Wide Awake in Europe VS. Wide Awake in America

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We live in a world where "A Man and a Woman" survives, but "Mercy" and "Fast Cars" get tossed in the bin.

Think about that for a minute.

:applaud:

And I disagree with Bono - are 12 or 13 songs really "too much of a good thing" vs. 11 songs? Especially when the two cut songs are so much better than what was left?

:up::up:

Miracle Drug is an awesome song.

Compared to "A Man and a Woman" or "One Step Closer", it's like the best song ever. Those are the real two tracks I would have ditched (but I still challenge having both Crumbs and Drug on the album).

I honestly am of the opinion that HTDAAB should have kept Fast Cars, AYGWF, and then Mercy and had a nice long album. Try it! It's more satisfying. I don't see why 11 songs is sacred.

11 songs is sacred because The Joshua Tree had 11 songs and U2 have been subconsciously trying to recreate that era (earnest goodguys playing earnest anthems for the everyman). That's why NLOTH had such an indifferent response, because Bono had short hair...that doesn't link up with 1987 Bono.

I'm just kidding folks. Sort of.

ozeeko said:
11 songs is sacred because The Joshua Tree had 11 songs and U2 have been subconsciously trying to recreate that era (earnest goodguys playing earnest anthems for the everyman).

A Rush of Blood To The Head's 11 tracks made it Coldplay's biggest album ever. They channeled this era of U2 so well that nobody noticed Chris Martin had short hair.

Back
Top Bottom