvox, you should know by now from reading interference for years. Hip hop isn't real music therefore hip hop folks aren't real musicians.

Duh
BVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 01:25 PM   #48
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:12 PM
Bono = Hip Hop

listen to him at the end of Wire, on the album, or live. He spits hot fire.
catlhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 02:42 PM   #49
Refugee

Well, he is going on tour with the band.... that says it all...
Zooropa man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 03:22 PM   #50
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooropa man View Post
Well, he is going on tour with the band.... that says it all...
Really?

How does that say it all?
Old 03-13-2009, 03:36 PM   #51
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoVoxSupastar View Post
Really?

How does that say it all?
C'mon... Black Eyed Peas are awful. They can do better then that.

I was surprised when they brought him on board for the production of Crazy. The good thing is that I can't hear any influence at all.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:54 PM   #52
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooropa man View Post
C'mon... Black Eyed Peas are awful. They can do better then that.

I was surprised when they brought him on board for the production of Crazy. The good thing is that I can't hear any influence at all.
Actually early BEP are pretty damn good. And he did more than Crazy...

Yet you still haven't told me how "it says it all"...
Old 03-13-2009, 04:10 PM   #53
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoVoxSupastar View Post
Actually early BEP are pretty damn good. And he did more than Crazy...

Yet you still haven't told me how "it says it all"...
I was being sarcastic... if that's allowed.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:40 AM   #54
Acrobat

Local Time: 07:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvox View Post
What I don't get is how you guys can say something like "he didn't do anything" or "he didnt add much". The simple fact is he had a hand in the final product of 3 songs that we love, and he's given credit for that. Even if some of his stuff didn't get used, he was part of the PROCESS and that is how great music is made. The song would not sound the same without what he added, and what we have is what U2 wanted to present: with/without will.i.am's parts.

The only reason anyone here is trying to minimize his influence is because he's a member of a hip-pop group and you hate him. If it was some other 'rock' artist, people would be falling all over themselves trying to pinpoint the exact parts that person contributed and singing praises and giving U2 thumbs ups for bringing in said rock artist and saying ' like omg he/she really enhanced the song!!!11!!' When Edge gets credits for backing vocals, do we all go 'yeah well his backing vocals didn't really add anything to the song or matter in the album' ??
Errr... no, no, you misunderstand me.

I am in no way trying to minimise his influence because of not liking him, it's just that I think his influence is not very strong on this album. He has a couple of additional production credits, plays additional keyboards on Crazy tonight Magnificent (as does Bono on the latter) and sings additional backing vocals on NLOTH2. That's quite a bit, but there's no song he has actually produced or mixed (in the way that Lanois, Eno, Lyllywhite etc.. have), so his influence is very difficult to pinpoint.

I would really like to hear the crazy tonight version he produced, and we'll eventually get to hear his remix of Magnificent, but on the released version of the album he has not done much.

In terms of sonic contribution, I think Cenzo Townshend, Terry Lawless and Declan Gaffney have contributed a lot more, but as they are not famous, we are not discussing them as much as we perhaps should.

So bring on further collaborations between will.i.am and U2, what I've heard isnt' bad, but it's really difficult to judge the quality of his contributions on this one.
santiago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:01 AM   #55
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlhere View Post
Bono = Hip Hop

listen to him at the end of Wire, on the album, or live. He spits hot fire.
Please don't bring up the end of Wire. Cringe-worthiest lyrics the man ever wrote.

I'm on your side
Be on the both side
I'm on right track
You get off my back
I'm no dope
I give you hope.

I think I just threw up a little in my mouth. I also think this song singlehandedly keeps the first half of UF from being the best U2 side ever.

bram is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nloth, no line on the horizon, will.i.am